Air filter oil

Thread: Air filter oil

R/C Novice

Air filter oil

Hello

I just came across this on eBay and wondered if anyone had used it before as it looks a pretty good deal to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=151583231086

Thanks in advance
    BB

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C Guru
    Never heard of it before, most likely its just some cheap crap that doesn't work that well. Air filter oil for motorbikes works well from what I've read but myself I just use engine oil for 1:1 cars, like 20w/50 or 20w/60, a small 1lt bottle is cheap & last for ages & it works very well, I've never had dust/dirt on my inner filter even when outer filter is pretty dirty.
    Nitro all the way.
    JQ Racing "THE Car" White Edition 1/8 nitro pro racing buggy.
    Sanwa, Savox, Raceform, NAA-Godzilla engine, SWEEP Racing Tyres.

R/C Novice
    Oh that sounds a little harsh. I can understand that you may do something different though and all for saving money with this expensive hobby

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

I use Shell Air Filter Oil for motor bikes...If you have an expensive engine you would use proper air filter oil (or manufacturer recommended Air Filter Oil) I would NOT use no name stuff on my expensive motors....
    Last edited by Sonic; 14-02-2015 at 07:08 PM.
    Savage 3 speed Infinity 32R-Z- Savage Flux XL - Savage Flux - Savage XS - E-Revo BL- Traxxas Summit BL - TT ST1 BL - TT MT4 G3 - Kyosho Mad force LE - Wild Willy 2 - Tamiya CR01 - Smash Shark BL.

R/C Apprentice
    I use bel ray for my ktm, I agree that a bit more cost for filter oil is cheap insurance for expensive gear.

Seeing you would only use a few ml's at a time for rc, a litre bottle would last quite some time.
    I never Stand Corrected........................ I always sit down for bad news };~))

R/C Novice
    Thank you for the replies

I contacted the seller and they said it was a Klotz oil

R/C Novice
    I found they have a Facebook page for anyone interested.

MissMooRC

R/C Novice
    I ended up getting some of this MissMooRC oil and it has quite a unique smell too it and the guy was very helpful and best it cost nothing for freight. I am yet to use it on my truck but may do if the weather clears up on the weekend.

R/C Guru
    $6 might be cheap but its only 30ml, compared to 1lt of car engine oil, say 20w/50, (I use Castrol GTX which works perfectly) or even car/bike filter oil, it ends up working out more expensive, $10-15 for 1lt engine oil compared to 30+ little 30ml bottles (900ml) which would cost alot more.
    Here's a pic from my 1/8 nitro buggy, was pretty dusty, this is after 3 tanks of fuel, inner filter is clean & all I would need to do is replace outer filter. Rc air filter oil is over rated & over priced.
    Nitro all the way.

R/C Guru
    Was just checking the Klotz website, the only filter oil I can find is for real 1:1 cars & motorbikes, if the Missmoo stuff is Klotz then its just car/bike filter oil, & at the price they charge for 30ml, 1lt would cost up near $200.
    Just because an ebay seller tells you they have a certain oil doesn't actually mean it is.
    Sorry, just trying to save people money over the long term. If you want proper filter oil then get some Motul oil for dirt bike filters.
    Nitro all the way.

R/C Novice
    Oziii:

Thank you for sharing your experience. Not everyone will agree with the methods people use all the time. I will try things for myself and see what works for me and like you will share my findings. Like not everyone will agree you need to spend over $20 a litre for nitro fuel, but you see the value in doing that.

R/C Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
    Was just checking the Klotz website, the only filter oil I can find is for real 1:1 cars & motorbikes, if the Missmoo stuff is Klotz then its just car/bike filter oil, & at the price they charge for 30ml, 1lt would cost up near $200.
    Just because an ebay seller tells you they have a certain oil doesn't actually mean it is.
    Sorry, just trying to save people money over the long term. If you want proper filter oil then get some Motul oil for dirt bike filters.
    Oziii: The other thing is $6 also includes cost of freight Australia wide not just the product.

R/C Guru
    Yeah I understand that but it still comes out of your pocket & adds up over time. Most people already have some engine oil either in their real cars boot or in the back shed & its sold virtually everywhere so easier to get as well.
    RC filters don't need a specific RC filter oil, its a gimmick really, new engine oil & bike filter oil works just as well, if not better, & engine oil is much cheaper, my bottle cost me $5 from Aldo supermarket well over a year ago, as long as its not to thin it will be fine.
    Nitro all the way.

$6 might be cheap but its only 30ml, compared to 1lt of car engine oil, say 20w/50, (I use Castrol GTX which works perfectly) or even car/bike filter oil, it ends up working out more expensive, $10-15 for 1lt engine oil compared to 30+ little 30ml bottles (900ml) which would cost alot more.
    Here's a pic from my 1/8 nitro buggy, was pretty dusty, this is after 3 tanks of fuel, inner filter is clean & all I would need to do is replace outer filter. Rc air filter oil is over rated & over priced.
    Hi Ozziii, Have you oiled the inner, outer or both? Thanks
    HB D817T Alpha Dragon II. Highest, Savox. Futaba 3PL
    HB D8T, Alpha 23 A352, Savox SC-1256 TG, Hitec HS-645 Futaba 2PL
    Ansmann Terrier Truggy, STS 28, Hitec HS-645MG

R/C Apprentice
    Just to add to the confusion, it's better to get the dirt bike stuff as mentioned if that's an option anyone may choose. The road bike stuff in a pressure pack is said to be not as efficient at trapping the dirt, and doesn't work it's way all through the filter.

Some of the dirt bike guys use a pool filter skin at an added layer over the top of the foam, no adverse effect on performance. Kind of results like ozziii posted the pick of.

Guess for those of us with dirt bikes and rc won't need to buy an extra product to care for the rc.
    I never Stand Corrected........................ I always sit down for bad news };~))

R/C Guru
    Yeah both oiled Mouse, I always oil both no matter where I run it, I give them a soaking in a plastic sealable sandwich bag, squash oil through both filters the squeeze excess out, after then use a rag to make sure they aren't to oily, just slightly oily to the touch.
    I've done this for years & its always worked well, even in very dusty condition, but like any filter & oil, the dustier the condition the more the filter should be changed. I put 3 tanks through & even though filter looks dirty, performance was still the same as with a clean filter.
    Nitro all the way.

Yeah both oiled Mouse, I always oil both no matter where I run it, I give them a soaking in a plastic sealable sandwich bag, squash oil through both filters the squeeze excess out, after then use a rag to make sure they aren't to oily, just slightly oily to the touch.
    I've done this for years & its always worked well, even in very dusty condition, but like any filter & oil, the dustier the condition the more the filter should be changed. I put 3 tanks through & even though filter looks dirty, performance was still the same as with a clean filter.
    Thanks ozziii. I was told be several people to oil only the inner, but though maybe I should be doing the outer also.
    Thanks.
    HB D817T Alpha Dragon II. Highest, Savox. Futaba 3PL
    HB D8T, Alpha 23 A352, Savox SC-1256 TG, Hitec HS-645 Futaba 2PL
    Ansmann Terrier Truggy, STS 28, Hitec HS-645MG

R/C Guru
    Some people do only oil the inner filter but I'm not sure why, may as well just have one filter if you're going to do that.
    They only need to be damp with oil on both filters & it stops dirt/dust etc better than only one oiled filter, 2 oiled layers is better than one. If there is a performance increase from using oil on one filter only then I think it would be very small & hardly noticeable.
    I'd rather have a little better protection myself, specially on dirt.
    Nitro all the way.