Australian RC Forums banner

Modular Micro RC Track

Tags
losi micro
6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Matt Revilo 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Losi Micro DT and I am starting a summer project to make a modular track for it. I have had this idea in my head for a while and I am finally getting around to working on it. The attached pic shows one of the most basic '5-board' layout for the modular track.

Rectangle Grass Font Dishware Urban design

The thing I am not 100% on is the minimum width. At this stage the basis for this track is 1200 x 600mm plywood so with the border for the track the usable track width will be somwhere from 500mm to 540mm (19.5" to 21") with the design I had in my head, and now in CAD. In the future I will probably also get Mini-Z buggys or the larger Losi micros. Any thoughts on this width with those scales? I looked at the RCP tracks and it is similar to the narrower version of their tracks which I figured was a good sign.

CG

See less See more
#2 ·
So I have gone out and bought the materials based on my original idea. Here is a quick 'Proof Of Concept' video...

I think the lane width is OK for now so I am going ahead with the build. If I get to the end and it is not quite right then it will be lesson learned...and time to build something bigger!

CG

#4 ·
Not sure if you aware of it or not....Losi have a modular micro track as a stock line, it is all framed and uses a soft matting for the running surface..

#5 ·
Yep, that was one of my benchmarks. Those tracks are rebadged RCP tracks and Losi's version had a few little jumps but all in all they looked a bit boring to me. Each module I am making will eventually have it's own terrain features to make driving a real challenge. I am thinking jumps, moguls, a quarter pipe, small table top/doubles, whoops etc.

CG

#6 ·
Sounds sweet

The Losi versions jumps are just cut out of the flooring material, allowing them to easily fold up or be left laying flat...I like to turn it round and make everyone go against the jumps, sort of like avoiding obstacles :)

#9 ·
I have finally gotten around to making a little bit of terrain but the going has been slow. So far I have mad a few moldings out of Plaster Of Paris some of which I have shaped. Each molding has a piece of zinc plated steel glued to it to allow rare earth magnets to be used as dowels. The dowels hold the pieces of terrain into a base module drilled with an array of holes.

You can see them flash by in this video...

#11 ·
With a jig saw you could possibly make sections with curves that dowel in, especially where internal sections are open - to curve the inside corners.
Do you like a curved ripple strip or lane markee on the inside and outside of a corner on the existing set-up or actually have a module that is a curve?

Here are a couple more videos:

Wide and of the full set-up I was running that day....

Close-up of the plaster terrain features with some slo-mo of the Micro DT...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.