Australian RC Forums banner

losi mini 8ight need help customizing

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  logo 
#1 ·
hi all
im a real newbie and just got a losi mini 8ight for my 14th birthday (my brother bought it best brother ever :cool: ) but any way im am extremly pleased but would like a new spoiler and body just wondering the best place to buy them also been running it with a 3s lipo and would like to strengthen the whole thing up how would i do this and where would i buy the parts ive been looking on amazon at carbon fibre top plate and shock towers how much would that strengthen it any way all posts are much appreciated thanks heaps
cheers logo
:D

#4 ·
Check out "squirrelod mini 8ight" on YouTube. Not new but decent info on upgrades and outcomes. Me personally I have up graded to thick cf shock towers. I use cable ties to protect the top of the towers although you can buy delrin covers if you want a more schmick look. Best thing I bought was a GPM front bumper. Tbone racing also make a decent one so I read. Saved me heaps of $$ in broken parts. Do you run on dirt or road? I have given mine hell and it keeps coming back for more. Currently being re- built to fix all the carnage from the last two years of bmx track fun.

#7 ·
It was just the GPM wide bumper. Not reason for choosing just the availability at my lhs. Make the choice depending on the style you are after. The GPM is smaller the the tbone racing one. I did grind down some of the bumper on the underside to improve ground clearance

#15 ·
Parts advice for the mini 8ight

Hi Logo,

My son and I have had a couple of mini 8ights that have mostly been run at bmx tracks and a little on the street and we've had a some experience now on what to look out for, so here's some advice to help minimise breakages, wearing stuff out and what might be good spares/upgrades to go for :

Hitting things hard can bust out the front hinge pins on your A-arms in the frontmost suspension retainer. You can get xpensive alunminium ones, but if you haven't busted one yet, here's a good tip to make what you have stronger : The pin is a little short, so doesn't reach the end of the hole in the front retainer and busts out more easily than it should, so you can fix this a few ways : 1. Get some 2.5mm piano wire from a hobby shop like hearns hobbies or even better 2.5mm stainless rod and cut some new ones 43mm long. (brass it too soft and bends) 2. Cut a little bit of wire about 1mm long and drop it in the hole at the rear suspension retainer (of the front suspension) to push the pin further forward. 3. put a grub screw in the rear retainer and wind it forward to do the same thing.

Make sure your A-arms hit their end stops (the little grub screws you can wind in or out to set ride height) BEFORE your shocks bottom out. This will save you busting lower shock rod ends.

Keep an eye on not getting dirt in your gears or they will wear out fast. I ended up 3d printing a gear cover like the Driven productions one that they don't make anymore since we run on bmx tracks and it has saved us a lot of gears.

MAke sure your slipper clutch works and the gear mesh is good. And have some spur gears spare, because they do wear out and have a shorter life if the slipper clutch is not working or mesh is bad.

Consider running 2s batteries. They are pretty damn quick already and 3s means more speed, and more stuff busted unless you are veeery careful. You can so some battery tray mods to fit in some common hobbyking 1800mah 40c zippys that are less than $15 each, or Metro hobbies sell some gens ace 1800mah 20c's for $20 or so that go right in.

You can make a rear skid plate or even your own bumper out of the flat bits of plastic in the muddle of milk crates. Good fun!

Pretty much Any 1/10 road wheel with a 12mm hex will fit your car and will save those nice pin tyres from wearing out fast on the road. Heaps of cheap ones can be had on ebay, but your hobby shop will have better ones. They are a little smaller, but with a 3s, you are no doubt fast enough! Don't over-tighten the wheelnuts, or the plastic hexes will push further in permanently and rub, slowing you down!

That's about it for now. Let me know if u have any other questions.

I don't know if u are in Melb, but we're fairly new to RC really and just visited KEORCA's track in Keilor park this weekend for a big race meet and it was great. We're probably going to join to get more involved. It looks like a great place to run the mini 8ight. There is no racing class for them at the moment, but if there are enough people about with mini's maybe they/we could run a 1/14, 1/16 mini class next year for fun...

cheers,

Richard and Tobe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.