Australian RC Forums banner

Dedicated Traxxas Stampede 4X4 VXL thread - mods, breakages, upgrades, discussion!

54K views 93 replies 17 participants last post by  cragv 
#1 · (Edited)
12 MONTH UPDATE: I've just replied with pics, full mod list and Q&A after 1 years' ownership. Jump to post #79 in this thread.
24 MONTH UPDATE: another year with the same truck and a few more thoughts on minor issues (there aren't many!). Jump to post #83 to read it.
6 YEAR UPDATE: it's now a Slash 4X4 LCG, jump to post #94 to check it out. Photobucket ruined this old thread; I've fixed some of the images but it's now a bit of a mess! Sorry.

Why this thread? There are a few discussions on AusRC relating to the Stampede VXL already - I searched and found three, which are about the 'new stampede' (from 2010, thread now off-topic), a spare parts discussion and asking 'Should I buy one?'. There's quite a lot of talk about the Slash VXL and the Stampede XL-5 here, but what we don't seem to have in the Electric 1/10 Scale sub-forum is an central discussion thread that is just for owners of the Stampede 4X4 VXL. As a new owner of one of these tough little trucks, rather than adding to pre-purchase threads, it'd be great to have one place to talk mods, breakages and upgrades!

Breakages so far:
Bent rear LHS shock shaft (straightened and filed smooth; Ti shaft purchased)
Bent centre driveshaft (Not bent after all! Gravel in its cover made it look that way)
Snapped lower wheelie bar mount (will be JB-welded then upgraded if breaks again)
Slight crack in Pro-line body rear tray hole, despite nylon washer

Automotive tire Plant Fence Terrestrial animal Grass
Plant Fence Terrestrial animal Grass Groundcover
Plant Beak Bird Grass Fence

(Photo credit: Sandman77 of AusRC)

Mods/Upgrades completed:

Pro-Line Trencher 2.8" on Desperado wheels
Lowered body mounts (looks much better now!)
2x 20mm Sunon fans on motor heatsink with Dodgy Pebble Guard (TM)
Nylon body washers affixed to rear body holes
Pro-Line Chevy Silverado HD2500 body painted Pearl White
RPM Wide Front Bumper
MIP X-Duty Rear CVD (in anticipation of 3S bashing)
Aluminum Shock Caps
Traxxas ESC cooling fan
Slash/Stampede sway bar kit

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Tire Automotive tire Light Wheel Toy

Planned Mods/Upgrades:
Thermal transfer compound between heatsink and motor
Battery expansion to accommodate 3S 6400mAh LiPO
Titanium rear shock shafts (ready to install)
RPM Front/Rear A-Arms (ready to install; awaiting breakages)
32P 9T pinion (ready to install; will fit once 3S battery arrives)
T-bone racing wheelie bar (TBR62105) - will buy if my JB-weld fix doesn't last
Tekno R/C Big Bone Center Driveshaft TKR6755 - will buy if new shaft bends again
RPM rear hub carrier (#80382) and new bearings - will buy if/when stockers break
Aluminium wheel hubs for front (mainly for Trenchers+3S)
Turnigy motor Heatsink & Fan combo (on the way to replace my DIY efforts!)

Most Useless mod: LED spotties (TRA6784). I thought this was a good idea at the time but it was just a waste of money. Sure, it looks alright but meh, this thing is fun already without adding silly bling. Installation was a snap though and Traxxas' smart forward-thinking design shines through, as it looks factory from receiver to bull-bar.

Favourite Upgrade: definitely the Trenchers. Instead of insto-360 machine, the truck is now planted on loose gravel, pulls hard in a straight line and even wheelies at speed. Love it, well-worth the investment!

Runner-up fave upgrade:
sway bars are a close second to the Trenchers. Corners at speed better now, with less roll-overs and more traction. What's not to like?

Plant Sky Wheel Tire Tree
Plant Sky Tree Fence Street light

(Photo credit: Sandman77 of AusRC)

My Experience: I bought mine at Tower Hobbies and used one of their email discount codes, coming to a shipped total of AUD$399. Parts largely from eBay sellers in the USA. I've had mine for a few weeks now and have properly run it three times so far. Each time it has been subjected to massive crashes thanks to my noob driving, big air and one to two full 2S 5800mAh LiPO packs. I've had a few breakages but it is very easy to work on and parts are cheap.

My initial experience confirms it has been a good purchase. I was tossing up between this and a Thunder Tiger MT4 but for the flexibility of being able to tune for off-road handling versus actual jumping, I feel I've made the right choice. Parts availability and alternatives are affordable and plentiful. The size of the truck is great for portability and it isn't hard on batteries. The included TQi radio system is excellent, by the way. Simple to use but very customisable for what it is, and comes with all kinds of programmability and options. (Don't tell him, but I've organised with family & a friend to join to buy my brother one for his birthday soon. We've been crawling together for a couple of years and now I know he's interested in the crazy chaos of this truck. Can't wait to see his face when he gets the box!)

So, anyone else want to talk Stampede 4X4 VXL experiences, mods, breakages, etc? Let's talk! Cheers guys :) -Craig (Eltham North, VIC)

See less See more
#83 · (Edited)
It's been another year with the Stampede and the breakages I've had have been:

- one of the threadlocked wheel nuts loosened a little, which resulted in the steel hex nut rounding out one of my front Desperado wheels (standard ones that come with the Trenchers). A 1/8 wheel nut conversion would have avoided this, as would periodic checks of the nuts. My bad.

- JConcepts Raptor body rear post holes copped such a repeated flogging that I've replaced the posts with hex bolts and threadlocked nuts around a metal clamp on each side. Works well.

- my 6400mAh battery took a proper bang so I had to replace it. Have since improved my Velcro strap system by melting a thin slit in the chassis that allows the Velcro to help bed the heavy battery right into the chassis. Has stood up to much abuse.

- the only thing my mods haven't really dealt with is the rear tie rods behind the A arms (ball ends on the chassis-side) that are used to adjust the degree of negative rear wheel camber. The plastic ball end pieces tend to pop off at the chassis end after rough landings on the rear wheels (bad angles, not normal flat landings). This isn't a design flaw per se, given I'm punting this unfortunate vehicle at high speeds through big terrain with heavy wheels, on 3S battery power and driven by a beefcake motor. However, I have yet to come up with a solution beyond replacing the plastic bits every few bashes. This in itself is a acceptable, but I'd love a design where this breakage didn't occur.

Otherwise (or, in spite of these minor niggles), this has been an amazingly durable vehicle after the upgrades. None of it would be practical if the base model wasn't designed so well and with such quality plastics. I remain very happy with my purchase. Cheers.

#84 ·
I swapped the ball ends on the back with the fully enclosed ones at the front. I also have gone back to the stock wheels and Talons for now. Bashing today was something of a revelation: the 40% lighter tyres meant the truck accelerated better, but it didn't grip anywhere near as well so there was a lot of sideways action (which was fun but challenging). The top speed wasn't as high because the stock tyres don't balloon anywhere near as much as the Trenchers on full noise. Battery lasted longer as the motor met with less resistance on acceleration.

All up, it was useful to be reminded that weight matters. I'd like to get a set of tyres that grip better on gravel than the stockers but not as much as the Trenchers, and also that weigh less and balloon less. I'd then add one tooth to my pinion gear and I think we'd be set.

#85 ·
I've been building a 1/16 to 1/8 scale track on my property in recent weeks and it's coming along nicely:

Since late November, my Stampede is now 4 years old and has been seeing action on the dirt 2-4 times a week again. I'm finally running Trenchers on all corners again after taking a break on the Talons, but having stripped the wheels of 3 of 4 of both the Talons and 12mm Desperados, I've upgraded to 14mm adapters on my MIPs and am now running 2.8 wheels under the Trenchers. This may be the last thing I had to break to get it to a reliable basher on 3S, but I guess we'll see! Pic of the old girl as she currently stands:

#87 ·
I've had a Stampede VXL 4x4 for a few years, don't use it often. Finally I upgraded to 3s batteries, ran about 5 packs through it and blew up the ESC. Should I replace it with the same stock ESC or is there something else I should look into? Where is a good place to order from.

#89 ·
Thanks for the response. Is there a preference of one over the other? Looks like MMP has a built in fan but sidewinder is waterproof.
Also do they bolt straight into the stampede as it doesn't appear to have the same mounts.
Also does it work with the VXL motor?
Sorry for the questions but I just want to make sure I get the right one.

#90 ·
We only have the 2wd stampede with titan motor so can't speak for VXL motor. I attached the esc with double sided adhesive. I have no preference between the 2. Depends on if you want the waterproof option.
I used fleabay for the sidewinder and my LHS for the MMP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#94 · (Edited)
It's now a Slash!

Traxxas Stampede VXL 4X4 converted to Slash 4X4 LCG

Version 2.0 of homemade dust and stone guard

Retains T-Bone Racing rear bumper and Trenchers on 17mm wheels

Full steel drivetrain with XO1 diffs and Tekno shaft on 4S system

Longer front bumper is the only outstanding item on the list now.

Trenchers give ample authority in the air and grab gravel like nothing else.

Alu bar from tower to tower for added strength and rigidity, plus conveniently helps mount stone guard

Holes help air escape when mid-air off big jumps; keeps things straight.

Body has already taken a few hard landings with aplomb. This thing is FUN to drive!

Huge battery tray area and plenty of ventilation keeps temps acceptable in summer

Still wheelies on command but it isn't as light in the front, now. Probably more fun to drive now than ever before. The sway bars are mandatory and even on a 6.4A 3S 40C battery (ie. heavy) there's heaps of power and fun to be had here. Loving it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.