540 motor heat sink

540 motor heat sink

Can anyone give me the right advise. i am running an electric rc stadium truck { 1/10 rally monster } and i just bought a heat sink fan which is rated for that motor {540}. do i run the fan while the car is running or in the cool down period???? any input wpuld be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

run it all the time, its there to keep the motor cooler while running, there is no real benifit to running it during "cool down" other than to get the motor temp down quicker so you can run it again sooner
    Only Aero based now, mostly multi rotors and FPV Turnigy Talon-X, Scratch Built Tri, Scratch built Deadcat
    900mhz and 5.8g FPV Setups, Custom Clover Leaf aerials
    Anyone need CAD (Solidworks) designs done PM me, all i need is a rough sketch. No Charge for simple designs.

Do not use a heat sink, it will keep heat in the motor where it is not wanted. The best and only reliable method of cooling an rc motor is to use a high volume fan. In the world of spec racing, motors are pushed to the point where the magic smoke is released. Something like this http://sidepieceracing.com/products/seis/ which is kind of the standard in high volume fans in stock racing will reduce your motor temps by about 30 deg C.

If you jump on RC Tech there are a ton of threads in the On-Road section about this very topic from guys who have tested just about every possibility imaginable. Like http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hats-best.html for example, which is the lastest thread about this very topic.
    Spec-R S1 - Hobao GPX4 - TT EB4 S3 - Kyosho Inferno EP - LRP S10 BX - Serpent LX - 3Racing FGX F1

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice wasnt sure cause i was reading different ideas from many posts