Australian RC Forums banner

Turnigy LSD AA's

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Genebaby 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd share some long term data for these $1.30 NiMH AA's for those who might be wondering.

Back in 2011 I bought 4 of the Turnigy 2200 mAh LSD AA's to pad out an order from HK. I did an analyze cycle on my Powerex MH-C9000 for each of them which confirmed they were correctly rated at 2200 (all 4 were within 100mAh of 2200 which is good enough for me!).

I have since bought more and have been using them in wireless keyboards, mice, cordless phones etc, but I left 2 from that original batch sitting on the shelf untouched since that first analyze cycle in 2011.

Its been 20 months since then so I figured it was time to discharge one of them to see what capacity was left. 1765 mAh was the answer. A full charge and discharge also showed it still has 2150 mAh of capacity after sitting fully charged for those 20 months

I'll leave that last 1 sitting on the shelf for another year or so and then update this thread.

IMHO they compare pretty well with the eneloops from Sanyo (which I also have a packet of) but at a much better price.

EDIT: I've just noticed HK has 2400's for $1.59... I've got the 2200's that are $1.29

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been thinking for long time about getting some, but im not real sure about using them in my TX, the specky only uses 4 AA, so 6V, and i usually bin my batteries at 4.8/4.5V, so my starting V would be where i usually end. :)

#5 ·
As I originally posted, I'd left 1 of my Turnigy 2200 mAh LSD AA's sitting on the shelf to find out just how low the self discharge actually was.

I finally discharged that battery today and it had 1525 mAh of juice in it (using the same discharge parameters used before). Thats 18 months after the original post, which was 20 months after the first analyze cycle.
Also, a subsequent charge/discharge cycle showed it could still hold 2175 mAh.

So in summary:

Sept 2011: 2200 mAh
May 2013: 1765 mAh
Nov 2014: 1525 mAh

So in 3 years it still maintained 70% of its charge.

The HobbyKing website says (of the currently available 2400's):
In fact these LSD batteries can stay charged for over a year without losing more than 30% of their charge.
The 2200's I tested certainly exceeded that by quite a large margin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.