Australian RC Forums banner

Tamiya TLT-1

6K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  microfan 
#1 ·
Guys,

I am seriously considering buying a Tamiya TLT-1, and have a couple of questions for all of the Electric Gurus.

The TLT-1 uses standard 540 motors and I need to buy an ESC. Any recommendations? I have a Novak Spy in my Micro RS4 and it does a great job, but for 540 sized motors there are so many to choose from. I would also like reverse.

Secondly, I am 90% convinced this would be a good thing, particularly for my 9 and 7 year old, but has anyone seen any stand out reviews on this little beastie. I need that final push over the edge.

Thanks in advance,

AUSRC

#3 ·
Holy crap - I just realised that it doesn't actually come with a motor... these numbers are starting to add up.

$145 - Kit
$ 60 - 2 x Battery Packs
$ 32 - Bearing Upgrades
$235 - Novak Super Sport Brushless System (Motor and ESC)
$ 50 - R133F FM Receiver (So I can used my current radio gear)

$522 - Total in USD, so about $710 Aussie.

Now I know I can buy a cheaper Standard 540 sized motor and ESC... but even so - I could buy another Savage.

This idea may have just been shelved......

Regards,

AUSRC

#4 ·
$145??? Where's that from, Chris?

Have been watching them at $200... and busy saving up...

Novak BL is probably overkill for the little thing... any decent ESC and a mild-mod would be sufficient - especially if kiddies will be hacking the thing.

#6 ·
zoomer said:
$145??? Where's that from, Chris?

Zoomer,

That is US pricing from Tower. I haven't started looking locally yet - I get my benchmark price from there and then go shopping.

You will have to excuse me I am a real novice in this electric space. A mild mod motor would be something like what? What sort of ESC would I then get?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Chris

#7 ·
nismospeed said:
brushless overkill allright..

All the reviews that Jerrah posted typically used this combo - so I thought - "What the Hell" until I saw the price.

As for batteries - yeah I could make my own. I did for the Micro RS4.

Regards,

Chris

G
#9 ·
yes batts are easy..well if you know what to do

motors...well i got a 16t motor and that makes the car go so fast..

novak and lrp are good esc...i run a tekin pro which was top off line esc a while ago id imagine

anything around the 17t range would do well id say

Nismo

#8 ·
After seeing the TLT 1 on the Crash and Bash 20 video its tempting to
get a TLT 1, but after watching that video its also tempting to get an
EK4 ! You would swear that the driver forgets he has a car with a
helicopter motor in it, he just thinks its a helicopter the way if
flies.

The contioual front flips on the spot the TLT1 does is pretty crazy, I
cant wait to see the indoor crawling scene take off, no cat or
girlfriend will be safe from a mini indoor electric crawler

#10 ·
AUSRC said:
That is US pricing from Tower. I haven't started looking locally yet - I get my benchmark price from there and then go shopping.

Well I'll be... take one's eyes off the ball for a flash and lookee what happens!

Yep Tower $145. The usual ePay suspects have dropped their greed too, they're down to $145-155 now.

Could also be something to do with Tamiya's announcement last week of the TLT-2!!
Just a new shell in all probability, but what the hey.

Don't bother looking for either in Oz, as I don't think TT will be bringing TLTs in. At all.

You will have to excuse me I am a real novice in this electric space. A mild mod motor would be something like what? What sort of ESC would I then get?

A 540 mild mod is mid-teens, say 14-20 turns.

For a little TLT-1, a chromecan basic Mabuchi 540 or Tamiya SportTuned is likely most suitable - good torque, nil maintenance. Or a 23turn Jap-stock if you like fiddling with brushes etc. (All who own one say the TLT is surprisingly very quick!!)

ESC? Futaba MC330R is always a good bet - light & compact. The LRP F1 Pro Reverse is another nice unit but bigger & dearer.

Novak SuperRooster probably won't fit & it'll make it too topheavy anyway; but recently Novak has announced the "XRS" - I saw a preproduction unit and it looks pretty good. Only a matter of price... if its same as Futaba 330 then I'd choose the XRS.

#11 ·
Alrighty then....

$145 - Kit
$ 60 - 2 x Battery Packs
$ 32 - Bearing Upgrades
$ 60-FutabaMC330CR ESC
$ 20 - Tamiya Sport Tuned 540 Motor

$367 - Total in USD, so about $490 Aussie.

That's looking a little more like it. Need to learn more about these motors though......

Regards,

AUSRC

#12 ·
Mabuchi 540 is the chromecan motor provided in most basic kits. It is a 27turn single with zero timing; can is sealed so you cannot change the timing & no comm-cutting rubbish.
Brushes are sealed inside so there's nothing to tinker with; rest of motor will be worn out before the brushes are.

They are maintenance free save for a drop of oil on the bushings every so often.

SportTuned is a black can version of the 540; makes a little more power but still has heaps of torque (wild mods with low turns have less torque).

Suspect the TLT battery pack is just 6x AAs in a pyramid pile? Or are the pix deceiving... could they be 'A' cells?

Then again... the TLT (a 1/18th Monster Truck) is nearly the physical size of a Wild Willy 2 (1/10th not-very-Monster jeep). Thought Sub-Cs would be the go bbut nah, Tamiya has to reinvent 'Betamax'.

#13 ·
AUSRC said:
$145 - Kit
$ 60 - 2 x Battery Packs
$ 32 - Bearing Upgrades
$ 60-FutabaMC330CR ESC
$ 20 - Tamiya Sport Tuned 540 Motor

$367 - Total in USD, so about $490 Aussie.

Bugger - AUD dropping like a stone...

Hey Chris, do you get any special Tower benefits & discounts on top??

Their site just quoted US$41-39 to ship 1, $71-79 to airmail 2... wondering if you knew any good rorts on that.

Otherwise I think it might be ~US$30 to EMS from HK...

#14 ·
Zoomer,

You just have to work the system... until the end of April you get $20 off any order over $200US. From one of there fliers I have a "Save $10" on any order over $125. I get $8 discount on freight for orders over $150.

So, the TLT-1 and ESC is $204. Freight is $40(ish) after freight discount, then $20 discount of that.

Second Order is over $160(ish) - Freight $20(ish) after discount, then $10 discount off that.

2 shipments mean that Customs should leave me alone, total freight of about $60 US and I capture a total of $30US in discounts. So all up I get everything, shipped for under $400US.

The "Gold Customer" discounts don't kick in until after the $500US mark. Obviuosly at that point Customs start to get excited......

Regards,

Chris.

#16 ·
Zoomer,

What is Shizouka?

Thanks, Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.