Australian RC Forums banner

Replacement Steering Servo for Slayer Pro - Any Suggestions?

12K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  RoBB 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have just blown my steering servo on my slayer pro 4x4, and am looking at replacements... To replace the Traxxas servo part 2075 it will cost me $60.

Can anyone suggest an alternative upgrade for about the same price? I thought if I am having to replace it I may as well put a good one back in there. (note: i have not had any problems with the Traxxas servo, im only assuming there is something better out there for it?)

Anyone else replace with a different servo?

-Cheers

#3 ·
I wouldn't bother with the Traxxas plastic gear servos. Too weak and stripping the gears in them is all too common. Go with Savox 1256-TG servo. Direct fit and you should be able to find them for similar coin as your budget if you know where to look. Google is your best friend.;) Anyway they are way stronger and a bit faster than Traxxas servo. Should last you are while. Feel free to upgrade the servo saver spring and steering arm (one that goes on the servo saver) as that will make the steering more direct and precise. These are left weak/soft on purpose to protect the weak Traxxas servo but the Savox can take it.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
Excellent... looks like ill upgrade to the suggested servo...

Feel free to upgrade the servo saver spring and steering arm (one that goes on the servo saver) as that will make the steering more direct and precise.
What do i search for to find this aftermarket servo saver? Any specifics you can give me?

Cheers

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Im making my order tomorrow for a new steering servo, and according to the LHS they suggest for me to get another Traxxas stock one as it is waterproof, and no others (i think) are waterproof.... can anyone tell me if the Savox is water proof?

Anyway, I have found this website for comparing servos, i found it useful... http://www.servodatabase.com/compare?servos=868,1552,1676

Rectangle Font Magenta Parallel Paper product

Can anyone tell me if I order the Savox, will I need to purchase a new horn for it to connect to the Slayer Pro?

Cheers

#7 ·
The Savox servo's arnt waterproof but they do use a 25t servo horn which is the same as the Traxxas servo's, better to upgrade to a Alloy servo horn if you upgrade the servo as the plastic ones flex to much and the splines will strip out easy as well..

Hitec do a waterproof servo HS-5646WP its has a bit more torque than the Traxxas, But if ya not running in water go for the Savox hey your steering will be alot better and the servo will last alot longer than the traxxas one ever will..

#8 ·
The Savox is not water proof Spline is 25 same as the Traxxas servo

Hitec make a "Water Proof" HV metal geared servo, but you will need to replace the servo arm as it is a different spline (24)

#9 ·
wouldnt he be better of with a savox 1258 over a 1256? bit faster, this is a 1/10 truck isnt it? he wouldnt need 20kg steering?

#11 ·
Unlikely. I run my tucks often through puddles (accidentally) and never really had an issue. Run a few Savox servos and all the same. In saying that I also have had the same luck with my Ace1015 and Hitec 7955 as well. Submerging them fully would be an issue but little splash is unlikely to do much. Anyway your receiver box isn't waterproof and neither is the receiver inside it.
The servo horn is the same. Just use the one already on your truck. The stronger servo spring will be listed in your manual under option parts. It will have the same part number as the stock one with just a letter after it. It is important to learn how to read your manual and exploded diagrams.
As far as the alloy steering arm: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...Aluminum-Single-Steering-Servo-Saver-Arm-Blue That and the spring will make a fair bit of difference. Especially if you run bigger wheels or you want instant response in handling.

#13 ·
revo or slayer ?

is the slayer just a slash?

#14 ·
Well its built on the Revo platform. Yes, the wheels are just SC wheels but the truck is still comparable to a 1/8th SC in terms of size and weight. He probably could get away with faster servo with less torque but personally I wouldn't.

#15 ·
As BigBlock mentioned the heavier servo saver spring and the alloy arm combined with a better servo will make it so much more responsive the steering will be faster and I find will center better.

My 2c don't do the servo saver spring without the alloy arm. The heavier spring reduces the saver function and will snap the stock plastic arm.
I have this experience on the revo with the bigger wheels so it may not be as much as a problem on the slayer.
It's also possible to disassemble the servo saver and add a washer to make the stock spring heavier.

#16 ·
Cool, didn't know that, I know nothing about nitro cars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.