Australian RC Forums banner

1st attempt at shell paint

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  benism_81 
#1 ·
Water Rectangle Liquid Paint Fluid
Hood Musical instrument Car Fender Automotive design
Automotive design Automotive lighting Art Gas Gadget
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive tire

This is my first attempt at painting a shell.
Still have to punch holes and add decals.
Any pointers?

See less See more
#2 ·
Stealth Mounts....they require no holes and leave the body looking nice and clean

If you are going to drill and pin....get your centre point of the body and mark with a removable marker, then find your wheel base centres to keep your wheels within the lines of the guards

Once you have those lines, measure the body post width at the base of the posts....body posts generally bend slightly and can be out of line at the top....

place a wet dot of liquid paper on the top of the body posts and press the body down onto the wet liquid paper, this will leave a spot at the point each post is sitting..

Before cutting holes, use the measurement of the post width to check that the posts are lining up at the correct width and adjust if needed...

If it all lines up, use a body post reamer to cut your holes neatly and easily

Seems like a lot of work, but usually only takes 5 to 10 minutes and your body will be perfectly in line

One other tip....to make sure all the holes are the same size...after cutting your first hole....slip the tool back into the hole and mark a line with a sharpie where the tool meets the body....then just cut each other hole to the same mark on the reamer
To remove the mark on the reamer, just use a little alcohol or strong window cleaner and a rag

I know there are many other methods, and I am sure others will be offer some other tips

#3 ·
i got magnetic stealth posts for my drift car, but i was worried how they would hold up on rc cars, i assume they would be bumped and moved pretty easily, especially the way i drive

#5 ·
I use stealth mounts on a Blitz, but instead of magnets, I use velcro...it holds very well

I also use it on a 1/8 buggy converted to on road, rather than smash the rear of the body when slamming into things (which I tend to do a lot) I use velcro to mount the rear, on impact the body pops but remains with the buggy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.