Australian RC Forums banner

Transmission lubricant?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Mr.Leopard 
#1 ·
Does anyone lube up their transmission from time to time?

I've just opened mine up to take a look on my slayer pro, and noticed they come stock with no lube at all, is this how you guys run them?

Cheers

#3 ·
i do in the baja, however I have heard of people leaning towards not doing it as grease attracts dirt

#5 ·
I used to use white lithium grease on my old Revos which have pretty much identical transmissions (except the gearing ratio). To be honest I haven't felt any major difference before or after so not sure really but you can if you want to.
In my Baja I have noticed a difference. It certainly rolls smoother and quiter nut again, its not something I can notice when the thing is screaming through the CPI pipe.
Dirt atraction to grease is certainly a valid point. I would say try the grease and run for a couple of tanks. Take out the trans and have a look inside. That will be only way to tell if there is dirt getting on your gears. Unlikely in the case of the Revo as it wasn't an issue for me at all. Both in e and nitro models.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

#6 ·
if they are plastic, I'd say you should be right but I'd wait for more input (bajas are metal on metal)

^^^ further input added!

#8 ·
Just got a response from traxxas support, they suggest "light coating of silicone grease on the teeth of the transmission gears"

Is that the same as silicone spray I use on roller door tracks?

#9 ·
Silicone grease is nice and light and wont cause excessive drag on the gears, you could also try Ceramic Grease (Tamiya use it in plastic applications) but the Silicone spray in a can should do pretty much the same job, it may need re-applying over time because there is no residue left after application, and it will wear off over time

Unlike lubricating substances like grease, the paray leaves a light coating that will wear away, but sounds like you are pretty handy on the tools and happy to strip and maintain, so you should get away with the spray if you keep up the regular maintainance

Ceramic grease is available through most LHS and not very dear

#10 ·
I use nulon exxtreme grease in everything

It sticks to the gears and doesnt fling off

I reckon the baja has about 70cc just in the diff casing alone.....and itll roll all the way down thw street by itself

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.