new sts28 design?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  twizm 
#1 ·
i just got my two new sts28's from taiwan directly. i've spotted some
differences between these new ones and the old one that i got fromt
twizm:

1) heatsink - completely black, even at the part of the fins where they
trim back, and also the top now has some graphics on it. the graphics
looks ok, accept for the one that says D28M in a **** font.

2) carb - fuel hose connection now points toward the front.

3) pull start - a 1cm section of metal is on the end of the pull start handle.

4) both engines came with spare pull start backplate.

anyone who bought sts 28's recently noticed these changes as well? i want to determine if mine are new stock or not.

Edited by: Boutzb

See less See more
#3 ·
i don't consider two month as old stock. i was more interested to find out if these "new" ones have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a few years or not.

to put it in a different way, i'm trying to figure out the chronological order of the sts28s that i've seen, such as the one hirisk is selling, and the old one that i got, and the new ones that i received.

#4 ·
Ok, Ours are newer and those are older.. Yes.. But they arnt NEW stock just the current gen .. theres been like 3 series

P.S seal the whole engine, its prone to leaks at least mine did, I thought it was from the word go, But decided they wouldnt do that.. Guess not!Edited by: DECIM8

#5 ·
the STS design history from start to current

Grey(natural) crankcase, 100% black unstamped head with 'sharp' edge fins

All black crankcase, 100% black unstamped head with 'sharp' edge fins

Grey (natural) crankcase with machine finished snout, matte black head with 'blunt' edges and stamped STS DM28

EDIT: forgot to add that the position of the HSN intake can be changed. loosen the sleeve of the HSN and you can spin it around to the position you like.Edited by: twizm

#11 ·
twizm said:
the STS design history from start to current

Grey(natural) crankcase, 100% black unstamped head with 'sharp' edge fins

All black crankcase, 100% black unstamped head with 'sharp' edge fins

Grey (natural) crankcase with machine finished snout, matte black head with 'blunt' edges and stamped STS DM28

EDIT: forgot to add that the position of the HSN intake can be changed. loosen the sleeve of the HSN and you can spin it around to the position you like.

ok thanks twizm.

so your old one would be the second type [all black, unstamped head], and the ones i got are the latest [grey and black, stamped head]?

are there any internal or performance differences between them?

yeah, i figured that the hsn could be spun around after some looking around.
Edited by: Boutzb

#12 ·
cappa__22 said:
yer sorry, the actual block and head, and if you know how much horsepower can it produce?

I'm not sure of the exact hp on paper but figures can mean very little. for example i have an sh p6 prospec that is rated at 3.8hp. the nova ross 528xr series is rated at 2.87hp but would absolutely flog the sh in all areas. if you're looking for a good power upgrade for your savage the sts28 would go heaps harder than the 21bb motor, it will make a massive difference.
Edited by: Enerjex

#13 ·
Boutzb said:
ok thanks twizm.

so your old one would be the second type [all black, unstamped
head], and the ones i got are the latest [grey and black, stamped head]?

are there any internal or performance differences between them?

Correct. mine was 2nd release.

as far as i know theyre all internally identical, although SHs engine
history is leading me to believe that different colors/heatsinks means
its a new revision, however i have the latest design and it looks
exactly the same to my old one on the inside, so who knows.

Maybe STS knows

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.