Australian RC Forums banner

Stiffer springs for 1:18 MRC used in heavier 1:10 conversion

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cragv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, per the thread title I'm converting my 1:18 MRC into a 1:10 scaler. While I do have 1:10 shocks and springs lying around from a larger model, I'd really like to keep the more scale size of the MRC shock bodies.

I'm already running an after market set with stiffer springs than the 'firm' set you can buy from Losi (though I bought those anyway just in case they were better) but after test driving, the springs just aren't cutting it.

I need probably some coils with a larger wire diameter with the same overall dimensions. Are there any products on the market that might work for me here, or any fabricating tricks you can recommend I can try?

I'd like to avoid using the larger Axial set I have here on account of keeping more scale looks, but I may have to change to them if I can't find a solution here - the truck is undriveable in its current form. It weighs 2.5kg on account of its steel chassis and beefy winch & cable. Pics of front and rear below for reference. Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Have to agree with Ratsack...that truck looks damn nice...well done

Have you considered trying internal spring shocks, they are usually thinner in the overall diameter and can be weighted by using heavier weight oils

Another possible choice are the Proline series shocks, they are not beefie like the standard 1/10 scale shocks, but seem to be what a lot of guys are choosing

#4 ·
Hm thanks for the ideas, I'll look into those.

Thanks to suggestions from rccrawler I'm considering adding stiff 'clicky pen' springs around the shock shafts as secondary springs. It has since occurred to me to look at other weight bearing suspension options from the full size world such as air bags. I was thinking of cutting and glueing some foam squares into cylinders and wrapping them around the shock shafts too - they'd still allow near-full compression but would give the encircling coils some support too. Maybe even combining pen springs with foam inserts inside the main shock springs... I'll look into the proline option too, thanks for the tip.

Plenty more to do yet. Build thread coming soon. Cheers guys.

#6 ·
Testing went well last weekend :)

That said, I'd still like stiffer springs. When I made this thread I was about 10% of the way to where they should be for the trucks weight. Now I'd say it's about 70%. Quite drivable but not as sure footed as I'd like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.