Australian RC Forums banner

Need some help in choosing a Truggy

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ozziii 
#1 ·
Gday fellas,

Need some advice on my first serious truggy purchase . I been out bashing a eb4 for a while with friends and taken in to a track and found it just cant handle the brutal bashing and been watching these truggys bash past me several times again and again so i want in on the action.

First main thing is i want one to be tough enough i can take out and jump and run for day and not have mechanical failures like the EB4 does so i seen the Losi 8ight , MBX6t or RC8T all in action and i cant spot any major issue with either of them , i want the kit form to build and put together myself no more RTR crap.

Im happy to part with some hard earned $$ as long as im not breaking it from jumping and i know if i smash into stuff it will break but im a bit harsh on my RC stuff as i fly Helicopters for the last 2 years both nitro and electric so its not all new to me just need some honest advice or which kit and engine combo would suit . Will be buying a radio also so this will be a bit of a cash offset so what kit should i go for for durability ?

I have been told stay away from losi but i seen some being run and they seem fine to me im leaning towards a RC8T as some ppl say they are less likely to do a diff compared to the other 2 models stated weather its true i dont know hence why i am asking here .

Last of all is it worth doing my purchases online compared to a local HS i live west of melb and been said to go see Intense RC in Melton is there anyone else with good knowledge in the rc car scene and will look after me in a whole package and not just taking $50 off a $1500 purchase either ... im happy for my dollar to support local but its a kick in the face when that happens and im only being honest from experience .

Any advise will be much appreciated .

Cheers Andrew :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Nothing is going to take sustained brutal bashings without something breaking...it is all part of the hobby unfortunately

In saying that, the cheaper truggies are going to break faster and more often than the more respected brands

If you are looking for a bash truck, the Hpi Apache is truggy based but with a full body and roll cage to help protect it from flips and roof landings, they are pretty well priced and well supported locally for spares, but the electrics are limited to 4s (14.8v)

Other than that, you may be looking to buy a chassis kit and drop in your own electrics to your custom requirements

#5 ·
Hey thanks for the comments , yeah i will be buying a kit form and building to my liking and so far the Mugen MBX is my preference seems like there is good parts supply also , Im staying clear of the RTR kits only so far bought myself a engine OS speed 21xzr i have had great results in the helicopters so i stick with the brand of OS , i think i might now get a buggy instead its a hard choice possibly mbx7

#6 ·
#7 ·
Yeah i like my nitro engines and noise so will be going down the nitro path and the Tekno stuff is nice i just cant seem to find anyone here in AUS that would be good for supplying parts so i would give them a miss for now

#10 ·
No worries at all. After looking around for the last few days for a electric truggy thats the best i found so ill get that one once i finish this drift truck project im working on. There isn't a big selection of electric truggies to pick from the only other option was buy a nitro one then fit a electric conversion kit but the tekno et48 was a much better choice for me.

#11 ·
Truggy Choice

You need to look at your local racing clubs to see what is more common i.e Truggy or Buggy.

I recently purchased a Losi Truggy but their are only about 3 guys that race these. The buggy class can have up to 3 classes.

Before you spend cash look at your local clubs to find out the most popular class.

I am away to purchase a Losi 3.0. I like the Losi brand, but that is my choice.

#12 ·
Yeah I been at the club not a race day your right there is a whole lot of more buggy action compared to truggy so I have ordered myself a motor and pipe and leaning towards a buggy but it might change once I see a race meet in action , i like local support with parts this is a big factor in choosing a kit

#13 ·
I have a complete MBX6T package for sale with lots of spares.
I'll list it all in the For Sale Section.

#14 ·
Yeah buggy is a bit more popular but there still is a few that race truggy at MORRCC (Melbourne club), buggy has alot more though & a bit cheaper for tyres as well. Mugen, Losi, JQ, Kyosho, Sworks all have good buggies, the Associated is pretty old now & they are working on a new platform & testing atm so should have something new & better soon.
Check out RC Race Supplies for Mugen, Matt has pretty good prices & also races at MORRCC a bit as well, RCRS is located in Shepparton but Matt gets things posted pretty fast or can bring some items to the club if he is racing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.