Australian RC Forums banner

RC8T super slow build

12K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  schmarkoDave 
#1 ·
Howdy ya'll

So I picked myself up this little fella yesterday.

Only cost me 150 and came with a bunch of other stuff. It's not immaculate, but I'm pretty happy with what I got.
It has an OS 30vg in it, came with an OS 21vz-b v-spec with snapped conrod and OS 28xz also with snapped conrod (sensing a general theme there anyone? lol)
Also has a starter box probably in need of rebuild and some receiver batteries etc. Most of it has been sitting for 3 years so may or may not be any good. We shall see.

Anyway the plan for right now is just to use it for spares for my race car and very very slowly rebuild it to finally be a going car as well.
I'll rebuild the 21 and maybe the 28 as well (so long as it's economical to do so) and then I can have my nitro fix again, lol.
Anywho, it's going to be a looooooong slow build, so I'll post up some progress from time to time.

Cheers
Dave

See less See more
#36 ·
Hey Dave, just putting this out there that my E-Maxx build has taken nearly 4 years now, how long is super slow? :)

#38 ·
Haha touche mate, touche. I only planned on this one being about a year, although it would seem it has happened faster than that so far. We shall see how long it takes to finish I guess.
Although we all know that we never really finish a build, lol ;)

#40 ·
Right, so I've just last night entered myself into the proline thunder down under 3 day event in September and I plan on having this running to race there. So for now all other projects will go on hold, I wanna have this screaming nice and early so I can learn how to drive the bloody thing.
So be watching for progress over the next couple of months ;)

P.s. anyone wanna volunteer to be my pit crew for the event? :D

#42 ·
Thanks mate, I'll let you know when its closer.

#43 ·
Hooray! It's finally finished.
So I finally finished this thing up today, and shall be running it at racing tomorrow (so long as all goes well).

I'm really happy with how it looks, and while there are still a few things that I wish to do to it I'm just stoked and can't wait to drive it.

Ok so the end result is this:

RC8T Factory Team edition
Carbon fibre shock towers and radio tray (modified to take forward battery box), plastic chassis braces (which will get carbon fibre reinforcing later)
Integy aluminium centre diff mounts
King Headz quick change engine mount
Go Racing GXII - 5RHO .21ci race engine, go efra 2072 pipe, standard rc8 clutch, o'donnell 97t turbo plug, Lucky 7 RC air filter, Kyosho large capacity fuel filter/reservoir
Radiopost Red servo for steering and green servo for throttle/brake, Ofna cnc aluminium servo horns
FrSky TFR4 receiver working with futaba 4Pk radio
Zippy flightmax rx lipo battery 2100mah, in forward mount battery box
AMBRC DP transponder
Diff oils 7K - 15K - 3K (f/c/r)
45wt shock oil all round
DE racing front and rear skid plates and mudguards
All new bearings, diff seals and o-rings, front and rear arms and various other bits that I felt like replacing
Proline Bulldog body with paint by me :)

And here it is

#45 ·
Yeah I balanced my wheels today, it made a major difference to them. They were pretty shocking.

So I had my first drive of it today, did quite a few laps with it and I love it. While it doesn't have the power that the electric one does, it is still pretty good. I found myself to be more consistent with this one, but I do have to learn a different driving style to get around the track properly. Plus I've gotta get used to the different weight balance, and the really fast servos.
It took a few adjustments to get the car feeling right, and probably still needs a bit more yet. But all in all I'm happy with the car so far.

#47 ·
Thanks mate. Yeah they're pretty tough hay, I've got three now, lol. I think I have an addiction :p

#49 ·
Haha yeah I'm interested to see how much it does cost to keep this car going actually. I'm hoping its not a huge cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.