Australian RC Forums banner

Daviboys new E-revo Brushless

9K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  miyage007 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My name is David and I just entered the Electric RC community.
I can see how addictive it can already be.

It's like modding a real car or bike just on a more cheaper scale.

Anyway I've had a Nitro HPI savage XL for the last few years and never bother to use it because of the constant fine tuning, and headaches that come with it.
So I sold the Hpi and bought a used Traxxas E revo brushless edition.

It is all stock except for some truggy wheels.

Plan to do a few things to make it my own.
I still love the Raised monster truck look so I'll be raising it with the supplied hard springs and rockers.

New pro line shell
Pro line Trenchers 3.8 on Desperado Wheels

I've ordered a pair of zippy 2S 7400mah batteries
A pair of Zippy 3S 5000mah batteries

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Car
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Any thoughts or opinions welcome

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum

My first thoughts to pass on....Go out and have some fun

#4 ·
Received my 2x Zippy 5000mah 3S Batteries and gave them a good test run at the local track near my house, went well.

Although have an issue with my charger, I have a RC power BC6, plug in for lipo balance charge and I constantly get the error message Connection Break.
Not sure if its the batteries or charger

#5 ·
That error usually refers to a bad connection at the lead/battery...try wiggling the battery terminal where it connects to the charge lead

#6 ·
Managed to get the Batteries charged on my mates BCA6 Charger.

Took a good 120 minutes for one of them. And another 70 minutes for the other.

I'm just glad it's not my batteries. So now I'll be in the market for a half decent wall Dual balanced lipo charger with 240v in.

#8 ·
A bit of an update guys, haven't posted for awhile.
Ended up getting a Hobbyking touchscreen 10A charger.
New cheap shell for the e revo.

Issues I've had lately, slipper clutch not grabbing well so I tightened the spring loaded nut a bit and it's fine again.

But my biggest issue at the moment is range, it's got the stock TQI 5 channel receiver, as well as tqi transmitter with iPhone Dock.

I can't get past 20-30 metres before it cuts out and I have no control over the car. I've tried pulling the antenna lead through the blue tube with the metal end hanging out but still no Range.
I end up having to walk upto it before it reconnects, sometimes need to turn the transmitter on/off.

Any suggestions??

Photo alongside my cousins flux Savage 2350

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

#11 ·
Havnt posted in a long time.

Having a few issues where the metal rods or swaybars keep popping out of the knuckleball joints.

It's not stripping the thread out of the plastic eyelets but it's always popping out.

Also in the market for a new charger. I sold my one to my cousin, looking at getting a cheaper 4 port charger with a hefty supply to charge the lipos I got.

#13 ·
I got bored this afternoon so decided to dismantle the tie rods, cos they were popping out of the turnbuckles,

So I decided to lock tight them in place. While they were off I sandblasted and gave them a coat of powdercoat.

Went with bright orange colour. Turned out nice.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle fork Audio equipment
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Trigger Bicycle part
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Coil spring

Front ones are done, just gotta do the rear. What else metal can I coat?

#17 ·
Drilled my front bumper and mounted 8x white LEDs for night driving.

What's the best way to wire them? Ideally IDE like to turn them on through the traxxas tqi controller.
From memory jts a 5 channel receiver?

View attachment 43585 View attachment 43577
Best way would be to set them up in sets of 2 in series and then parallel the lot together, that way you shouldn't need a resistor in line and the should work safely on 6v without damaging them....I do the same for the Baja's (4 lights) 2x series, and then parallel them together and run direct from the main battery, but you will be coming from the rx which has 5~6v supplied through the ESC's on board BEC

If you do the wiring nice and short, you will be able to feed just one piece of twin flex into the radio box and hook into it with a Futaba fitting direct into the rx for simple plug and play operation.....if you want to run a switch, you could also hide that neatly behind the bar and still just run the one piece of twin flex from the rx to the relay/switch

#15 ·
LEDs On!!
I hooked them up to a spare channel on the receiver with a constant 5.8vdc output.

IDE like to have them switchable via the Tqi remote that came with the ebre with the dock. But don't know how to.

Also might decrease the resistor value to make it a bit brighter.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

#26 ·
LEDs On!!
I hooked them up to a spare channel on the receiver with a constant 5.8vdc output.

IDE like to have them switchable via the Tqi remote that came with the ebre with the dock. But don't know how to.

Also might decrease the resistor value to make it a bit brighter.

View attachment 43625
A simple rc switch is a small brushed esc. Use to be able to get gws 6 & 10 amp escs witch were about 5x10x4mm and weighed nothing this is what I used as a switch on my baja. Other than that if you get a micro servo you can remove the motor and hook the leds up to the output of the board. Not too hard to do. Just Google rc switch made from servo or something along those lines.

#16 ·
There is a switch available that allows the control of lights through an on/off channel (any spare channel basically)

I dont have the details handy, but can grab a pickie and description when I am at the shop on Saturday....unless of course I can find the one I have here (might be lucky)

#18 ·
I just paralleled all 8 LEDs together, and joined onto 1 twin core figure 8 cable.
Then joined to a futaba plug that plugs into the receiver.

For now I'll just get a futaba lead extender to connect out of the receive box, and I can join it whenever I need it.

But in future would like to know now to turn them on via the transmitter.

#19 ·
In parallel, unless you run a resistor, you are likely to pop the LED's ( I think I saw you mention running a resistor)

But yeah, similar idea running all in parallel....I like the series set up because you can avoid the adding of extra electronics, which can sometimes be hard to hide or protect from damage

Good idea using the extension lead to avoid having to continually remove the receiver box cover for connection :)

#22 ·
Nice work, it is pretty bright, the inline switch will do what is needed, just means you will need to disconnect it when removing the body

#23 ·
Actually I don't. I'll take another pic of where i mounted it later. Basically where the rear body posts are, there's a tiny square channel right in the middle of them.
I mounted the switch there. Then I drilled a hole In the body for the toggle to pop out of.

#24 ·
Yep, know exactly where you mean, the square hole is the point they mount the electric starter wiring block on the nitro, but they make the same tower for both electric and nitro

Good idea

#25 ·
So now I know not to let anyone else use my e revo, don't think they realise the power it's got on 6s.
Gave it to my little cousin and he shredded another tyre. So now I got no spare wheels or tyres.

I'm tossing up either get a set of genuine Emaxx brushless wheels and tyres or maximiser beadlocks with proline badlands or Trenchers.
But there just so expensive.

My Turnigy 4x6s 400w charger arrived, and I bought a Skyrc efuel 30A power supply to power it.

#27 ·
Still haven't run it for a few weeks. Just getting some cash together for some wheels.
Tossing up between the Axial oversized beadlocks with proline trencher X OR go for the pre glued Proline trencher X on desperado wheels for half the price.

What's people's thoughts?

Automotive tire Wheel Rim Camera accessory Automotive wheel system

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.