Australian RC Forums banner

Truggy gearbox, what lube to use?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ozziii 
#1 ·
So I have just rebuild the front box on my HPI Trophy Truggy and used Medial Pro 5000 silicon oil for the internals but was wondering if it is suitable to use the same oil for the spiral input gear and spiral diff gear? Would a thicker grease be more suitable being that it is only housed in the outer casing and not inside the gearbox itself?

Any input would be good guys cheers.

#2 ·
Not familiar with your truggy but I would say put grease on the crown wheel and pinon (Spiral gears) if you put oil in there in will probably leak out as I'm guessing that area is not sealed on you diff as the same on mine. That is how the diffs on my truggy are set up, with oil inside and grease on crown wheel & pinion. I think I used high temp wheel bearing grease?
Wait for some others to chime in on their set up.

#3 ·
You probably don't need grease on it at all, & even high temp grease will fling off & stick to diff housing.
Use your 5k silicon oil inside the diff (a little thicker may be better, like 7k) & leave the pinion & crown dry, I'm pretty sure most buggies & truggies don't use grease there.
If you wanted then you could try lithium grease or lithium powder, I think they stick a bit better, not really needed though.
Does it say to use anything in the manual for the car.

#4 · (Edited)
Just had a look in the manual for our car, D8T and it shows to put grease on the crown wheel & pinion. Of course it doesn't say what grease or how much????

Is this your Trophy truggy in the link? if so Page 28 shows a symbol to put something on the crown wheel & pinion but not sure weather it is oil or grease.
https://www.hpiracing.com/assets/do...anuals/101874_trophy_truggy_flux_glb_m_v1.pdf
Hope this helps.

#5 ·
It really doesn't explain much at all in the manual. I have just rebuilt the front gearbox and what a pain but I couldn't wait for anyone to reply so I just gave those gears a good coating of the silicon oil i used for the Gearbox. I think anything you put on there will fling off due to the size of the housing. Man this thing has a lot of problems. Everytime I get out to a good spot for some thrashing and bashing armed with three charged lipos its always cut very short by some kind of mechanical failure. So far stripped front gearbox, busted stabilizer, bent/burned axel, grub screws popping out both pinion gear and front input shaft and wheel falling off ergh. hopefully it gets a little more reliable now that I replaced half the components. I need another car/truck for those times when ones broken I can rotate.

#6 ·
Silicone oil on your crown gear will not cut it, as mouse said originally you need to grease the pinion & crown gear, preferably with a high temp grease.

#7 ·
Yeah the oil will just fling off, maybe it might leave a very thin coat for a little bit but I don't think it would last to long, same with High temp grease, I tried it back in 06-07 on my Hyper PCR 1/8 nitro buggy, brothers as well, within a short time the grease is all around the housing so it just means more cleaning. I was told by a knowledgeable racer that lithium grease would stick better but would still fling off after a short time, lithium powder may work a little as well but the speed the crown & pinion spin will fling virtually anything off them.
I don't know anything about the truggy you have but I did read a while back about the HPI Trophy buggy having alot of problems like you have had as well as other breakages, I did't read a great deal after that but from what other users said, they didn't sound like they were a very strong buggy & couldn't take much abuse, that was enough for me.
Honestly, if I were you I would cut my losses & get something made to take some abuse, there's some good quality brands out there & although they may cost a little more, they end up costing less because you don't need to repair as much, RTR buggies & truggies are alright if made properly but kits are the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.