Australian RC Forums banner

How do I know if my steering Servo is burned out?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rcnutbag 
#1 ·
Hi,

Sorry for such a simple question, but I'm completely new to this.

Anyway, my son's RC car no longer steers properly and I'm wondering if this is because the steering servo has burned out (even though it apparently has a 'servo saver' capability) or just the result of one of his crashes.

I'll try and describe what it's doing; The car no longer steers while driving, and even when I pick it up off the ground (to reduce friction in the tyres and steering), the wheels only move slightly. I can hear the servo trying to shift the tyres, but they hardly move at all. On the odd occasion they manage to move all the way one side or another, but it's sparodic; and mostly they just twitch.

Can someone tell me how I'd know if the servos is burned out?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Regards
Mick

#2 ·
Yes mate I think its screwed, If you just need a cheap one to get him going again hobby king have heaps of them

#6 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. Now I suppose I'll have to work out what type I'll need to get. Any hints for how to find out?

Regards
Mick
Gday Mick, if you just want a cheap one go to hobby king select the Aus warehouse go to servos & parts the select std servo im only assuming we are talking about a 1/10 scale car, they have quite a range there and cheap to even metal gear servos there not the best but they will get you out of trouble.
hope this helps
Scott

#4 ·
Sounds like the servo.
Also disconnect the steering at the servo and move the steering by hand just to make sure the steering linkages between the servo and the wheels are not binding up.
Is it electric or nitro? if its nitro you could swap the servo plugs over at the receiver and test the servo that way.

#5 ·
Sounds like the gearing inside has stripped somewhere, depending on the car, you should be able to find a better, stronger servo, just need to make sure the dimensions are similar.
As for the servo saver, it depends how much tension is on the spring, if its wound down to tight then it will have very little give & act like there isn't a servo saver on there. Hard to say without any pics though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.