Australian RC Forums banner

Newbie needs help please

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  mouse 
#1 ·
Hi Guys I am totally new to RC buggys. Ok with Helis and planes though.

I have just received a 1/8 0.21 nitro buggy.
I fueled it and it started for a second/.
fast start then died. did this a couple of times.
I dont know if the HSN is set correctly and have found conflicting settings over the web from half turns to full turns start points etc etc

What is the correct HSN setting just to get going at least?
And is it set but turning needle CW fully closed then backing out or starting with nut flush and turning CW (or CCW)?

Thanks for your help in advance

#2 ·
Hi flyoz.

Not sure how much of a help i will be as I'm still learning engine tuning myself.
Best to try and get a copy of the manual for your engine to get factory settings, as different engines have different factory settings. Looks like you have already searched but try searching for Factory setting for your engine make and model.
I think as a ruff rule of thumb, both screws HSN & LSN should be apx. level with the housing there in. You set factory setting by screwing in CW till closed then counting the turns out CCW.

Also check the gap on the throttle slide in the intake of the carby, it should be around 0.7 to 1.0mm gap. A paper clip straightened out is good to use for this, there about 0.7mm thick.

Good luck.
Hope this helps.

#3 · (Edited)
Your dead on the money Mouse... Thanks for your help. really appreciated it

I set all the points exactly as you said but also changed the Glow plug (even though the orig seemed to glow well) and bam started and ran like a sewing machine (or should I say formula one car.)

The Ming Yang manual had no comment or figures same as their sparse web site( I think because it was a test job sent to a local wholesaler. The manual was fairly comprehensive of assembly linkage etc just nothing on the engine

I suspect there may have been a bit of a blockage in the low end needle as it all seemed to work after I moved the needle back and forth in resetting it. (dont know just a guess here)

#4 ·
As usual wHen researching the correct answer you find 5 conflicting results.
Mouse was dead on above and that would suit 99%.

I finally found what the engine is Strange symbol on side like part of an engine with C alongside:
Its a Force 21 engine again the pull start version has 3 differing part numbers as well Doh.
But the closest i found looks like the Force R21 P4 or 03 version
And yest its written up as an OFNA engine in the manual double doh

Here is what they say:
NEEDLE SETTINGS
Master Needle Valve - main control for fuel mixture. Set at 1 1/2 to 2 turns from closed. Adjust this needle for
maximum RPM and power without being too lean or too hot. Make sure you start at bottom of needle seat!!
Side Carburetor Needle (Low Speed) - This needle is in the center side of the carburetor and provide throttle
response. It is not the idle adjustment. Set FLUSH with the brass sleeve. Turning in is Lean and Out is Rich. Do
not adjust this needle until the Master Needle is set for power and top speed. This will only effect throttle response.
FOR THREE NEEDLE CARBURETORS, DO NOT ADJUST MID RANGE NEEDLE, PRESET BY FACTORY
Barrel Stop Screws - Used for adjusting Idle. Set for 1/16th inch gap to start new engines. You can open more for
faster idle.
Hope this all helps someone else
Other similar engines Ive found state 3-4 turns out from low etc etc etc and Confusion reigns supreme.

#5 ·
Great to hear you have it running. Just keep an eye on the engine temp and that you have smoke coming out of the exhaust. Running too lean/hot will damage the engine real quick.
I will try to add an tuning flow chart I found on the web. I found it good to help get the tune in a ball park area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.