Australian RC Forums banner

Js tz-v2 .90

9K views 21 replies 2 participants last post by  Peter 
#1 ·
Hi all.
Just ordered the TZ kit. Been crashing electrics for a couple of years now but this will be my first nitro heli.
Messed about with nitro engines a bit back in my control line fixed wing days but that was way long ago.
Would like to hear what engines, servo's etc I should or could use to set it up.
I see there are some 4 stroke engines around. I think they would sound great but are they any good for heli's?
Opinions?

Cheers

B4D

#2 ·
OS 91 HZ with a Hatori pipe is a given ..... 4 strokes fail !!!!

Flybar or flybarless ?

Align 615's and a 655 on the tail ; a LiFe 2s battery pack ...

#3 · (Edited)
Thanx for that info Peter.

Kit has a Flybar head but my electrics are all FBL so I may consider changing it. Does it make a difference re the engine, servo's etc?
I have a spare KDS Flymentor stabilizer which I could fit up and leave the flybar head on.
Sorry about all the questions but being my first nitro I would like to get it right first time.

BTW. Who would be the best supplier for the parts you suggested?

Cheers

B4D

#4 ·
Which FBL unit do you have ??

I'm not a fan of stabilizer stuff, but ......

Where are you ? There's a few good places around to get gear ....

#5 · (Edited)
I use CopterX CX-3X1000 units as I find them small, light and easy to program. I have used the KDS Flymentor with flybarred helis but it is quite a bulky and complicated setup. I started using them whilst learning to control CCPM helis as the continuous crashes were getting expensive. Since then I have acquired Phoenix and a few more hours of real time experience but I still use the FBL systems just because they are on my helis. I haven't flown a flybarred heli for quite some time. Maybe I should try again. It may be worth mentioning that my flying style is along the 'sport' lines. A few loops and rolls with plenty of altitude for recovery but I am definitely a long way short of hardcore 3D.

I am in Northern Tassie so the supply of parts is not fantastic. I get most of my parts via the net generally twice as fast and half the price of the local hobby shops but searching for the parts you suggested seems to point me at the US rather than AUS. That is not a problem but I thought I may be missing something that you more experienced nitro flyers / builders take for granted.

I am curious as to why you are not a fan of stabilizers. I have found them useful on electric helis but I am always interested in hearing the negatives as forewarned is forearmed. Again, having no experience with nitro helis I am wondering if they would have vibration issues or something I haven't considered.

Just so I don't get ripped off or sold a dud. What would I realistically expect to pay for the suggested OS engine, pipe and Align servo's. The prices I have seen seem to vary quite a bit.
I have also noticed some different letters / numbers following the engine designation. -R, F3C, PS 3D etc. Some are listed as non-pumped. Are these differences important in my case.

Once again, thanx for your time.

Cheers

B4D

#6 ·
Those CoptorX devices seem Ok from what I've read ; had 2 here try them with not much success though(prob just means their setup was crap!).. I've played with a few different brands and always come back to the BeastX unit.... All my fleet are flybarless now , it's surely the way to go......

As far as stabilizers go , I'm prob lucky that I've always been part of a great Heli club, with lots of great help always available, indeed I'm the "chief instructor" here now . The few pilots we've had using stabilizers always seemed to have the most expensive crashes; I think because they had to flick a switch to save it, and most have a hard time doing the switch thing early on....

The best motor to get is a non pumped, non pressurized one, but they are getting scarce.. Lots easier to set up and use , but most seem to want the latest and greatest,,,,,

As far as where to get stuff, I'll send you a PM with a few links , I get all my bits online these days, as do 99% of the flyers here ...

#9 ·
Everything ordered bar the LiFe 2S.
Couple more questions on that.
HK have LiFePo4 batteries. Is that the same thing?
What mAh and discharge rate would you recommend?
Will a standard LiPo balance charger be okay to charge them?
Do I need a BEC or something similar to regulate and distribute the power?
Thanx in advance.

Now just waiting eagerly for the postman.........................

Cheers

B4D

#10 ·
I HATE waiting for Mr Postman !!!

HK LiFePo4 is the same thing ; I use the Zippy 30C 3600 2s 6.6 V pack in my 90's , awesome.......

If you're using the Align servos , they are quite happy running direct from the 2S LiFe pack, but you will need a charger that can do LiFe packs; most do these days, even my old Swallow EQ chargers do !

#12 ·
Just fired it up for the first time. Kept it a little bit rich just to be safe. Clutch working properly. All seems good.
Waiting for the last few parts and it should be airborne.
Unfortunately I have to go away working for a couple of weeks but it will keep.
I have some questions regarding throttle / pitch settings as my only previous experience with nitro was control line planks. Flat out RPM till you run out of fuel or crash.

My planned initial settings are:

Normal mode: Throttle: Linear from idle to 100%.
Pitch: 0 deg at 50% to 10 deg at 100% throttle.

Idle up: Throttle: V curve 100%, 50%, 100%.
Pitch: -10 deg, 0 deg, 10 deg.

Max RPM for the engine will give me a head speed of 1935 RPM. I am using 700 mm blades.

Does this sound ok?

Cheers

B4D

#13 ·
I'd suggest setting up a pitch range of -11 to +11 degrees, with 0 deg at center stick , and a linear throttle won't work .... We'll change the NORMal pitch curve later to get a range of around -4, 0 , +11 ..

Almost all of us hover at 3/4 stick position these days , it makes it easier when you get to the 3D stage, you hover inverted at 1/4 stick!!! There's a bit involved in the setup , what radio do you have ???

#15 ·
Not totally up to speed with the Devo's; played with a few though..

Do a pitch setup as I suggested, then a NORMal throttle curve, assuming 5 points , of 0,15,27,50,100,.

Look at the carby body on the control rod side , there's 3 marks close together and another mark each end for stop and full throttle; you want to have the single mark on the carb barrel aligned with the centre of the 3 marks with the throttle stick at 3/4 position , ie at the 50% curve position.. then use the throttle travel adjust function to make sure the servo doesn't bind at FULL and STOP positions. Have the throttle trim lever all the way down during this step. Hopefully when you return the trim lever to centre, the motor will idle with the thr stick all the way down ....

#17 ·
Yep , but if you can make it ...100,60,50,60,100 , that'll be better !!!

You may find the "50" setting might be a tad too slow a headspeed, OK to increase it , but stay below the top mark of the three at the 3/4 stick position....

Hate it when work interferes with the fun stuff .....

#19 · (Edited)
OK....... Just a few things to tidy up and it will be ready for it's maiden flight.

(It is also dependent on other possible household tasks being delegated to me by the good lady)

Peter! If you are about I have a couple more questions.

Do I set C of G with full, empty or half fuel? It is currently dead centre with empty tank and canopy off. Canopy and screws weigh 212g.

Should I use exponential on your suggested throttle and pitch curves or just leave them point to point?

How long can I realistically expect to get out of the LiFe battery before recharging?

Thanx in anticipation.

B4D

#20 ·
C of G with 1/2 a tank , but its not overly important..

yep , Expo on all thr and pitch curves; smooths them out ....

prob 6 tanks with a 3600 Life pack , less with a smaller pack ..

Remember to NOT touch cyclics while a skid is on the ground, but be ready as soon as its off the ground! A reasonably quick takeoff is advisable with a FBL heli ....

Have fun !!!

#21 · (Edited)
Success!.......... Small tweak of the tail and cyclic roll gyros and we have 'hands off' hover first time out thanx to your suggested set-up.

Gave it a bit of throttle and 'WOW'.

No bad habits to speak of. In fact, once I got over it's sheer size it is actually easier to handle than my old faithful 450.

Thank you very much for your help. You have probably saved me many hours of frustration.

And yes, I am having fun !

One more question. Is it ok to leave unused fuel in the tank? Should it be drained or even left full?

Cheers

B4D

#22 ·
Awesome!!!! Bigger is better .....

FUN is what it's all about......

Better to drain the tank at the end of the day, methanol is hydroscopic; will readily absorb lots of moisture from the air....

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.