Australian RC Forums banner

The hobbyman dandenong- never again!

[Vic] 
36K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  zoomer 
#1 ·
R/C car enthusiest 6 years

I had a bad experience at "The Hobbyman" Mcrae st Dandenong today.
Ill start by saying i will never go back again and thank god for the internet for allowing me to express my disgust on how i was treated today.

I purchased a hitec servo [$60] from this store 1 week ago i installed the servo and it short circuited internally after 1 minute of use.
(i live an hour away)
I called them and explained what happend and they were quite abliging over the phone and were happy to exchange the item.
However when i took it down there,they decided i was NOT getting an exchange but i would have to wait to get my original one sent away to be checked.
And if they determined it was a manufacture fault i would then get an exchange
Who knows after how long!
The OWNER MANAGER would not comprimise or reach a amacable agreement.
Infact he was quite rude towards me and tried to humiliate me in front of other clients!
I never wanted a refund only an exchange, and he also said he had seen this before.
He insulted me by giving me a crappy 2nd hand servo and said he would want it back at a later stage
I walked out in outrage!

NEVER DEAL WITH THIS SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#32 ·
Mate your right, we are all wrong, none of us have worked in hobby shops, you are the only one that works in customer service so you know all when it comes to that kind of thing. if you dont like their policys, its simple dont shop there, but i bet there are alot of people that have been happy with the service from them. If i took a servo back that had been burnt out within a short time and they offered me the use of a second hand servo i would be happy while they sorted out what was going on with the dead one. If you know it wasnt your fault why is it such an issue that it needs to be sent back to the supplier for testing? You'll get it replaced, and the use of the second hand servo while you wait for them to replace it. The didnt HAVE to offer you the second hand servo, they could have said we have to send it back, p1ss off and wait, but they didnt and you acted like a royal tosser because you didnt get your own way.

Sounds like you earn to much if the more you earn the harder you are to deal with :p

#33 ·
Man it made no difference whatsoever the decision was already made before I told them
Anyway im no rocket scientist but I dont think they need an electronics expert to confirm the fault
But it's ok, if there afraid of being out of pocket $40 they definitely got it their way
Because now I am by at least $200+

#34 ·
Your easily pleased, and there is no changing the fact that I was mistreated as a consumer
It has nothing to do with the hobby were in or how much we may or may not make
Ill wait, im sure the shop will cover it under warranty
And I will not use the replacment they lent me it's too risky

#35 · (Edited)
Go open your own hobby store and see how much money you make from it.....

I'm not easily pleased, ask around on here how much of a hard time a few of us have been giving one individual on this forum over for sale items that there have been some issues with... i'll shoot my mouth off (and back it up if i need to) but its their store, their policys and there is sweet f all you can do to change it.

#39 ·
Now that you have opened the case, the manufacturer can insinuate that the crushed wire is from you not putting the case back together properly, as someone else suggested, you would have been better off, just returning the servo unaltered and claimed it was not working out of the box, they would have more than likely given you an on the spot replacement as a DOA item.

#37 ·
If you hadn't of opened it up or told them about you opening it up what you should have done was (this is what I would do) just go back to the hobby shop tell them its DOA they would have plugged it in to confirm this and they may have given you another one no questions asked...

#41 ·
This is my last post on this topic, I promise. It's funny what you find out after a day or so.
This guy walks in (big guy) and try's throwing his weight around telling anyone who'll listen how important he is and how he's walking out with a new servo..............really, would you give him one???
I'm posting this link for Glen, he found it as you fat ass left the store.
http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/shop...blems-with-a-product/repairs-and-replacements

#42 ·
Gotta remember millzee, the more money you earn the harder you are to deal with, i think he was telling us that he makes to much so he is entitled to act like a d1ck

Just incase he is to important to open a link:
Repairs

Generally, it is the store’s responsibility to return products to the manufacturer for repair. This may include products that are under warranty.
If the store cannot arrange repairs (for example, because the manufacturer does not have the necessary parts) or cannot do so within a reasonable time, you can:

• have the product fixed elsewhere and claim reasonable costs from the store that sold you the product, or
  • ask for a refund or replacement.
If you came into a shop acting like that where i walked i can tell you, you would get NOTHING other than the minimum service requirement, no special treatment regardless of how much you spend

#43 ·
Amazing that these threads still pop up from time to time, shame that this guy felt the best way was to splash a shops name across this forum, Hobbyman has a great service and parts dept, im sure that if he approched the staff ( any of them at all including the owner ) with the correct manner and imformation this thread would not have started.

I myself have seen it too many times when people come in huffing and puffing and then think its in the best interest of the store to supply them a replacement while they return the product to the head office for testing, good luck on your future purchases when you need something from the hobbyman, There are other stores out there but soon enough they will find out what type of client you can be from your actions here.....

#45 ·
I dont really think this is regarding how good a service that HM provides, its about a bloke who purchased a servo, it failed, he pulled it apart and tried his luck to get a new one.. he failed and because you didnt get it your way you've got the sads on...

Perhaps buy another on and move on. bagging a well respected hobby store over this crap is unfair!

if you pulled it out of the box and it failed and took it back un touched and they didnt replace it then its a different story. but realistically when you took it back it was considered tampered with.

#47 ·
Depends what area the shop is in. The worse the area the more knobs you get. Sorry to the nice people from Frankston (there are some decent people that live there for sure) but man did I used to get some F-witts from there. Everything from junkies and morons to just outright thieves. Some days were worse than others and they bad ones could be pretty bad. Ten idiots trying to pull a fast one wasnt too unusual but most days were just a couple. Problem is if one of them gets away with it that causes a snowball effect and your shop becomes an easy target very quickly.

Getting back to Hobbyman. Glen is a top bloke. Sometimes he might seem a little rude but with how many idiots try to pull a fast one on him I can understand his attitude. Once he knows you and you are polite with him he will go out of his way for sure. Other blokes there are great too. Always helpful and never ignore me like some other places. They would always say hi and tell me they will be with me shortly when they are serving someone else. Never walked out of there thinking I got anything less than first class service. Prices arent crash hot like many other shops on our shores but if you need it there and then.......

VE440, take it any way you want but you bad experience there was your own doing. Even the fact they gave you a loan servo......you wouldnt have got that from me.
Secondly, you import Fezzas and Mezzas into the country? Seriously? And you let a $60 servo raise your blodd pressure. Seriously, I take home about 1K a week which you should trump easily if you indeed do what you say you do for a job. I would guess you would make ten times that at least on just one of those exoctics you sell. So why the **** would you give a **** at all about 60 measly bucks? I cant believe you even had the time to make and reply to this thread. I know I wouldnt if I was importing such expensive cars into the country. Instead I would have told Glen no worries and bought another $60 servo. If the manufacturer/distributor aproved the warranty claim I would have a back up. Simple as that. Thats why I am calling you out here and going to state that you are full of ****. Your whole story is full of holes and you just dont seem like someone who would fit the profile of such a big business man.
Mate, go take a reality pill and stop treating people of this forum as idiots. We are far from it (most of us) and you BS stories will be called out very quickly.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

#49 ·
Mate that shop is in general pretty good.the owner is a tosser though i agree,but the guys working there are sound,especially PJ? That guy is awesome and will tell you straight up the problem and how it is,weather you want to hear it or not.should have seen him as im sure he would have done you something better than what your result was,

#50 ·
I had a pretty bad experience there. I was given an rc kit as a birthday gift which I ended up stuffing up (it was a very stupid mistake to do with loctite - tbh I had absolutely no idea what I was doing at the time). I took it to hobbyman to get it fixed and the guy who I spoke to pretty much humiliated me in front of all the other customers and dropped several f bombs in front of the kids as he was fixing the car. I don't think I'll ever go back to that place again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

#56 ·
Considering it has closed now it's a moot point. They did however move everything to the fountaingate store. Along with some of the staff. I've only ever bought small cheap stuff from them. Others have had mixed results. Personally I usually go to RC Garage in Boronia.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.