Australian RC Forums banner

Newbies with bad experiencec

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  casey5347 
#1 ·
In last Christmas, my wife bought me a heli for my present. Unfortunately, she bought the one that is no remote control. One of my friend referred me to an online rc model heli shop which is a home base office located in Warner to get the remote.

I contacted the seller and went to his home. I told him that I have a T-rex 450s GF (this is a 80% assembled model without remote control), I need to buy some electronic items and a remote to get it completed to be able to fly.

The seller told me that the heli I've got is actually a finished model which is an old system heli with flybar. He suggested me, as a novice, I better get a completed 100% assembled model to start with, it will allow me to fly the heli immediately without spending time on assemble and learn other techniques. He then introduced me the T-rex 450+ DFC. He said this one comes with the remote control and the heli is fully assembled and ready to fly. It cost me $500.

I asked him if I have any trouble flying the heli (because I never fly one before), if I can ask him for help, he said it's fine, I can always email him for any query. Yes, I'm very happy and bought the new heli.

I went back home and started to read the manual before I try to fly the heli. I didn't realise that the remote control has been fully setup by the manufacturer for ready to fly, although the seller has mentioned to me before. Yes, I read the remote control manual thoroughly and tried to do the setting on the remote, yes, unfortunately, I messed up the manufacturer setting and I couldn't fly.

I contacted the seller and explained what had happened to my heli, I asked if he can teach me how to fix it through email. The seller then asked me to bring the heli to him and he can fix it for me. It was so kind of him. Then we made a time to meeting and I showed him my heli. He did a quick check and said I have messed up with the setting of the remote and the heli. He found that all the movement of the heli*has*become opposite, such has turn right, heli will turn left, go forward become backward. He also said I have damaged the blades. He said he needs more time to fix the heli and asked me to leave the heli and the remote with him. He also said that he will choose a fine weather day for me to go to pick up the heli and will show me how to fly.

One week later, he email me and said the heli is ready to be picked up. He fixed the heli and has changed the damaged parts for me. In the email, he stated the prices for the changing parts and also there is a $25 charge for his cost of repair times. When I saw this, I have a bit weird feeling because he never mentioned that he has labour charge for helping me to fix and fly the heli. For the damaged parts that he changed, yes, I totally agreed. I would like to declare that it doesn't mean I'm not willing to pay for his labour cost, I just don't feel right that I was not aware of the labour cost since the beginning I purchased stuff from him. I think if he mentioned to me from the beginning that he will charge me for this, I'll still be more than happy to ask him for help. I just don't like a surprise charge after he fixed the heli. Therefore, I called him right after I received his email and would like to talk to him about the labour charge. I said, "To be fair, you should tell me before rather than charge me suddenly, although I'm willing to pay.". He said, "$25 is a little money and I did spent 3 hours for repairing your heli.". I said, "I just don't feel fair.". He said, "alright, you can come to pick up your heli one week later because I'm going to undo all damaged parts and will reset your heli back to your messed up situation." To be honest, I'm so shocked that he will blackmail me like that, then I have no choice but to apologise to him and said "Okay, I'm coming to pick it up today and will pay you for what you're charging." He then said again, "No, I don't want you to pay now because I'm not happy, just come back 1 week later and I reset everything back to the way it was." I then apologised to him again and said, "please, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you, please, I'm coming to pay you and get my heli back." He finally said, "Okay, but I'm still not happy."

I immediately went to his home and he didn't come out but asked his wife to come out instead. Therefore I didn't have a chance to talk to him face to face and also didn't have a chance to have a test fly. Anyway, I got the heli and paid the money to his wife, of course including the labour charge. His wife told me that she did know that he did fix the heli and did have a test fly without problem. In this case, I have nothing to say but to trust her because the seller didn't even bother to come out to see me.

I tell all these here is just want to share my feelings on my bad experience. I'm just a newbie who spent $500 on this new heli and I just want to fly it and don't know anyone to ask for help but to ask from the seller and has been treated like this. I only found this forum after I had the bad experience. I wish I knew this forum before everything had happened. I hope anyone of you will have known this before and don't need to go through for what I had experienced. I feel so helpless.

Wish everyone (newbies) have a good start of your new heli toy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Jeez $25 wasn't much to pay especially if he had to replace broken parts that you had caused...... Good luck and don't let it stop you, go down to a local club and find someone there who might be keen to help you out, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a club near you. Failing that give me a pm and I'll put you onto a couple of sites to help you out. :D

#3 ·
thank you for your help

Yes, $25 is not expensive, my point is i have not been told since the beginning i asked him for help. if he can tell me before he charge me it is a fair trade and the argument can be avoid. I totally understand that there are no free lunch. In the future, I'll ask carefully before. I just think that it is not necessary for him to blackmail me like that. We can talk it out. That's all I want to say.

#6 ·
The Club I'm Secretary of has a field at South Ripley , lots of help and advice freely available there ; and the Aus Align distributor is at Sunnybank , for parts etc ... no help or advice though !

#7 ·
Sorry for your bad experience and welcome to the hobby. I'm also new and have find endless assistance on this and other forums.

In relation to your situation, I believe you are wrong to have been surprised that he charged you for his time. You went to his place of business for assistance. I am surprised that he didn't charge more. Did he tell you in advance how much the replacement parts would be?
On the other hand, his reaction was over the top.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you learn to fly and continue to enjoy your heli.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I'm not taking sides, but the poor guy probably deals with this sort of thing 10 times a day so maybe his reaction was warranted based on the fact that he has done 3 hours of work for you and generously only charging $25 (that's less than minimum wage).

To expect someone to fix your broken heli, regardless of if the charge was notified up front, is pretty ignorant, especially since the "damage' caused isn't covered under warranty. Would you go to a car mechanic and expect them to work for parts only? A doctor to work for the cost of medicine only? A house painter to paint your house for the cost of paint only? Think about it then adjust your attitude a little.

#9 ·
I contacted the seller and explained what had happened to my heli, I asked if he can teach me how to fix it through email. The seller then asked me to bring the heli to him and he can fix it for me. It was so kind of him.
It doesn't sound like the OP had any undue expectations, the guy offered to sort him out. In reality, all fees should have been discussed up front - this kind of confusion and amateur dealing only gets you into trouble.

I assume there was no invoice provided? No GST paid? If you are going to provide a service you need to do so in a legit and up-front way.

#12 ·
I have been aware of a guy dealing RC from his residence in Warner for a while, I am unsure of his credentials or experience....

#13 ·
Quick EP8 with JR 8 channel tr/trx

I am also new to the hobby/sport. I have a Quick EP8 i was trying to hover it again after a long no touch. It just started to hover and suddenly flipped over and damaged the head and i can not find anyone on the gold coast that sell heli parts or aftermarket parts for it.It is between a 450 and 500 size i believe. The blades are 410 mm total length i also can not find this size blades on line i am just wandering if i can fit the 425 long blades and how much would it take to convert it to fbl.
Just hope this post is in the right place

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.