Australian RC Forums banner

Idle problems

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  ozziii 
#1 ·
Hey guys I need your help, a while ago I bought a hpi firestorm 10t nitro. It worked great for a while. Then I had to move so it was put in storage for about a month. After taking it out of storage, I started it up and let it run to warm up. Every time I place the back wheels on the ground, it stall and I have to start it again.( mind you I have to start it with the wheels off the ground) The only way I can stop it from stalling is to let it hit the ground going. Does anyone know how I can fix this ?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#2 ·
sounds like clutch not releasing and stalling engine
are the wheels always turning when engine is running?

#4 ·
check the clutch spins freely

#6 ·
this i have not done personally but have seen it done once so i'd rather not try to explain it as i may be wrong and you could end up damaging it or something but there will be others on here who know how to do this stuff

#7 · (Edited)
When you say stiff, is the clutch trying to turn the engine over when you turn it. Maybe do a quick check by removing the glow plug and pushing the car along the ground, if it turns the engine over, you will hear a pop, pop noise then the clutch is stuck on.

From a quick Google search for reference pics, it looks like you would need to remove the spur gear (the larger of the two exposed gears) by removing the nut from the middle of it. Retain all the bits, spring, washers and slipper pads in order or take a photo to help you put it back together.

then undo the retaining bolt from the clutch bell (in the middle of the pinion gear), then you can simply pull the clutch bell off. as it may be seized, it might not come off all that easy. If you hold the flywheel and try to rotate the bell whilst pulling it might work its way off.

Good luck.

#9 · (Edited)
Might be out of tune. Did you leave fuel in it when you stored it or was it cleaned out. Including using after run oil or cleaner in the engine?

Also other things it could be is old fuel, or bad fuel, if it was stored in say a shed or somewhere that the temperature would be too hot.

Change the glow plug for a new one and see if it makes it any better.
How clean is the air filter

If old fuel was left in it empty the tank out then clean the engine out by;
With the plug out and with some good fuel in the tank.
remove the air filter and open throttle fully put a finger over the carby and pull the starter until fuel comes out the plug hole, (watch it doesn't spray in your eyes).
Close the throttle and uncover carby.
Turn car upside down and pull starter until no more fuel comes out the plug hole.
Fit new glow plug and replace air filter.

#10 ·
pull the engine out, then pull the clutch bell off and give it all a good clean, could be build up inside the clutch bell causing the clutch to engage to early.

#11 ·
Sounds like bearings on the bell housing are either seized/shagged, or it needs shim washers installed. I had the same problem when I replaced my bearings... I didn't shim enough.

#12 ·
Do they use aluminium clutch shoes? If so, take your clutch bell off and deburr the clutch shoes. I would agree with a clutch issue, engines dont stall just because the wheels touch the ground......

#13 ·
I think some of the firestorms used a 2 show clutch with the spring that bound it together, those clutch springs were famous for snapping, after that the clutch would jam on...

#14 ·
The traxxas clutches do that too. I am not familiar with the hpi clutch though. I googled it and it looked like an aluminium shoe one on account of the vented bell......

#15 ·
Yea, it's aluminum. After I get home this afternoon I'm going to pull apart the clutch and clean it, after that if it doesn't work I'm going to clean out the engine, I'll keep you guys posted

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#16 ·
yep, that's the best idea.

#17 ·
I think you will find that the outer edges of the shoes have spread out and might be catching on the vents or on the flywheel. Let us know how you go.

#18 ·
If it is the alloy clutch, I would agree....I chamfer the lower outer edge about 30° to prevent the clutch shoe catching as wears and burrs the edge over, works a treat and reduces the amount of maintenance

#19 ·
Replace clutch bearings & spring if its a 3 shoe sliding type clutch, if its a 3 shoe clutch then make sure no springs are broken & make sure the shoes pivot freely on the flywheel posts. Also debur like mentioned above.
Engines don't normally stall like that for no reason & its unlikely to go out of tune while just sitting & even then it wouldn't stall by just sitting it on the ground so it has to be a clutch problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.