Help getting Traxxas Nitro Sport running?

Help getting Traxxas Nitro Sport running?

Has electric starter, new glow plug that works, working glow plug glower, fuel is getting to the carb, but still won't start. It runs a bit while the starter is turning it, and occasionally will run for a while without the starter. It stops after a few seconds though, or if i open the throttle.
    If I lean out the low speed needle slightly, it doesn't start at all. If I have it 1 3/4 turn out, like in the manual, it works the best, but smokes and cuts out.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    How old is the motor (how much fuel has been through it)

has the engine been punished or well treated

What glo plug is it running?

What % nitro are you running through it?

Have you checked to ensure no air leaks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Baja...Because Size Matters!

Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

It is an old car I bought for cheap, the motor it had in it didn't last long, but it came with a "good" spare, and I put that in. I don't know what it has been through.

Glow plug is a Traxxas "Super Duty Long Glow Plug"

16% nitro fuel

The exhaust was leaking, so I put a hose clamp around it and I don't think it does anymore. The underside of the engine is moist but not dripping.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    The glo plug you are using is the wrong one, the Part number for the motor you have is a Traxxas #3230, the plug is slightly shorter and has a very pointed top pin to it.....

The motor may have a leak around the front bearing seal or the rear plate causing the moisture, this can cause some of the problems you are having, a leaky exhaust can also cause the issues.

You will need to ensure the seals are all doing their jobs. 16% fuel will be fine.

I have included a link to the Traxxas website Glow plug section so you can compare the plug you have to what you should have, it also gives some good pickies of what the plugs should look like when they are in good condition

Hope this helps you get it running

http://traxxas.com/support/Glow-Plugs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

was the spare in a sealed bag, or just left floating in a box with other spares with no cover over the air intake and fuel inlet? If so the carb and combustion chamber could be full of grit that will cause damage and stop it from running.

What condition are the fuel lines in? Only takes a pin hole to have a negative effect

You said the exhaust coupler needed a clamp on it, is there a pinched area in it that could be allowing air leaks, or did the clamp split the coupler?

Before you put the spare in did you check the compression? Put a glow plug in and hold the motor by the flywheel so that the motor is horizontal. If it stays where you turn it to it has good compression, if it falls so the head is pointing to the ground the piston/sleeve is stuffed.

Without seeing the motor and hearing what it is doing it is hard to diagnose, we can only give rough advice. Where are you located, there may be someone close to you that can help you get it running
    Only Aero based now, mostly multi rotors and FPV Turnigy Talon-X, Scratch Built Tri, Scratch built Deadcat
    900mhz and 5.8g FPV Setups, Custom Clover Leaf aerials
    Anyone need CAD (Solidworks) designs done PM me, all i need is a rough sketch. No Charge for simple designs.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I have the right glow plug, the fuel line is good, and the exhaust seems to not leak. While trying to find the leak, I noticed that the side of the block was moist, and it turns out there was one bolt loose on the head. The head is slightly warped, but I have a spare from the broken motor so I will see how that goes.

The head is fixed, but the sealing surface on the engine is slighly dented, so it leaks from there. Any suggestions?

whats the same surface like on the dead engine? If its in better condition than the one on the running engine, swap over the piston, sleeve, crank, bearings, carb and every other part from the running motor into the block of the dead engine.

failing that, there are 2 options
    1. its time for a new motor am sorry to say, as you cant machine it down without changing the compression, risking the piston hitting the button and damaging parts more and removing the chance to to use them for spares in a new motor.

2.Get some liquid gaskit/heat resistant silicone and seal the join between the cooling head, button and block... but it wont last for to long and you will be back to choice 1
    Only Aero based now, mostly multi rotors and FPV Turnigy Talon-X, Scratch Built Tri, Scratch built Deadcat
    Anyone need CAD (Solidworks) designs done PM me, all i need is a rough sketch. No Charge for simple designs.

On the dead motor, some of the bottom of the piston broke and jammed it. It seems not to bad, except for some scratches where the bottom of the conrod scraped metal shavings along. It is also full of metal shavings, but I will give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

if the block on the old engine is damaged, dont waste ya time just get a new motor, sounds like the person selling it knew the motors were stuffed and thats why they were selling it

I have put a motor together out of the 2 bad motors I had. It starts up easily and doesn't stall, but it runs too rich. There is a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust, it makes lots of smoke, accelerates slowly and hardly has power to engage the clutch and move by itself. I set up the idle, low speed and high speed settings on the carb like it says on the manual. I then tried gradually leaning it out, but it was still slow and spitting fuel out. Any ideas?

Senior Moderator
    It is normal for nitro engines to spit liquid from the exhaust...

Sounds like you may have it too rich still...try leaning the HSN some more...see if it begins to make a difference....the last nitro sport I tuned required some serious leaning to get it to come to life....I think the final setting was 2~2¼ out and flush on the LSN

What fuel are you running, is the nitro content high enough, could the fuel be old and stale, also what glo plug are you using

There are 3 different glo plugs for the Traxxas models, 3230, 3232, 3232X....the Nitro Sport (1.5 engine) uses the slightly shorter 3230, the 3232 and 3232X are slightly longer medium heat range plugs for the 2.5 and 3.3 engines

The fuel is 16% nitro. I don't remember which glow plug I have, but it is the right one. I will keep leaining it next time I have a go, thanks for the advice.

Senior Moderator
    16% should be fine, although if you wanted to...you can step up to higher Nitro % if you wanted to...