Australian RC Forums banner

1/10 scratch built Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

18K views 69 replies 9 participants last post by  Kevb 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all...!
New to this forum, but I thought I might share my current build... It's a Holden HX Sandman Overlander Panel Van on a somewhat modified TF2 chassis. It's still a work in progress although it's about 80% done.

Here's some pics after I did the front indicator assembly, currently working on the rear bumpers now...below is a link to the build thread...been working on it since early 2014 lol! Hope this is allowed!

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76901

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey guys, another small update...

Got the rear bumpers done...had to make a slot to fit around the tailgate hinges outs slightly different than the 1:1 bumper...

Also started to rebuild the upper tailgate, you can see how much the original one warped in the last pics...I think it's because I used too much bondene on it :lolbeat:... The tricky part is figuring out how to make the window area as its angled a bit and recessed into the tailgate...will probably try to build that area separate from the tailgate then attach it, so as to limit the amount of the bondene on the tailgate. Hopefully it will work out...
I think I will also re-do the hinges, using tubes similar to the set up on the bucket seats...

Anywho...some pics...

#3 ·
This is so cool, awesome. Will be having a read through the build thread you linked. ( Not now as its midnight and I need to go to bed) Looking forward to more pics. The answer to this is probably in the other build thread, but how have you formed the panels?

A friend had the station wagon overlander. was an awesome car.

#4 ·
Hey thanks for kind words mouse! Would you believe I initially wanted to do the station wagon? Lol...yep but went with the panel Van as I thought the roof would have been easier, shows what a doofus I am...lol! Anywho, you are correct all the answers are in the linked thread...lol! But as a teaser, here's how it all started...all the detail you see now wasn't planned...basically just experiments that I kept pushing the envelope on...!

#5 ·
Made a lil progress with the upper tailgate...:D

Made it hollow with supporting ribs instead of solid like the first one, where I just slapped the layers together. This new way I used a lot less bondene, so hopefully it will maintain the shape!
Still need to 'close up' the inner and outer piece where the window goes and then make the window. Will have another go at some hinges and try to get the struts built as well...

Anywho... Coupla pics..:banana: fits nice and flush ....

#10 ·
Another small update

Worked on the front slope above the windshield. Getting there I think...:eek:
Still need to properly round off the corners, but need to let the new piece cure properly then re-enforce the inside of the corners before filing them down...
Once that is done, I'll have to properly line up the front of the green piece, the make the adjustments to the rear of the panels and the tailgate...

Some pics ...before and after...lol...watcha think?

#19 ·
Hey guys....another small update..!

Got the front area above the windshield rounded off...still need to tidy up the lip area where the top of the windshield goes...also managed to add in the strip at the rear of the side panel so it's not sloping forward as much as it was before...
Did a bit of cleaning up on the right side, puttied some parts, still need to work on it some more...

#20 ·
So...anywho.....before I could complete the tailgate area, I needed to get the upper tailgate hinged up and install the struts..

After lotsa head scratching, this is what I came up with....:p

Edit - gonna try to mod the hinge pin so that I can remove the tailgate (after the roof has been sealed in) in case the hinge gets damaged and I need to repair it...

The strut still needs some tweaking, as this is as high as it will hold the tailgate up......

It has the proper travel length, just need to make some adjustments so it holds it up at this level...:facepalm:

I tried to get the hinges and struts as close as I could get it to the 1:1.... Maybe 60% there...lol...but I think I can live with it...:p

#26 ·
Another small :update:

Getting closer...:woohoo:

May need to adjust the left side hinge, looks like it's raising the tailgate a coupla mms higher than the right side....gonna try to get the lower tailgate chain and locking magnets in tonight...then I'm back on the roof...
Anywho, some pics...forgot to take a pic of the adjustment I did to the hinge pin..:blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.