Australian RC Forums banner

Now I remember why I left :(

7K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Carnivean 
#1 ·
FFS I have killed the Xcelorin ESC

Thought upgrading the ESC firmware would be a good thing, yet all it has done is kill the ESC.
So the crawling for the weekend is off :s

#3 ·
Lol tiny. I am more of a Love Actually kind of guy :p

Argh just the frustration of losing a big chunk of money down the drain for no reason at all. Seriously garbage that the firmware kills of the ESC totally.

Sent an email to OMP and hopefully they can get back to me with something remotely positive.

#4 ·
Mate i sank my first FPV plane after it got a freak thermal and went to tasmania or new zealand???? No idea gps gave up ?? probably through re entry to earth..

#5 ·
Yeah, I will likely go and look for a XERUN combo to replace it. I never got to run it. Never turned over the motor once.
It's just harder to explain to the little one that we can't go this weekend anymore . . .

That's no good on your side. May a little kid in Tas or NZ picked it up an got something out of it

#8 ·
Yeah tried resetting to default. Read around "read error 4 losi Xcelorin" is a kiss of death.

Further reading showed that basically never use the firmware update function. Another is to just use the programming card. Lot of people say the PC connection is dodgey

Hobbywing here I come for sure

#10 ·
Yeah and i am more than aware of that which is ptobably why i have the ***** with myself as much as anything :)

#13 ·
The Castle ESC's also don't suffer well with Firmware Updates, you can turn them into a paper weight forever by doing the update, unless your particular model is compatible with the update.

After reading the warnings about doing the Firmware Update, I wont be doing any unless instructed to do so by the manufacturer.

#12 ·
Yeah I will wait to hear from OMP and see what they say. If it is a send it in job I will get another in the meantime and maybe use the Losi somewhere else

#14 ·
well I guess the argument there towie would be that the if the manufacturer releases the update for public consumption, they kinda are saying it is ok. Making it officially available through their support channels should be akin to an instruction.

That being said, never had an issue with a Tekin update, which probably made me a little too trusting on the update last night.

#15 ·
I got burned with a BIOS update once, I had been having trouble with a computer, and the manufacturer suggested doing the bios update ( I believe they are a similar thing)...long story short...the computer carked it immediately and was unrepairable...to which the manufacturer told me...that is the risk you take, when you put new firmware on old technology...I don't remember being too impressed then either

Although they did send me a new mainboard as a result

#16 ·
Still nothing from OMP, but still early I guess. Will likely be heading down to RCH tomorrow for a replacement.

#17 ·
OK I have heard back:
"I have been in contact with Horizon and they will be in touch with a firmware that works"

I replied back with all the information with why I dont think it will work, that has been forwarded on to Horizon too. Here's hoping . . .

#19 ·
I will let them hear back from horizon first. Need to be fair

#20 ·
OK so I have my response from HH in the states through OMP . . . Paperweight.

Basically they have said if the update is interrupted during transfer you have a dead ESC.
Nothing from them in terms of support or acknowledging the problem. Can't say I really expected anything more.

So people wonder why Hobbywing, Tekin and LRP (and other companies with good support) who back their products are doing well.

I think I will get a Hobbywing Justock. I wont be going Losi again.

#21 ·
Well Carn, that really sucks. Transfer drop outs can happen for a number of reasons and most of them are not your fault. The Hobbywing Just Stocks are a great esc, same with the X-Car branded hobbyking escs. bang for buck there is huge.

#22 ·
Kind of bites the big one a bit...you would think there would be some way of recovering the esc, even if it was only back to default

#26 · (Edited)
I think it must wipe the memory off the chip before writing the new programing, so if it is stopped/disrupted half way it looses the lot.
I have seen quite a few couple of thousand dollar computers in cars at work being killed from updates gone wrong, Normally an apprentice ripping the tech tool off the car because they need it, and have no idea of the damage they are about to cause. other times just no-worky afterwards.

The HobbyKing range of ESCs are good and cheap. Always good to have one as a back up. Turnigy trackstar range is also pretty good, lots of programing options with the card.

#23 · (Edited)
Ahhh Towie, I didn't expect anything more :)

Yeah it seems like a good solution and reasonably cheap

#24 ·
It is just disappointing for the ESC to become nothing more than kha kha and no help offered : (

#25 ·
Ok. Justock ordered and inbound already. Here is hoping it is closer to the 6 days than the 18!!

#31 ·
Well bugger me . . . ESC arrived yesterday, that's the 23rd. Makes it 7 days from HK, very happy considering the weekend ahead!

#28 ·
#29 ·
I like that RDS. That a good option that I might get a couple for up my sleeve considering I have a few sensored LRP motors.

Wish they had a water/splash proof one though :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.