Australian RC Forums banner

traxxas rustler xl 5 brushless upgrade. cheap options/ ideas

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  wert 
#1 ·
hi all.
firstly appologies if im posting a thread in the wrong place... still finding my bearings around here.

anyways as the title sugests i want to go brushless the xl 5 dont cut it for me. hasnt since i got it 2 weeks ago.

i'm new to rc. as a result, have very little knolledge and to be brutally honest most of what i read gos over my head, what gos in seems to get very tough and hard to chew and i just cant seem to find a recepe that i can cook without causing chaos in my kitchen.

so what i've mannaged to grasp thus far is oboiusly very little but deffinantly a huge achievement as all my knolledge is based on self sought info as no one i know has any interest in rc and i'm clearly not a rocket scientist.

so the car: rustler xl5.
the intended application: strictly bashin.
battery: stock nimh. will upgrade when finantialy viable.
trying to achieve: more speed/ power.
further notes: trying to keep spending as low as possible.

what i know so far is the xl5 will require some upgrades to manage the power up. apparently all bushings will rsquire bearing replacements. i also read somewhere that tranny components could need replacement parts but at the same time i've read the bits n bobs in question are fine on the latest xl 5 but not so on previous models.
um, what else? anything else? i dont want to replace anything other than what is absolutely required so if you could keep that in mind while offering any helpfull advice. thanks.

all above considered its onto the esc and motor. i know some will mention the velineon system... i would like to keep cost to the absolute minimum. i've seen a hobbyking sc8 wp brushless motor combo on eebs for around $150- i think the motor was a 4 pole 3700kv? 2 things apeal here firstly the price i'de like to stay at or round d onefiddy mark. and 2 the waterproof.
for the record i know some peeps dont appreciate the idea of not supporting the trusty lhs. im all for the lhs option if anyone has suggestions of setups that suit the criteria and fit the buget, while being availible in shop. im in melbourne so yeah.

that sums it up i think.
i'm looking forward to seeing what ausrc has to offer to my limited understanding and my need for more speed.
thanks in advance. wert.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
A lipo battery with charger and low voltage cut off will give you an instant power, speed gain and longer run times for a surprisingly little outlay. Yes you can use a lipo with a brushed motor.

Then get a brushless set up later.

A bearing kit is a must have as well. It's probably the first thing you should get. Bearings will make a big difference even with the brushed motor.

#3 ·
thanks wiz for the swift reply.

initially i was looking at upgrading the battery... then a couple of things happened.
1. the battery market is astounding in its degree of variety, almost as astounding as the experiance report / recomendations on offer... the latter turns out to be more intimidating than astounding though when you have no idea... like myself.
2. the battery has certain compatibility conditions in relation to other electronics and these relations are not understood. this point has made me steer clear of the battery side of things to try minimize the inundation of information im trying to keep up with, i thought i'de get to know whats what by tripping out on one what at a time...

another conclusion i'de drawn was at the moment stock i get bored with the car before i drain the nimh. it takes probably 5 to 7 min. i thought if i get a lipo that lasts 45 min to an hr... and dont have extreme power i'de find mr bordom kicking back in. on the other hand if i had power enough to keep me enthusiastic, even for 5 min at a time mr interest will remain superior above mr bordom who i dont particulary enjoy spending time with.

does this affect your recomendation? witch is greatly appreciated btw.

#4 · (Edited)
Nice double post! he he. You can delete one of them by clicking on edit and then click delete.

You might be better off just getting another brushless car, it would probably cost you less in the long run.

There are some good second hand ones around if money is a big issue.

Ide still get the bearing kit if I was you though, it will make a big difference, you will be surprised.

I strongly suggest you go to an off road RC car club event and get an idea of how fast a good car can be.
Most of the guys will be only too happy to give you some advice on what to get, also running a car with other people is so much better than playing with yourself. :p

#5 ·
double post... thats against the rules aint it?
oh well if your going to do it do it with style... 5 mins apart? not quite sure how i mannaged that. but then again i suprize myself quite often.

yep you are right it would deffinantly be more finance effective to just buy another car though going through the ropes modding, even if it feels daunting at this point in time, i think will give me more value and interest in the hobby. not to mention understanding of the specific tool of the trade. like you cant use a can opener to hammer a nail or somat... until you understand that you cant bugger up your thumb good and propper innit.

still getting the bearing kit first. then esc and motor... then i'll do it justification by feeding it lipos.

the hk sc8 looks good on paper just wondering about the 3700kv 4 pole brushless and if its worth a try?

#6 ·
was in a position were i could have started a new thread but thought i'de atempt to keep it minimal since i've only just barely aquainted myself over the last one or two days.

i'm keen to get my hands on a set of bearings for the rustler. anyone know where i can drop in and pick up in melbourne? im north of melbourne closest i have is radical rc but there site mentions nothing bout traxxas.

any recomendations would be great. i checked out the forum on where to buy stuff from witch hobby shop but its pretty messy with alot of he says, he say more kind of jargon... and no offence, to anyone with an experianced opinion, but it kindof sucks when your looking for genuine information or advice and your getting seagulls squabling over chips.

thanks. wert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.