Australian RC Forums banner

Zipp Kits BULLITT

26K views 110 replies 12 participants last post by  mouse 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Have started the build of a Zipp Kit BULLITT. After reading the instructions, I layed out all the timber work on a bench and dusted down(hand brush) I then sprayed with hair spray(old trick from a cabinet maker). Wait until dry and then spray the other side.

Cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
It hardens all the little splinters and making sanding easier.

After locating the parts required for the frame, I sanded them while they are still in the sheet, easier than doing all separate. I use an orbital sander, just easier, quicker and you get a nice even finish. Some sanding will be required after removal from the sheet.

Cheers

Attachments

#3 ·
Is the hair spray to help the pieces fit together more smoothly?

I ask as I needed to remove the handlebar grips on my sons bike to change the brake calipers and the guy in the bike shop suggested hair spray as a lubricant.

#4 ·
Love the boat build threads! I bet there will be lots of helpful tips in this one.

#7 ·
I thought of you when I saw these in the $2 shop, so I bought them. Do you want me to send them to you?

I'm sure they will come in handy for this and other builds.

Attachments

#16 ·
Looking good. What glue are you using? Resin?

#17 ·
This is an interesting build....does this come as a kit, or just a set of plans?

I have seen a kit that is just a few sheets of wood and a lot of plans, you draw each piece on with carbon paper, then cut it all out, and carry on from there, I thought that would be a fun build, and because you draw each piece, the plans stay in tact for making replacement parts, or even building a complete new kit

Also what sort of coin does a kit like this cost?

#20 ·
I kind of guessed that. Just wanted to check.

It's been such a fast build.

#21 ·
Did not get a lot done today, up to fitting the engine mount rails. They are a tight fit in bulkhead #1 and #3 some help is required. The need of a hammer to seat the rail home all the way.
The build will slow down now as I now have to start with the epoxy sealing of parts before fitment.

Cheers

Attachments

#25 ·
Hi All,
Got the bottom fully skinned. When fitting the inner trip strips you will need to measure from the sponson rear to get both steps in the same place. Apart from this it is just a matter of following the instructions. Now the next couple of days will be doing the two coats of epoxy on the inside.

Cheers

Attachments

#28 ·
Ive seen a few 30 and 20cc aero petrol engines from a deceased estate on ebay. Would they suit your build? Old school?

#29 ·
Brett,
I know about the engines, Spike passed away in January and I have been helping with the sale of parts, these are the last of it. I would like to get a O&R 3/4hp engine and fit that in it, then it would be vintage, but the O&R engines are like chicken teeth.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.