Australian RC Forums banner

Help with brushless motors and escs

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  GTOJOE 
#1 ·
So i am converting my son's brushed buggy to brushless and my nitro monster truck to brushless. Both are 1/10 scale HSP units. I'm a little confused about matching motors with escs. I bought a thunder toger 3900k motor then a cheap knock off of a hobbywing 65amp esc. Will this combination work ok? I noticed when buying my other brushless buggy the pto model had a 3300k motor and a nimh battery but the pro-top model which i bought had a 2720k motor and a 2S lipo battery. I bought a used pro model buggy to use for parts also and it has the 3300k motor and what looks like the 75amp esc. I'm confused about what motor to use with which esc. My sons car will only be using nimh batteries. My current buggy uses the lipo and I'll use lipo and nimh in the truck.

Cheers,

Joe

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

#3 ·
it will all be fine, i'd use lipos over nimh

with some radios you can tone down the power

im not familiar with hsp cars, but 1/10 isnt as picky as 1/8 being more heavy

#4 ·
It's confusing cus i read things like pairing motors snd voltages to get your ideal speed etc. Then some escs can't handle motor of certain turns etc. But then discounting limitations of escs wouldn't you just adjust the speed by using a different sized gear. I assume the 3900k motor will be faster than the 3300 but less powerful. So i just use a smaller gear which will slow it down.
Is there any benifit of using the thunder tiger 3900K motor in place of my current 2720K motor in my buggy?
I'm using nimh batteries cus i have 5 of them already and can't afford to replace them all with lipo. Eventually i will.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

#5 ·
lower kV usually has more torque for same size/design, so you can pump in more volts to regain RPM. Higher kV gives more revs per volt.

if you overgear that will stress the motor and it will overheat

if you undergear the ESC might get hotter, might trip temp cutoff

NiMH have lower volts during they cycle so if you've got lipo cutoff in ESC it will trigger prematurely. (A 2S lipo operates like a 7cell NiMH & less weight too) Can turn it off when using NiMH, don't forget to turn it back on when using Lipo next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.