Australian RC Forums banner

Everything else

35K views 235 replies 13 participants last post by  towie964 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Some of you may have seen "My Revo Addiction" but I needed somewhere to put everything else.
So here it is my "Everything Else" thread.
I have other models in my fleet other than the revo chassis.
All of them were offroad but I bought my first onroad chassis chassis last week.
I will get some picks up of each model over the next couple of days.

#4 ·
What onroad Snap?

#9 ·
Nice Snap. You setting it up for a combo of drifting/bashing

Looking forward to the drifting myself

#10 ·
Still yet to rebuild the shocks and fit the RDS rear carbon tower. Also came with the RDS battery strap.
There is enough material here to make my own top plate, rear tower, front tower and battery strap.
I will use to ones that roger made on it till I make my own. Nothing like making your own parts.

#14 ·
Might have to get some info off of you for making my own pieces!

#16 ·
It's not rocket surgery mate ;)
All I can say is its bloody dusty dirty crap when cut. So cut it outside and wear a dust mask or you will have black boogers.
I used a hacksaw and a rotary tool for cutting.
Diegrinder for shaping
Sanding drum and flapper wheel for finishing.
Use a sharp drill bit for the holes. I also like to drill out the holes first.
If you got a template of the part it's easy done.

#15 ·
So as you can see I have made up a carbon top plate today.
In surprised how much rigidity this added to the chassis.
Needed an Antenna mount so I glued one to the side of the rx.
Still gotta rebuild shocks
Direct wire motor/speedo
Tidy wiring
Get some 4mm flanged nuts for the wheels.
Make up a battery lead that fits under the top deck.
Setup and test. Borrowed RDS's setup station
I plan on giving this a run Friday night
Also will make my own battery strap, front and rear towers.
Ill get some picks up of that.

#17 ·
Sweet as mate, looks great. Where did you get your carbon from?

I might make some shock tower for my D3, I probably wont but I like to think that I will.

How handy is the dremel in this hobby!

Good work on the pics, keep them coming!

#19 ·
Got a little bit more done tonight on the onroader.
Still need to rebuild the shocks and get it on the setup station and it will be ready for its first run Friday night.
Fingers crossed it doesn't rain.

How important is the fan on the speedy in an onroad?
I took the fan off coz It was easier than running the wiring to rx.

#20 · (Edited)
Mighty fine job there Matt, good job on the carbon cutting, top deck looks nice, and yes it does stiffen up the chassis a lot, which is needed some with the LRP. I think the carbon top give it just the right about of chassis flex, to keep it just forgiving enough without being too much twist in lower turn motor combos. Bring on Fri night, it better not be bloody raining, cant wait to race the Spec-R against your cheater motor LRP :)

How far out was it when you put it on the setup station? I had only ever done that car by eye, using a protractor and graph paper.

#22 ·
Aww comon man, its not cheating if im a noob :p
Im happy with it for a cheap chassis.

I still want to make my own Carbon towers and battery strap, but in the meantime I will probably fit the rear carbon tower you made Roger.
Thanks for the carbon too Roger. I love the look but its a shi+ job cutting it.

#23 ·
That's my prob. Not sure if I could be arsed cutting it!

Plus the kits are not that cheap. Getting the prefab stuff seems a lot less . . . . Well everything :)

#24 ·
Well thats the thing, for that kit, carbon towers are $30 each, a total rippoff, plus there is no one piece upper deck and the like, so, you either stick with it stock ot you have to manufacture the bits you need yourself. And a sheet of carbon is like 17 bucks i think. For some cars cutting it yourself is the only real way to go, its a good way to waste an afternoon too :)

#28 ·
I need to get me some of that carbon fibre, gotta make a chassis brace reinforcer.
I have to say it's looking pretty good though, maybe I should go the full carbon setup on my sprint 2, lol.

#34 ·
Thanks man, I'd never thought of alloy.
I was hoping to do it in carbon to keep a bit of flex in it...supposedly flex is good? lol; also it would match the carbon shock towers and radio tray.
I'm gunna be down the coast for the weekend as of tomorrow morning so won't be able to pick it up anyway, lol.
But there's no rush, it's for the nitro rc8t. If I do decide I want it I'll let you know.

#36 ·
In all honesty I don't know, but from the brief reading I just did, I think there may have been a chassis length change somewhere between those two.
Just looked at the ae website and the 8.2 has a +3mm chassis over the older version

#39 ·
What tip are you using on the dremel?

I was thinking of using a router with the guided tip...it has a bearing just below the main cutting surface, and the run evenly, so what ever you trace, it traces onto the second piece of material, might be a little bit iffy, with sheets that thin though, I think i the router is designed for thicker cuts

#40 ·
I found that using a reinforced cutoff wheel and drum sander to be the best and most efficient way of doing it and a 1mm scribe bit to outline it. I tried routing freehand and it sucks you have no control at all. I would not mind trying the tracing thing, but it is an investment into the unknown really.

#41 ·
Actually I wasn't using a dremel for much of the work, too slow.
I was using air tools at work.

Air Pistol drill for drilling holes.

Air 3inch cut off tool for straights.

Air Die grinder with a straight 1/4 burr for roughing out.

Air Die grinder with sanding flapper wheel for shaping.

Dremel with sanding drum to finish off.

Dremel will be fine but I didn't want to take all day to make these parts.

I also sealed the edges with CA glue.

#42 ·
Hey, those look like proper tools :) I wish i had some of those when i was making my parts. That die grinder with a cut off wheel would have been nice to use when i was cutting the ally plate yesterday :) I roughed it with a jig saw, i started with the dremel and once i worked out it would take about 40 cut of wheels i changed plans.

#45 ·
Have you seen the newish cut off wheels for the Dremel...it has a removeable quick release section for ease of changing wheels. and the wheels are way better than the original cut off wheels that like to implode on contact...have a look at the link below..ooo la la they are great
http://www.dremel.com/en-au/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=EZ406

Ye the tools are good but are bloody noisy (air) and also need a decent compressor to run em continuously.
I had to do it at work coz my home compressor is a piece of junk.
Ironic that I work on big air compressors for a living but my compressor at home is a $99 job that struggles to pump up a bike tyre.
Really....surely someone has upgraded along the way and needs their old compressor removed as part of the deal..wink wink

Thanks for the reply and the pickies of the air tools...reminds me that I have all of those myself, but had forgotten about them, would have made some of the stuff I have done lately so much easier....even my compressor works....now to just find someone that can sort out the reg on it, bloody thing leaks like a secondhand fridge

Are you all set for your on road debut tonight?
I wish I was up to a night out....would be funny to see the look on Mick's face when he comes in after a heat and no dirt on the car...Good Luck Tonight Guys, have a blast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.