Australian RC Forums banner

My new Losi 5-ve-T

28K views 57 replies 13 participants last post by  Matt Revilo 
#1 ·
Well talk about excited! I just picked up my RC i have been dreaming about for ages! My fleet is now complete! I can ease up on the spending a wee bit for a couple weeks then its a OBR full mod and a few other bits and pieces for it like decent Transmitter to make the most of the telemtry, TR clutch housing, decent clutch and shroud, Ali chassis braces and a few "consumables" like diffs, axles, bearings, couplers and boots.
A huge thank you goes out to "Ellenbrook" for putting me onto it. Its a second hand truck with Losi pipe on it that was still in the box and has never even had fuel in the tank. It was an awesome score. $1900 worth of receipts and i paid $1300 for it.
I just fitted the Receiver out of my Trophy Truggy and got it all going with that receiver till I can buy a Spektrum for it. I put some gas in it and pulled it about four times and she fired into life with a hell of a racket i suppose thats what happens when you start it in the lounge though!
I cant wait to take it for a bash tomorrow!
Any guys out there got some good tips about first mods? Other than steering servo which again thanks very much to Ellenbrook i am picking up tomorrow a good solid Savox. One tip i have had which i think maybe you could try Ellenbrook is to adjust the end points on the braking servo so that it only just locks them up and it puts alot less load on the servo.
No pics yet sorry as im having alot of issues with my dam image shack account!

See less See more
#32 ·
Haha whoops! Im now the proud owner of another 5ive :eek: Lots of mods already. Not new but only a tank and a half old and i know the truck and how well it has been looked after! Every bit as good as a new truck! But actually better cos of all the hop ups already fitted!
It should be here about the same time as my brushless setup! So it will be good timing to get the beast all put together!
It comes with a few hop ups too, brand new victory pipe all new outerwears fitted, i have a brand new senad filter that i will fit to it too. Should be able to sell that for $300 and also comes with Spectrum Tx. I have one of these on its way so ill be able to sell the brand new one when it gets here($200 shipped if anyone wants it, DX3S will still be brand new in box!) and use the one that comes with this truck!
So ill end up with a very hotted up 5ive-T for $1500 ready for me to drop the brushless setup into!
Been an expensive week but a dam good one!
Simon

#35 ·
Well had a bloody big day today building the truck! Was a good effort. First off i took the rear CD outdrive down to work and machined a bit off the back of it seen as the modified RC machined bearing was not to tolerance!
Got the diff all put together with 100k oil in it and all mounted in the modified RC carrier! Very happy with how it all looks! I really like the top brace between CD and clutch housing!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also got my motor all put together! I just drilled a few holes in the factory carrier to allow it to breath a bit! New velocity stack on there, Darksoul clutch housing, outerwears all fitted including crankcase cover which should sort the previous issue! Got the tuned pipe fitted and DT1 filter with outerwears!

Also fitted the team chase steering arm, Darksoul booted CVs, and FLM axles(saving the darksoul ones for brushless build) ali hub carriers losi fronts and hostile rears and Team fast eddy bump stops! Fitted new snap rings and boot to the rear input into the diff. Boot was buggered and no grease to be seen. I then taoed the hell out of the boot with good quality insulation tape to try give it some durability.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/pc011552.jpg/]

Then i pulled the ali mesh out and got the second side of the dirt guards finished! Im very happy with how it looks and even thinking of doing the first side again! Might not be an issue if i get the hemistorm body though!

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/pc011556.jpg/]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/pc011557.jpg/]

And one of it all together! Jeez i cant believe how the dirt shows up in pics haha
I also did alot of mucking round hooking up the HK TX and RX, nice small receiver that i fitted in the battery box along with BEC and Killer bee kill switch setup! Im only using the HK RX and TX untill my Spektrum RX gets here! Then ill bind all that up and get it going! But for now the HK setup is all good! Biggest problem is no end point adjustment on the throttle/brake servo!
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/pc011553.jpg/]

Once the GFR tray gets here i will wire up the Spektrum reciever and wire up the servos with direct power so i should get optimum performance then! Im gonna leave the standard throttle/brake servo for now as it seems to be good! Im gonna run GFR trays and twin savox 0235s on both rigs though!

#36 ·
Well a few more parts showed up today! I dont really need some of them but hey i got a bit carried away at deedeeemms sale lol! I will use the trenchers on the gas rig. It doesnt matter what tires i put on the brushless one it is not going to get traction so i may as well just use the factory one sbut i had heard good things about how well the Dune reapers wear and they were cheap as so i got a set of them too. Just gotta wait till monday now for a day off and i can sit down and spend all day building it! Hopefully my Spekky system is hear by then as the HK system was not liking it at all!

And a photo comparing the sizes of the tires!

The trenchers are gonna look awesome on there! Especially with an all black hemistorm body on there with a few well placed subtle stickers!

Simon

#37 ·
Post more pics with the trenchers mate looks awesome can't wait to see the brushless conversion let me know re the TX when you get it.

#38 ·
How do the Proline Wheels fit up...there has been issues with the rims rubbing against the steering block where it joins to the turnbuckle.

I had issues with mine and eventually decided to reuse the Losi wheels with Silverback Beadlocks and Trenchers to fix the issue and keep the tyres attached to the rims.

I have also used CA glue to hold the tyres to the rims on the inside, the larger tyre seems to like pulling out from the beadlock ring, so I decided to give the beadlocks a little help, so far no issue.

#39 ·
I havent got the prolines on yet mate but when i do ill be sure to get some pics! I dunno if im gonna use the mielke pipe i bought! The chamber looks pretty small and from what i have heard the larger motors like the larger chamber but i really need a silenced pipe! The mielke is definitely a very very nice bit of gear i just think it might be more suited to a smaller capacity ill probably give it a try anyway!
What would you like to know about the TX? I still havent got it going yet as the servos on the dual mount do not seem to be staying in sync! One minute they are perfectly lined up parallel then have a play with the steering it swings back and forwards a few times then let it go to neutral and they are no longer parallel. Its very frustrating!
And yeah imwith you mate! Cant wait to see the brushless setup go!
Simon

#40 ·
Oh and cheers for all the tips towie! Were you running wideners? I have some ali beadlocks on there way so hopefully they will help keep the wheel on! Theyre only going to be run on my gas rig not the brushless one so hopefully they'll be ok!
Simon

#41 ·
Finally some progress!
I havent even really been looking at this as I have been extremely busy at work two 93hr weeks in a row! And half of that is night shift so yeah! And this GFR dual servo tray has taken a bit of sorting out but im there now!

Im happy with how it all looks now! I was going to run the factory throttle/brake servo but wasnt sure how it would go with the lipo driving it so i thought bugger it and just put the other Savox i had sitting there in!

Jeez the steering has some grunt now! Might have to suss out an HD servo saver spring! When i bought the tray i didnt realise it came with the receiver box! Managed to fit the RX and the Killswitch in there quite nicely!
It is a superb product and really recommend it! As with most of the parts i have bought for this!
Cheers
Simon

#42 ·
Well things are going forward again on this. My motor and ESC are now in perth ill pick them up when im there next week. I also have on order a Penta body, fenderless so i can fit the following, 4x Hostile MX knobbly rears and dual stage hard foams, 4x Bowties pre mounted on desperados rears, i have a funny feeling tires are not going to last long running 15s 12kw motor in this!! I also ordered the team chase quick couplers as i seem to chew up a CV boot every time i take it out, a rock gets caught in it and shreads it and then the coupler is all full of crud! At least the ali shroud will help with this. A set of Area RC ali arms are also on there way. I had always thought ali arms on an RC vehicle was a dumb idea but have heard nothing but good things and it seems to be the only way to stop the dreaded arm droop!
I think to make things easy on myself im just going to paint the body black! Or maybe gun metal grey. I wish i had the patience to mask up a couple lines so i could do gun metal grey with a couple black stripes but the shapes in the body look like it will make it very difficult! And i dont want to do a half a$%#d job. One colour with a few select stickers in the right place will look good i think!
Oh and i also got a Vertigo CD locker on the way. Anyone have an opinion on whether this is a good idea or not? The reason i thought it might have been is because the huge power and torque of the brushless setup might just over power the CD and cook the fluid, driveshafts and bearings?? I am running 100k diff oil in it but im still not sure whether it will hold up. Has anyone run a locker in there Losi and can they advise me on how it affected the handling??
Cheers
Simon

#43 ·
Nice buy!

Ive glt a penta on the way as a few other goodies, ill be interested to see what breaks lmao

Looks like your build will be well and truly run in by the time i get done

sent using smoke signals

#44 ·
I have phat dad out drives and FLM axles all round and plenty of spare diffs and center drive shafts! It will be interesting to see how it goes. Others reportvery good durability. I should probably pull it down and get the ali diff housings put in ready for the motor to just drop in and go when i get back! I might do that tomorrow actually! Big tear down and clean up. Though i have to get rid of that other one off my bench so i have some room! Someone buy it!! What diff oils are you planning on running?
Simon

#45 ·
Well a bit of progress. New bearings all round, new Ali diff cups front and rear 30k in the back and 45k in the front with 100k in the centre. Flm axles all round now, irp links, area RC arms, new shock wears. A couple sets of tyres ready to be shredded, and a penta body ready to be painted black. If I can get some paint and some time off work we should be away

#46 ·
how'd ya go with the cd locker? I've been reading your thread and your trucks coming along very nicely, good job. I run an RC monster CD locker on 8s and it's held up well, I love the way it handles but I wouldn't know the difference in handling using gears and fluid as I put the locker in when doing the conversion.

#47 ·
I have decided I'm not that keen on running the locker! I'm worried its going to put too much load on the axles etc. I'm gonna try it with 100k oil in it for a while first. I have a set of 8s battery's here to try and I also have two sets of 12s on the way and one set of 15s I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes! I'm very very close to running it I just need to sort out some decent hold down straps for the battery's! I was very unimpressed with the ones that came with the kit.

Simon

#50 ·
Haha ill try mate I'm not sure how ill drive and get video as well it's not that easy to do on something this quick haha.
Can anyone tell me how you set up the mechanical braking servo and not have it interfere with the electric reverse? I'm running a dx3s and not sure how to go about it.
Simon

#51 ·
Turn the esc brake off completely. It'll help with temps

Sent from the batcave

#52 ·
#53 ·
Well today has been a fun day! I only worked half a day so i came home put the batterys on to balance. Pulled the GFR servo tray off and mucked around, made up a Y harness and hooked up the mechanical brakes. Turns out i can have mechanical brakes and reverse! I just set the brakes up so they have a fair bit of play in the arms before it starts pulling the discs on. So i can slam the brakes on to stop but then to reverse i just apply a small amount of reverse throttle and it backs up without applying the brakes. While i had it all in bits i also fitted up the spectrum temp sensor to the motor and rx. Hit 130f thrashing it but more on that soon.
I also hooked the ESC up to my laptop and had another play and actually got the transmitter endpoints stored which is something i couldnt do yesterday. I just had to set them each time i turned it on which was not a big deal but its much easier now! While i had it hooked up, i looked into the LVC and found that to be on a less than ideal setting. It was set to turn off at 78% of original battery voltage which i dont think was a good idea at all so i set it for lipo and had to program in that i was running on 8s and this time LVC kicked in at 3.7v per cell which is a bit high but its safe so ill run with that! Only draw back with this is that ill have to hook it up to the lap top and change it every time i wanna run different volt batterys but in saying that its only a two minute job so not a big deal!
I then re fitted the tray and all the rest of it and tore the diff out. Pulled it to bits and considering it was maybe only 30min of run time old the fluid was in a sad state! I fitted up the monster locker and got it all put back together and took it out on the street for a play.
WOW!! The acceleration is alot more brutal now! I didnt even punch it once of the line you just roll the throttle on quite quickly and HOLY ****!! And its loose! If you get aggressive with the steering you can drift the thing from side to side all the way up the road! Im very impressed with how it handles and how controllable it is. I was worried it was gonna end up like my Savage flux and just be a pig of a thing to drive! It may well be a different story on 15s! It would be a huge amount of fun on an on road track. An on road truck would be awesome! Can anyone say 1/5th drift ute? The brakes worked extremely well(full noise four wheel lock ups) and so did reverse so im rapped with that outcome. It feels good to be able to slow it down quite quickly now too. I may have to do the dual disc conversion as the discs wore down alot from that one run! Not nearly as much as the tires though! Only three runs with the brushless setup on virtually new tires and they have less than 2mm of tread!
All up run time was probably about 10 minutes which is short but considering i was just hammering it full throttle up the street turn around and full throttle sideways switching back down the street i think its not too bad, on a track where throttle control is require im sure that run time would be doubled. And like i said previously motor temps got up to 130f which considering it was 40c outside already i dont think that is too bad at all but i will be getting a cooling fan unit for it. I cant find anyone in Aus that sells them though! the castle one fits on nicely i tried one on it at Gregs but i couldnt twist his arm into selling me it haha!
All in all im very very happy with the MGM Lehner Combo and would recommend it to anyone! Nice and easy to get setup and a huge amount of fun to use!
Simon

#56 ·
Yep i am absolutely rapped. I could not be happier! If i had a Girlfriend she would be jealous! I love it haha. I just got back from another good bash round the street! Got up to 131f which is 55c which i think is alright. Any opinions on that will be appreciated.
This thing with this much power is made for the roads! At the end of my street there is quite a big culdesack with a traffic island in the middle of it and you can drift all the way round it and power slide off up the road! It is such an awesome buzz driving this thing. The locker has made a big difference as has the mechanical brakes! I wanna put a locker in the back now too haha. Maybe ill pull it to bits again this weekend and fill the rear diff up with 100k fluid that should make it slide even better! Will probably be asking for trouble though once i bump the power up to 12 or 15s. The way it goes now i honestly cannot even comprehend how its going to go on 15s it is going to be FARKEEN RIDICULOUS!
I need to get a mate that is good on the camera and get him to come and take some decent videos of it, not just straight up and down the street. Some nice corners on some smooth and slippery asphalt would be perfect! I may have to go for a drive tomorrow.
I also got a bit keen and got my savage fixed up it was actually only a broken tie rod so got that sussed out and too that for a thrash and jeez i forgot how well that goes as well! Ill have to get someone that knows how to steer an RC and have a race between the two! Up to 60kmh i would say it would be fairly even but then the losi would pull away! Its bloody nuts on the road! Especially with the big soft standard tires on it it just rolls round all over the place compared to the losi which skates round all over the place! I went to take it for a quick bash on some gravel but the roost was filling it up too quick and ripped a CV bood almost straight away so i have decided to give that up till i get my penta body on.
Im just waiting for paint to get here and i can get that sprayed and it will be going on! Then waiting for some wheel nuts to fit my Craft werks wideners on and ill be able to put the 5B rears all round! I think in the dirt with the Hostile MX knobblies on all 4 corners it is gonna be a **** throwing machine! Round a softish dirt track it would go very well i think! Maybe get some road going tires for it as well seen as it seems to be so much fun on the road. I wonder what tires will be good and be able to stand up to the centrifugal forces and provide the right amount of grip and slip for the road.

Heres a pic of my savage! It doesnt really look like one but there is one hidden under there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.