Australian RC Forums banner

Why is the paint not drying?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  truckzilla355 
#1 ·
I have a Hilux hard body for a TF2. I painted it about 4 days ago, and the paint is fairly dry but is slightly soft and comes off with the primer if I scratch it with my fingernail.

I did a practice first on a piece I am not using, and that turned out fine. It is very hard to scratch off, and even if I use something sharp to get the paint off, the primer still stays on.

I sprayed it with clear plastic primer, red metal primer, and then normal car spray paint. I am quite sure I painted the practice piece the same so I don't know why it has turned out different.

I have also painted the interior brown over a week ago and that is still sticky and I can leave a finger print.

Do just need to wait a week or so for it to dry? Or did I do something wrong?

Thanks

#3 ·
if the paint is enamel, if put on too thick it will skin preventing the paint underneath to dry. unfortunately if this is the case there is no way to dry out the paint thoroughly. it maybe a case of stripping and re-painting.
paint needs to be put on in a very thin layer and aloud to fully dry before the next layer applied. transparent paints can be a pita as by the time they show a decent change in colour its too late.

#4 ·
I have had a little luck using a heat gun on medium temps to dry out heavy enamel paint....it was a slow gentle operation involving a load of swearing, a ton of boredom, and several brown bottles filled with amber fluid....thinking back, it would have been quicker to strip and repaint

When using enamel these days, I add a hardening agent called "Enamel Aid" to make the paint harden and dry out so much faster....it is similar to the hardener added to 2Pac paints, and has a similar effect, makes the paint "Set" in a much faster time frame.....one handy hint I might suggest....clean your spray gun as soon as you have finished painting....the stuff has a habit of clogging spray jets if they aren't soaked and cleaned....

#6 ·
Outta my curiosity, whats it mean when a shell I painted ages ago has gone rough and when I rub it with my finger, part of it rubs of

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
the roughness maybe the paint may of oxidised. some overspray, or other chemical might of got on it eating in to paint.
the rubbing off of the paint maybe due to the part not being washed/preped before paint. they have a thin film of mold remover still on when you get it which needs to be washed off in warm water with a little detergent, rinsed clean then dried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.