Australian RC Forums banner

One Tx to rule them all?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Watho 46 
#1 ·
Hi there. Just joined the forum to get some advice on the best way to feed my newly acquired rc heli addiction.

Just started last Xmas with a 3ch micro and quickly upgraded to a 4ch mini twister sport. I enjoy flying indoor but was also tempted to have a go outdoor. I tried but figured out that 31gr is a bit light for any kind of breeze which we have a lot of in Perth.

That's when the chain reaction started:

Ok, I'll have to get a bigger better one for outdoor flying,
but I wouldn't mind getting a better one for indoor flying too,
but will need a fair bit of time on a simulator before I get any good at it.

Ideally, I would like to be able to use the same transmitter for all my helis (to be) and the simulator.

Browsing the net the Walkera Master CP caught my eye. I do not intend to fly 3D but it appears to be affordable and durable with good capabilities to suit beginner as well as more advanced flying if I ever get better at it. As a kit it comes mostly with DEVO 7 or 7E transmitter.

So the questions I have:

a) What brand/model of transmitter has the best compatibility with different brands of heli?

b) Are DEVO Tx only good for Walkera? What about the "Deviation" software/firmware upgrade what is this all about?

c) What about Turnigy 9X 9XR or Spektrum DXx seems to be names coming up often in forums?

d) Can I expect any of these Tx to have a flight sim port that will work with any simulator?

I have plenty more questions but that's already quite a good start.

Thanks in advance for any info or comments.

Cheers M.

[PS: I tried posting this before but it went nowhere. My apology if it ends up being a double post]

See less See more
#3 ·
Any of the spektrum radios are good. You can pick them up cheap on ebay too if you dont want to buy new. DX61 is a good start for you.

If you want a good first "real" heli get any of the blade helis by eflite. The are strong, cheap and reliable.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
It might pay to think a little on what sort of heli's you may have in the future.

A dx6i is a great beginner TX, but if you move up in size and venture into a nitro one, then you will out grow it quickly.

I used a dx7 and that was a great radio.

A TX I had before getting rid of all heli's was a Futaba 10 chg module based radio and that more than suited my needs.

On some forums mate if you asked a question like which Tx or band is better, it's like opening a can of worms, but at the end of the day it's what suits you and your budget at the time.

I am not sure on some of the Tx's from HK whether they can be used at a club etc.

Cheers Dave.

#7 ·
I got my 9X from OS, has a sticker on the back saying "allowed in: A/D/E/GB/GR/I/NL/CH" but i am not a mumber of a club so not sure if the OS model can be used.

#8 ·
I had 8 big helis upwards of 450 sizes and about 6 or 7 mcpx helis at one stage plus a dozen planes all on my jr 11x

Jr and spektrum transmitters bind to eflite helis like the mcpx and then everything else bigger than that has its own receiver so you can use any brand of tx you want with its own reciever

But dont be fooled some trans dont have alot of mixing on them etc so it can be a pita if you get jnto planes too which you probably will

The jr 11x can be bought for around 600 these days I think and its a killer radio with more features you can poke a stick at apart from telemetry which I see useless on an aircraft because if you take your eyes off it for at least a second its already travelled a long way and usually meets the earth when you don't want it to LOL

Just my two cents. ..happy flying

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

#10 ·
Walkera Master CP

Hi Guys
New to the forum I have a Master cp and find it a reasonable heli , have been fling for about 12 months on and off.
I have had a few bingels in it so far and have repaired it to keep fling (just) after the last crash I have patched it up but when hovering it seems to want to just hover in a circle about 2 metres around ??

Any ideas ?? also was thinking of upgrading to a walkera 450 has anyone heard anything on them.

hope some one can help

Cheers Watho 46

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.