Australian RC Forums banner

Savage600'sMCD RRV4 gets a rebuild.

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  savage600 
#1 · (Edited)
O.K. after having this for a while and a few races and a lot more stacks under it's belt, it is time for a rebuild.

Following are a number of pics of the rebuild. I have not quite finished it yet, but will update the pics as I do.

Enjoy the following.

Cheers Dave.

See less See more
#4 ·
savage600's MCDRRV4 gets a rebuild.

I now feel like a complete MCD Driver with a new MCD Cap WOOHOO. and the cap is being proudly Modeled by a shiny MCD.

That is it for the pics now, but more to follow soon.

The car has had the OBR Full MOD rebuilt and tickled up a little more and most other bits are existing.

I had purchased a third car as an almost roller that had all the alloy bits as you see here including the MCD lightened chasis and including in this roller were a heap of spares , so I threw in LSD diffs to the front and rear.

I am choosing at this stage to run the plastic arms, as they are newer and less play. The kids have an MCD aswell with all the Alloy bits and the alloy arms on theirs.

Cheers Dave.

#6 · (Edited)
Hey mate, it took a while and no doubt, will take bugger all to get dirty LOL.

I used a bench grinder and the Josco range of wheels and polishes, at first a cutting one and then a polishing one with a touch up on a dremel drill with some autosol.

Just finished putting it all back together lastnight and have some pics to post on my phone.

Cheers Dave.

#7 · (Edited)
Here are some pics of the completed car and at the heart of it is an obr 29.5 cc donk rebuilt and given a tickle up by Micks Mods(Pagey04) of off LSD.

Enjoy the pics.

Cheers Dave.

#8 ·
Some dumb questions

Could you measure the front bumper mounting holes and do you think you could mount those shocks on the Firestorm 10T?

Also has anyone ever swapped HPI parts onto other trucks, like the Losi trucks? I like the engine and powertrain on the HPI, but I want a stronger suspension and taller stance.

#9 ·
Looks the goods savage. I reckon 5 mins in the wet to get it dirty again.rebuild a pain in the ass but could cost you spot on the podium if not done regularly. Even if it is just a tear down, clean and back together worth it in the end

#10 ·
Normally the car gets a pull down between meets anyway, but this was a full on rebuild, as you can see from the pics.

I have the car packed away at night with a blanket over it to keep it warm.LOL.

Cheers Dave.

Cheers Dave.

#12 ·
Thanks for that dude, it is a beast and the motor is awesome.

Yeah mate, I am racing it at SALS and I love racing, not only being up on the drivers stand, but the social aspect of it also.

I initially started running it with a spektrum TX and Rx, but for some unknown reason I was having a lot of trouble with the car (mainly tx wise), but bare in mind also I was only new to the 1/5th scene.

I sold my Baja shorty late lastyear and changed over to futaba 4pk and I haven't looked back and have not blown a servo since either. I t got to teh point where I couldn't walk more than 5-10 meters from the car before th kill switch would kick in.

Although I am racing I don't get to every meet, but when I do I absolutely love it. I found though that racing is heaps different than bashing.

I have mainly been over on LSD, but would love to see this place thrive a bit more. I will try and make more of a presence here also.

SALS hosted the 1/5th off road Nationals late last year and it was an awesome experience, so much knowledge to gain and even now there is so much still to learn.

If the Staff around here need someone else to help out, just sing out please.

Cheers Dave.

#13 ·
Glad to hear it, mate. It's a good time of year for it now so I hope you get some racing in before winter sets in. You guys could probably get away with running in worse weather than us at ARCR though.

I have to agree that the social aspect is a large part of the enjoyment for me too. I couldn't have asked for a more generous bunch of blokes to spend a day with and they're always good for a laugh. This weekend we're having a 4x4 SCT with Caravan race!...haha. I'll be sure to record that one ;)

#15 ·
I haven't gone too big off it with the MCD, but have got huge air with the little cars.

I got a second MCD a little while ago of off gumtree here in Adelaide and the kids use it. The awesome part is my middle daughter loves the cars and gets up there on the drivers stand and drives theirs around. It brings a smile to my dial watching them have fun also.

Cheers Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.