Australian RC Forums banner

Mini E Revo

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jakethesnake 
#1 ·
Been home for few days now and have been racing around my backyard, pretty much learning how to drive this thing. Lot's of fun, lot's of crash's and lot's of learning.

As I mentioned in one of my last posts I bought two 3S 1600mAh Lipo batteries (I wanted 2S so I could parrallel them for longer run times - more on that later). 3S really up's the ante, speed wise, which is good (once I learn how to miss big things). I tried parralleling two 3S, expecting longer run time. They lasted about the same as one - about 15 to 17 minutes. I understand the way I drive and the percentage of high throttle position will affect the run time. I drove it the same way using both setups but still had about the same run time. Is there a trick to this?

I have noticed when I charge the batteries that they usually reach about 800 - 900 mAh on the charger before it says they are full. Charging current 1.7A. One battery reached 1500 odd once. I always balance charge. Again, is there some trick to this?

I bought some bearings for the rocker arms today and am trying to figure out how to get the plastic bush's out. Anyone got any ideas? Also, I was told to get 4x7x2.5 bearings but they seem a little small (thickness) compared to what I can see of the bush's.

Finally, a bit of a rant. I noticed quite a few people have had disappointing results in their dealings with hobby stores. I have come to the conclusion I am not going to go back to the local store. I am going to source my own parts and knowledge. Three times I have gone to the store wanting parts and/or information and have come away with very little of both. Basic parts for a car that they sold to me would have been an expectation. Sadly, this is not the case.

Spoons

See less See more
#2 ·
4x7x2.5 are the correct size bearing for the rockers, to remove the old bushings use a hex driver and put it through the centre of the bush and pick up the edge of the bush on the opposite side and push it out. It should pop out but if not repeat on the same bush but on the opposite side.

Your batts may not be fully discharging, I find that when I run 3s on my merv the esc will thermal before the pack is flat, I let it cool down then run the pack some more.

#3 ·
Thanks for that, Gumbyj,

I figured out the bush's this morning, then realised I need 8 not 4 bearings. Ahh well, next time. I will try that with the batteries and see what happens. ESC is usually about 70C when it stops and the red LED flash's.

Spoons

#4 ·
#s batteries are a bad idea... I sued 3s with mine when i got and it destroyed a rear diff.
(With stock gearing)Still even with gearing it down the stock esc gets to hot cause its not powerful enough.
Did you get traxxas batteries? if so be very carefull, a 3s traxxas battery killed one of my e-revo esc when it violently died for no apparent reason, and i don't dare use the other even if it was just a one in a thousand dud.

You can get 40 minutes run time with two 2s in parallel, its well worth it.

Also hobby stores are a bit useless, they suggested i use 45 wight oil max in the suspension... anything less than 60 weight is useless with the stiffest e-revo springs there is.

Also try using the summit springs they works heaps better and way more adjust-ability than e-revo springs due to their extra length and stiffness.
I've tried the stiffest e-revo springs and they were useless to me.
It all depends on the person and driving i guess.
Even the stiffest summit springs aren't quite enough for me.
But i run an oversized esc/motor and parallel batteries though...
You should seriously consider upgrading the esc it will go heaps faster and run cooler, I know this because I've done it with a leopard and hobbywing esc... fantastic results. more power, less heat, and no need to run volatile 3s.

Oh and have fun replacing worn parts like there no tomorrow....
They chew through stock parts really quick.
Most of the car stock is really just spares.
Crap spares.

#5 ·
Thanks Jake,
Didnt get Traxxas batteries. Bought them from local hobby shop. Any info on the esc (name and model number) would be appreciated. I reaplaced the Traxxas shock bodies with GH Racing ones, not really impressed. I had to squash the adjuster to get it to bite into the body but it still slips down when running. Put 50 oil front and 60 rear with black and tan springs, as you said still too soft. Might try something else later.
Yep, finding that things are going to break, especially the way I drive it. Still having trouble getting it to miss the ocassional big solid thing. Broke the front body mount the other day, have to replace that. I think the front steering is out too, maximum bias on the controller and it still tracks slightly left. Good enough for now though.
Spoons

#6 ·
Probably a bit late now but iv used a hobbywing ezrun 45 amp esc, and a leopard v2. 60 amp esc.
Hobbywing esc is taller and can get in the way but has a really good heatsink and is easy program, leopard is easy to fit, hard to program features that arent on the the program card and doesnt run very cool, but will do 3s, which the fan on the hobbywing esc cant handle.
Also good too see im right about the black and tan springs, ill suggest the summit ones agian as they are awesome, i think purple is stiffest, they are very adjustable due to there length, and would work great on the front and back.
I've only got them on the back of mine because i've been too lazy to order another set.
I should have got 2 sets at once but i thought the stiffest rally springs would be better up front.... they are barely better than the black springs.
You can run just the opversized esc, no need to add the problems of an oversized motor.

Im thinking about my e-revo again now too... It's completly f*****.
It needs $250 worth of parts... Or at least I want $250 worth of parts for it.....
I miss roosting people, cars, windows, angry people and my cat with gravel .

Any questions just ask away i've broekn just about everything and adjusted just about everything multiple times.
If you havent fixed the steering issue yet too i know exactly whats wrong.
Also turnigy high discharge batteries are amazing i strongly recommend them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.