Australian RC Forums banner

Rules regarding flying in Perth

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Mash13 
#1 ·
I wanna know where i can fly my plane in Perth and what restrictions there may be. I'm currently living in Murdoch and am trying to find a good place to fly my new Hobbyzone Supercub.

#2 ·
Unfortunately I live in the northern suburbs so the only places I can suggest are Bayswater and Yokine. What about the foreshore near Canning Hwy and North Lake Rd?

#3 ·
I don't know much about the rules except to keep it under 400 feet, how you can gauge that I don't know. I fly at a local park and we have our own loose rules, mainly not to **** anybody off with noise. We all fly the same way, clockwise or counter clockwise, any quiet plane can fly anytime but the noisier ones like any pusher prop or Striker we try not to fly till about 9, and no EDF's (at this park anyway, there's another one around the corner). All these "rules" are mainly common sense and for courtesy. 2 years ago the park had no houses around it so all was good but now we are surrounded on 3 sides, so we have to be a bit more careful. The other thing is to be a bit senseable because we have people all around us so we are trying to be wary of public liability. In short, fly anywhere just be a little senseable.

#4 ·
This^^^^ is my idea on the rules as well, the other thing to be mindful of is your local airport. You need to be 2 nautical miles as the crow flies from the end of any runway. Also if there are low flying planes in the area keep you distance or you may have the cops at your flying spot, dont ask me how i know ;-) I quite often break the 400' rule, flying as high as i can and only just make out the silhouette of it in the clouds and havnt been pulled up for it yet.

If you can understand the jargon, here is a link and guide from CASA as to the aplicable regulations....

Regarding your query on model aircraft. The applicable legislation is: Civil Aviation Safety Regulation (CASR) 1998 101G.

It is found in Volume 3 - CASR 101G - Model Aircraft: 101.375
This is the link: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F20.../Html/Volume_3 - scroll down to:

Subpart 101.G Model aircraft Page

101.375 Applicability of this Subpart 138

101.380 Definitions for Subpart 138

101.385 Visibility for operation of model aircraft 139

101.390 Operating model aircraft at night 139

101.395 Keeping model aircraft away from people 139

101.400 Operation of model aircraft outside approved areas 140

101.405 Giant model aircraft 140

101.410 Model flying displays 141

#7 ·
Main thing is to not annoy anyone enough that they would complain to Council, and make sure you don't get to close to onlookers.

Crowds can be a good thing, as the council will often interview locals if a complaint is received, if the council officer gets nothing but a few comments like, yeah there is the occasional guy turns up, makes no noise, doesn't hurt anyone and don't cause any disruptions, we like to go and watch him, they will usually go away and leave it alone

All they need is some pent up whinger that has no life, and is jealous that you have way too much fun, while she struggles to afford the necessary quantity of batteries to run her vibrator, and the game is over, they will stick a big ass sign up to say...Fun Time Over...No Flying

#8 ·
All they need is some pent up whinger that has no life, and is jealous that you have way too much fun, while she struggles to afford the necessary quantity of batteries to run her vibrator, and the game is over
AWESOME towie

#10 ·
007trains, theres 3 great big ovals in Southern River called Southerlands Park, thats where I fly my Bixler. Lost of planes there on Sundays. Some ovals normally have some sports going on over the weekend but I always seem to find somewhere suitable. Also weekdays all 3 ovals are empty :biggrin1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.