Australian RC Forums banner

Australian Off Road Large Scale Championships 2012

24K views 75 replies 25 participants last post by  DDM 
#1 · (Edited)
Great racing event!

Thank you to all sponsors King RC, Aussie Hobbies, OZRC and DanielsPitstop.

Special thanks to;

All intestate and local competitors – without you this event would not be possible.

Troy - the person behind the scene and microphone.

Les – photos

Steve (Dirty Dog Media) – Video

QORLS Committee and Members

Shawn -Direct Hire

Rok RC -for suppling fuel bottles.

Dean Roworth - for his passion for the hobby and help withthe event

Brad Davis AARCMACC – Race director - Brad’s comments;(QORLS is the worst club he has ever directed at) his comment have been taken as constructive criticism and it will be used to better our club in the future.

Congratulations to Our Australia champions;

Matthew Van Gilst QLD - 2wd EFRA - Elcon MMX

Darren Olson QLD - 4wd AARCMCC - MCD V-4

Tony Nettleton QLD -4wd outlaw - DPS Toxic

Julian Fulton-Boot NSW -2wd outlaw - HPI Baja 5b

This event was the first large scale off road Championshipsin Australia.

It will be used as experience for next events to come.

Please feel free to comment on your experience. Your feedbeck will only improve our future events and make out hobby more enjoyable.

Video will be available very soon. If you would like a video of the Championships please contact (kris@alekconstructions.com.au) formore info.

Photos are available now – please contact QORLS photographer– Les ab550406@bigpond.com

Thank you
QORLS

See less See more
#8 ·
Julian really is the dark horse....doesnt drive for how long, then to pop up from nowhere and get a Podium Finish would have to feel awesome...Congrats : )

#4 ·
My apologies for forgetting to thank Rok RC for suppling fuel bottles.

Rocko - you rock!

Thank you!

#5 ·
Congratulations to all the winners and finalists, this was a huge event and the first of such magnitude for the 1/5th off road boys in Australia.

I witnessed and was involved in some fantastic racing on a challenging track!
The track changed over the 4 days and presented more challenges as time went on.

Thank you to QORLS and your committee for hosting, I/we appreciate the amount of work put on the get it over the line.
A big thanks to all the members I met behind the scenes, your all more than welcome to come and race in Sydney anytime as we discussed.

A lot of people will have learnt a lot over the 4 days of competition including myself, I look forward to November 2013 when we can all meet again in Sydney for the next instalment.

Thank you to Brad Davis from AARCMCC for his role as race director, the event ran very smoothly and there was plenty of time scheduled between races for track watering etc.
The Slyfox program didn't miss a best and having Troy commentate the race when your driving is an experience in itself.

Cheers
Dean Roworth
SSME- AARCMCC large scale off road rep.

#7 ·
Next year Brad...get your gear together : )

Well what a great 4 days of racing, a Huge Thank You to everyone, Sponsors, Hosts and Competitors, Marshals, Officials and Spectators.

It was good to see everyone out having fun and working together to make this the first in what will hopefully become an Ongoing event around the country for many years to come.

Once again I got to meet a lot more of the large scale community from around the country, putting names to faces and catching up with Interstate Friends, What a great bunch of people.

I already have my seat booked for 2013....who's coming?

#9 ·
I would like to say thanks for Dean, QORLS, Brad Davis for the fantasic job and the sh*t you put up with lol and the rest for putting on a great weekend. Had a ball of fun out on the track and off. Was good to meet a lot of new people and for the help. A great bunch of people.

Congratulations to all the winners.

can't wait till 2013 for the next one in sydney.

Mitch King

#10 ·
I had a great weekend. Many a laugh was had. Meet a lot of people and put a face to the user name. Thanks to QORLS for putting the event on. Brad for running the event very smoothly. Deano and Callan for all there hard work with the rule books and helping in this sport of ours. Callan from KING RC again for all his help by giving me pointers on how to set up the car and with parts like the powerhouse G4z engine. Brad for helping Callan rebuild my engine after I had a little dust problem. And the Rok from Rok Rc for suppying a couple of servos after I fried mine.

2012 Largescale Offroad Nationals was a great starting point for the future of this great sport.

#11 ·
Brad for helping Callan rebuild my engine after I had a little dust problem. .
all part of the G4Z after sales support mate :thumb:
you were not the only one to get caught with the dust

i think i rebuilt 4 engines over the weekend

but worth it to keep the G4z boys out on the track and having fun

you cant beat that for product support

#16 · (Edited)
Looking at the results DPS and Allanach racing have done very well. “Simple is best!”

I must say 4wd classes have come a long way, look at the closes racing and depth of quality drivers. The 4wd winners had to really fight for their spots.

I have to mention David was dead last at the start. The displayment of his driving to get to second was defiantly the high light of the Championships.I must say my Team Driver Tony had a tire change during the race and still came third.
In my opinion any of the top three drivers deserved to win.
Darren - with all the bad luck you have had you deserve to be Aussie Champion!

Julian - I think you shocked some of NSW team members. You have not raced for 13 months.
YOU CAME - YOU KICKED BUTT – AND NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN

Matt – steady wins the race -you won the winter series and now an Aussie Champion –well done!

Well done to all the Champions in all classes!

#17 ·
kris your the secretary of qorls.... can you get the president on the line..????

asl him why weeks after the event there 's no video footage of any of the races....thats just no good for the largescale scene..

can you please post some video of the event...

and no i,m not going to buy a video of the event..

should be free for all members of the largescale community to see ...that will beneifit the whole largescale scene and all clubs in aus..

post up some vids please...

#18 ·
Ambro, here's a video of the EFRA 4wd Final, not the whole 30 minutes just the start and other bits that i joined and uploaded to youtube...

Got more if you like, just have to get them up.

#20 ·
mate, the guys who got video footage of the event, weren't apart of out club before the Australian Championships. They came out as they were new to the filmiong industry and it would be there first big thing. They want to send an edited copy of the filming to Brisbane Digital Channel '31', and to make a 1hr long DVD to be sold to earn some extra cash, most likely to pay off the video filming equipment and the cost of the DVD's and cases. As if they are going to just give it away? Thats like you going to work and not getting payed for it? Have a think about it hey?

#21 ·
to me and this is just my opinion it was a qorls/ aarcmcc event ...there should of been a qorls memeber taking vidoes to put up on the forum's so we can boost interest in larescale's and also aarcmcc events /and largescale clubs.

even some teaser vids would of been nice , just to show case the event..

if i,m still in large scale when we hold the next national event in sydney..i 'll be making sure i get vids up of all 4 days events and put them up for all to enjoy for free.

it would of been nice for vids to be up to boost interest for all clubs and largescaler's

#23 ·
There probably is a lot of footage about, in my case, I took several videos, but due to the poor visual quality, I deleted them.

Many were just too hard to see properly

#24 ·
Hi guys, my name is Steve, i am one of the guys who you may have seen filming this event, now my first name may be Steve, but please keep in mind, my last name is NOT “Spielberg”, we are only amateur film makers and don’t pretend to be anything else !

We discovered 1/5th scale by accident,( and have since bought a Losi 5T ) and despite our years of playing with RC cars, never realised 1/5th was thriving, and only a stone throw away at Belmont, we believe many people would be interested in this side of RC , so Shane and myself decided we should try and share this with the public, raise awareness of the sport, the club and its members .

We approached QORLS with a brief , this brief explained how our aim would be to get footage aired on FREE to air Local TV ,as this would ultimately be the best way to boost new interest in the sport, and that to do this, footage needs to be aimed at the general public, not the people already involved, so it must therefore be well presented, interesting, informative, and explain 1/5th RC to everyday people that have never seen or heard of the sport ,and so “cannot” be just cars going around the track the whole time !

TV awareness is our main goal, and has been from the start, a DVD was always a secondary consideration, but as awareness grew, it became apparent to us, a DVD with added footage aimed more toward the people already involved in the sport, is more and more essential , both Shane and myself both have real jobs, families and lives, so two beginners undertaking 2 projects at once, is demanding to say the least.

This entire project has been funded by ourselves, not one person we asked has contributed a cent, with all the preparation , legal hurdles, plus filming, it has already consumed more hours than i can count, then the hard work begins, i am currently editing the footage, from 2 cameras,(plus gopro) there is about 16 hours of it to go through, on average i spend around 6 to 10 hours a night editing, yes i am slow , i have not done it before, and i am far from any sort of IT nerd, and with no funding, we simply can’t afford to pay a professional editor ,so we have little choice, i feel a bit like a zombie , i don’t see my family or do anything else other than this project and my day job, its now 4 am, i spend all my time on this project, if it sucks, then i really do suck, because it 100% has my all, i only have time to write this post ,because the editing PC is rendering footage, so i just have to wait.

We did not have, or request any sort of sole rights to filming this event, so it was 100% open to anyone else to film whatever footage they please, we concentrated on what was required to fulfil a TV broadcast, we are only two learners, so can only do and cover so much, I apologise if things and progress seems slow, but please be assured, it is not due to lack of effort !

If all goes to plan , our primary footage will get aired on TV , so everyone can watch our hard work all for FREE !, sure the DVD will cost money, but please do not be naive and assume this is some sort of profit making project, just in case anyone thought money was behind this project, even if we sell 1000+ copies of the DVD, we won’t near making profit from what gearing up for filming this event has cost us , and that’s with us both working for free , my plan is that the DVD should contain all the TV footage for those interstate or those that may not see it if it gets aired, plus heaps more racing, plus extra footage, extended/extra interviews, out takes , and whatever else i can fit in to make it good value.

Many people have helped with this project, most from the QORLS club, it could not have come this far without all their help, like or hate the end result, please rest assured ,we will have honestly done the very best we could possibly do , so a big thank you to those that have contributed (you know who you are) there is way too many for me to thank here, very sorry for the long post, but hope ive answered a few questions, if you do have more, feel free to PM me here, or ask Kris from QORLS club for my email address or ph number :)

cheers

Steve

#25 ·
Welcome aboard Steve ( and friend)

I saw you guys at the event, and you seemed to have some pretty flash gear. I will be keen to see the end result, so please keep us in the loop when this is likely to get aired.

#28 ·
Thats great steve. It will be well worth it mate. Do you think the dvd will be out before the free to air? And could you please notify us when this is going to air. Cheers buddy.
Thanks guys,

The TV footage needs to be finished first, (as it will also be at the start of the DVD), as soon as i feel i have fulfilled the “requirements” as indicated to me by the Broadcaster, we will present the footage to the local TV network for inspection, depending on their response, if they do or don't like it, or if they suggest we need to edit things further for whatever reason, i will then, for the first time, get some sort of idea if we may achieve our goal.

Once i know the TV side of the footage is completed, and rest assured, as soon as i have any news with regard to the TV broadcast, (good or bad), i will be spreading the word like a rash !

I shall then continue to add to the footage to make the DVD, i plan to add more racing and heaps of extra things, and the layout won’t have to be quite so refined to keep the audience interested, only because the DVD will be more aimed at people already involved.

I hope it should take less time to finish the DVD footage, but it will still be a big job, then of course i have to design the artwork, produce a DVD case/disk, organise printing ,mass burning etc, it all cost $$ and is very time consuming, and on its own is a large project for first timers. :p

Steve,

Well done mate, I was also at the event and look forward to seeing the end product.
You guys where very busy doing interviews as well, they will be good to see!
I was lucky and missed getting in front of the camera ... Lol

Cheers
Dean

Thanks Dean, i am looking forward to it all being finished too, plus, i have a “brand new “ Losi 5-T & 4PKS sitting in front of me, and have not had time to even start the engine once, let alone drive the dam thing, im reminded of this when i edit , watching footage of you guys driving your cars around !

:)

#27 ·
Steve,

Well done mate, I was also at the event and look forward to seeing the end product.
You guys where very busy doing interviews as well, they will be good to see!
I was lucky and missed getting in front of the camera ... Lol

Cheers
Dean

#30 ·
Steve...Just to show how nice a person I can be...I am happy to give the Losi a run for you...at no cost of course....See told ya I was a nice guy

Seriously though...slip out to Belmont tomorrow, slap on a hat and some sunscreen, and catch a lazy day watching the Enduro that is being run. You are sure to see some smiling faces that were there for the Nationals...I will be under a tree somewhere : )

Anyone else in the area tomorrow, come for a look....suposed to be a 2 hour Enduro, should be a good one, I believe there may even be a couple of Losi's about

#31 ·
Good work Steve .... I'd love to see some kick as footage as I wasn't able to make it n was spewing
Lol

Question.....why is your username DDM?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using a drunk monkeys ***** as a stylus

#34 ·
Ohhhh right I get ya my bad

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using a drunk monkeys ***** as a stylus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.