Australian RC Forums banner

Which compressor for airbrush +

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Vital-Blurs 
#1 ·
Hey all

Im looking at buying a new air compressor for when my iwata airbrush arrives

ive looked through most posts relating to this and to say im confused is an understatement.

Im not going to go crazy with buying something worth hundreds of dollars but need some advice ... ive narrowed it down to 2
I'll also point out that im aiming to be able to use a nail gun with the compressor too

first choice is this one:

http://airtoolswa.com.au/products/akko-oil-less-1hp-air-compressor-with-150-psi-performance/

currently priced at $199.

second choice is this one

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...-5HP-50L-Tank.aspx?pid=296172#Recommendations

the second one is currently on a deal with air hose and priced at $299

Im thinking the first one will be more accurate with oil filled gauge etc but the second one will have more capacity and be quieter as its belt driven.

Ive never bought a compressor before so any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
What are the requrirments of the nail gun?

The sca one has a 50L tank verses 9L of the cheaper one. continuous free air delivery is about 20L/ min higher too for the sca unit.

Personally the belt drive unit would be my pick, has a higher duty cycle, and would be easier to replace parts on the compressor or motor, whereas the direct drive are considered through away if either the pump or motor dies, usually the electrices die before the pump.

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply brainless-esc

to be quite honest im not sure what the requirements of the nail gun are ... I was given it for free and all the labels are just about gone ... the only one i can see left on it are an old suntech label and nothing else ... cant seem to find much about it on the net either.

I read that with the SCA compressor you should replace the gauges as they are not reliable ... where would i get a good set of gauges from ? ... i understand I also need a watertrap ... IVe already ordered an inline watertrap but would it be best to get one that fits to the compressor too ?

at 299.00 the SCA is a good deal too so i have no problem paying that

Hey ozzii ...sorry had to edit as your post showed up just as i posted this lol

I was aiming for the belt drive as its quiet ...dont need the neighbours complaining about noise ... but the one you posted isnt bad either ... looks like i'll forget about the cheaper one
like i said ... just need info on gauges and water trap ... dont want to ruin my airbrush if the gauges are inaccurate

#5 ·
Does the airbrush come with a pressure regulator?

I'd not really bother to replace the gauges on the compressor. A good quality pressure regulator will be enough.

They have a water separator built in, so if you have an additional one you will be more than covered.

If you live in a humid climate I would drain the tank regularly, depending on how often you use it. If it runs for a few hrs a week I'd drain it every month or so. If only a few hrs a month, every six months or so would do.

#6 ·
The airbrush is an Iwata HP-CS double action gravity feed ... as far as i know it doesnt come with a pressure regulator ...the pressure needs to be adjusted at the compressor end.
Im totally new to airbrushing but have read heaps of posts ...but so many differing opinions make it hard to get a straight answer at times.
I live in perth so the humidity isnt that bad here.

#7 · (Edited)
I just looked at the sca one again, I see what you mean about some suggesting the need to replace the gauge, more the pressure reg than the gauges.

If this link works, you really only need to add one of these to the compressor, not replace the one on the compressor.

http://www.trendmarking.com.au/files/images/dotmarking/dotmark_regulator-assy.gif

You can get one at any store that stocks compressors or most good paint shops that sell spray paint.

I'd spend around the $80-100 mark for the reg, one from a paint shop will usually have a larger water separator on them.

Hope that helps.

Ps. The one in the link shows a Pressure valve ( set to 15 psi/ 100kpa) the most common ones you will get don't have this set up, I can take a pic of mine if it would help show what I'm trying to describe.

#8 · (Edited)
Many thanks brainless ...a pic would be awesome if its not too much trouble ... then i know what im looking for by sight.
I want to get this sorted before SCA stop the special on the compressor ... its a good price for a belt drive compressor and should cover what i need ...I'd like the stanley belt drive but 750 bucks is out of my range and i havent seen any on offer for 399. like they some times have.

*EDIT*

Found these ...am I along the right track ?

Single

http://airtoolswa.com.au/products/14-compressed-air-filter-regulator/

Double

http://airtoolswa.com.au/products/14-compressed-air-filter-regulator-lubricator/

#10 · (Edited)
Excellent ... i finally know what i need now ... one more silly question ... when i get the regulator do i just connect it to where the hose should go ... im assuming i'll need a 1/4 connector to fit it ... then leave the regulator on the SCA one fully open so I can use the bought regulator to control everything from there ?

hope that made sense lol

*EDIT*

back to the drawing board ... SCA special has now finished ... i'll wait for their next special or keep looking for a belt drive compressor at the right price

#11 ·
Yes, you can either use a short hose to connect he new reg to the outlet on the compressor. Or if space allows you could connect it directly to the outlet on the compressor.

But most use a short length of hose with fittings to plug to he outlet on the compressor. That way if you want to use say a blower gun or another tool that doesn't need the pressure regulator you simply disconnect the reg. and plug straight into the outlet on the compressor.

Bummer on the special..... Maybe see what boxing day specials brings.

#13 ·
Hahaha no worries. For once I could help someone else out, instead of being the noob ;p

Legend is a bit over the top. lol

But thanks, you're more than welcome.

I reckon the only stupid question is, why didn't I ask earlier? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.