Australian RC Forums banner

Hw sc8 fry up

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Johny wutang 
#1 ·
My exo decided it was going smoke up yesterday just got the battery out before fire thank god. Desoldered 5mm bullets and esc smoking and melting. Normal running conditions cool day no jumps just racing a mate. I know for sure no wires touched or got nicked I'm anal about that. I run a red back 5000mah 3s and had only run for bout 5 mins. Always balance charge pack only few months old. Anyone got a reason for massive failure? I've had mates that have packs give way in their cars but never effected esc. Did what I've done many times before only this time melt down

#3 ·
I've got as many reduce'back packs as i do turnigy and find they preform as well as each other. I've put my packs through hell for almost 2 years and only had 1 cell pop.

There are a few things that could have caused your esc to smoke.

What are the bearings like in the motor/driveline?

Has the car had many hard landings from jumps? The shock can loosen connections in the esc which allows it to short

Has the esc ever got to warm? Same reason as above.

Its hard to say sometimes what causes issues with electronics, could have even been a slightly sub standard component that had a limited life span

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Cheers for the input pro. bearings are good but car has had a hell of a lot of hard landings. Maybe esc was a time bomb although it ran flawlessly for one and a half years. Oh well at least it didn't cook the motor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.