Australian RC Forums banner

1/16 HSP 4WD Buggy battery issue

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  old4570 
#1 ·
Hi I bought my son a HSP 94185-88801 Stealth Mini 2.4Ghz Electric 4WD Off Road RTR 1/16 Scale RC Buggy and he absolutely loves it.
However the battery only lasts about 15 mins - is this normal?
Is there anything I can do to extend the battery duration?

this uses a 7.2v 1100mAh Ni-MH battery - can I get another battery to swap out? can I get a 7.2v 2000mAh or even a 3000mAh Ni-MH battery? would those last longer?????

finally, what kind of maintenance should I be doing on this to extend its life expectancy?

thank you for helping out this newbie to RC cars!

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Siggy,

15 minutes isn't too bad, really. You'll find that the battery will last a bit longer on concrete or ashphalt and less so on grass and dirt due to the amount of rolling resistance. Maybe just see if you can get an extra battery like the one that comes with it to double your run time.

#4 ·
i had a car that ran on a 7.4v NiCad I think 1500mah, it never lasted too long (I think NiCad batts draw too much charge) I'm not sure, but I pulled it out and put in a 7.4v 2S lipo 2250mah, it last around 20-25 mins. and seems quicker than the NiCad. give it a go, if it all gets warm, I wouldn't continue.

#5 ·
For longer running time your best bet is to run a 2S lipo. You will then need a proper charger. A great entry level charger is the B6AC. Then measure your existing battery and find a 2S with the same or similar dimensions. Where are you located?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#8 ·
For longer running time your best bet is to run a 2S lipo. You will then need a proper charger. A great entry level charger is the B6AC. Then measure your existing battery and find a 2S with the same or similar dimensions. Where are you located?
Thank you for your help - I thought Lipo batteries are quite dangerous? How easy is it to set up the charger?

I am on the Central Coast - NSW

Will the connectors on a 2S be the same as the Mi-Mh battery?

As you can see, I am a total noob at this - but my son loves his new toy!

#13 ·
Hmmm

Looks like a nice buggy ...

Another battery will cost you in the region of $10 to $15 ozzi ...
It should have come with a 2s balance charger ..
Charges VIA balance leads ?

If you wan't help , post a picture of your current charger and battery ..
Give us the dimensions of the battery , and let us know if there is room for a larger battery in the buggy ...

A lot of people run larger batteries for longer run time .. Yes they will weigh more but many buggies are a little on the over powered side so loosing a little speed / acceleration to gain more weight / traction / run time , might be just the ticket .

Just depends on the lay out and balance ( some batteries are used to counter balance the motor )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.