Warning to FPV flyers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Warning to FPV flyers

The below arrived recently , as as warning to MAAA members , BUT .... CASA rules are Federal Law ...

===================================
    Dear Secretaries,

CASA has contacted MAAA to forewarn that they intend to prosecute a number of members of the public who have been found to be operating FPVs outside the CASA Regulations.

CASA will also embark on an education program regarding the operation of FPVs, aimed at the public. This may include a request for MAAA assistance, given our support after the incident in Perth with a park flyer a couple of years ago.

You may wish to pass this information down to your clubs.

Regards

Kevin Dodd
    MAAA Secretary

====================================
    QLD's Gold Coast.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MA Spectra G's ;Stratus's ; Extreme, E Razor , N Razor, Fury 55 ;Furion 6; Electric , Nitro & Gasser Whiplash's; ,Aeolus 50 3D ; TSA 600N ; TSA 700N; BeastX FBL electronics... XPS 2.4 GhZ radio........ lots of ignored planks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

The idea of legal FPV is a fallacy. The rules put in place by the governing bodies are somewhat archaic and need updating.

Most people who fly FPV do not do so at a club as far as i am aware. They find remote locations away from heavily populated areas and in general are very safe about the whole thing.

But i guess, it is those who do somewhat inappropriate things or wrong things all together that attract attention from the governing bodies possibly resulting in the complete banning of this section of the hobby.
    My Youtube Channel

Senior Moderator
    mi casa es u casa? what ARE the house regulations anyway, out of curiousity

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Must comply to frequency and output regs. Ridiculously low like 10mW.

The FPV pilot must be on a buddy box as the secondary flyer and the primary flyer must have LOS visual at all times should something go wrong. 400ft max altitude (AGL), Understandable for areas near an airport, but again, alot of FPV flyers research the flight paths before doing any high'ish level FPV.

I think there are quite a few more but to be honest i don't read them as i don't really care.

Also, Peter, please do not take my comment as a dig towards you. I realise you were just forwarding a message from CASA/MAAA and i am thankful for it as a heads up.
    My Youtube Channel

No worries , but the "rules " you state above are MAAA only.. Here's the CASA regs , remember they are ALL Federal law .. (CASA , not MAAA)

Scroll to "part 101."

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/c...g/casr1998333/

and here ...

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dl...D::pc=PC_91039

Pretty sure they are the latest ...
    QLD's Gold Coast.

MA Spectra G's ;Stratus's ; Extreme, E Razor , N Razor, Fury 55 ;Furion 6; Electric , Nitro & Gasser Whiplash's; ,Aeolus 50 3D ; TSA 600N ; TSA 700N; BeastX FBL electronics... XPS 2.4 GhZ radio........ lots of ignored planks

R/C Newbie
    very interesting thread and topic. Has anyone read through all the CASA regs in relation to "small UAVs" with fpv and care to summarise. Working my way through the attached docs. Note section 7 in this regard (small UAV <100kg- probably what most of us are flying ... )

7. UAV OPERATION OVER UNPOPULATED AREAS
    7.1 Small UAVs
    7.1.1 Provided that a small UAV is operated not above 400ft AGL and remains clear of designated airspace, aerodromes and populous areas, there are no restrictions imposed upon the operation of a small UAV. The operator is responsible for ensuring that the UAV is operated safely and remains clear of potential low level traffic, structures, powerlines etc, except where operation in close proximity is part of an operation authorised on the operator’s operating certificate. The operator should consider the benefit of a thorough reconnaissance of the proposed route beforehand.

I'm just about to jump into the whole FPV thing with both feet and funny enough I was reading the CASA requirements for UAV operators lastnight. It's a bit of a puzzle for me as when does an RC Chopper technically become a UAV cause any RC aircraft is basically a UAV. Does strapping a camera to the aircraft change its designation from RC Aircraft to UAV? I just bought a Sigma Hexa 600c with the full Wookong flight controller and 900mhz ground station. I wasn't planing to fly it round my neighborhood but more for remote area photography so I assuming under section 7.1.1 then I'd be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I wasn't planing to fly it round my neighborhood but more for remote area photography so I assuming under section 7.1.1 then I'd be ok.
    Yes as long as you keep under 400ft.
    Tekno RC
    MBX6Te Tekno V4
    FPV Bixler, FPV Tek Sumo, Radjet
    Scratchbuilds - Delta wing, F22, Funbat, KESL Wing, Snowball, PBF

Add to that from what i can find 900mhz is illegal in Australia.
    My Youtube Channel

Senior Moderator
    400ft at sealevel?

Pretty pointless then if i wanna go FPV someplace like Grand Canyon... gotta climb up them mountains first.

Senior Moderator
    400 feet AGL ( Above Ground level) I would assume would be taken at the point where the operator/pilot is flying from rather than above sea level.

Baja...Because Size Matters!

Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Money View Post
    Add to that from what i can find 900mhz is illegal in Australia.
    Currently yes but they have been submitted to the relevent authorities for approval. Since I'm using 2.4ghz for radio, 5.8ghz for video I had to go 900mhz for data to minimise any interference between the 3 onboard devices. if 900mhz is a problem then I won't mention my 2 watt 2.4Ghz transmitter amp 2.4Ghz datalink has approx 2km range at best where as 900Mhz should be good to 5km or more. I'm not planing to fly more then 3-4 km as battery capacity / Flight time limits me to about 30 mins with a take off mass of 5kg. Will be carrying 3 onboard cameras consisting of the obigatory GoPro HD Hero 2, 520line 10x optical zoom main camera a small 520 line tail camera. I started a thread in the Helicopter section and will do a build thread, according to tracking the box should arrive tomorrow with any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Currently yes but they have been submitted to the relevent authorities for approval. Since I'm using 2.4ghz for radio, 5.8ghz for video I had to go 900mhz for data to minimise any interference between the 3 onboard devices. if 900mhz is a problem then I won't mention my 2 watt 2.4Ghz transmitter amp 2.4Ghz datalink has approx 2km range at best where as 900Mhz should be good to 5km or more. I'm not planing to fly more then 3-4 km as battery capacity / Flight time limits me to about 30 mins with a take off mass of 5kg. Will be carrying 3 onboard cameras consisting of the obigatory GoPro HD Hero 2, 520line 10x optical zoom main camera a small 520 line tail camera. I started a thread in the Helicopter section and will do a build thread, according to tracking the box should arrive tomorrow with any luck.
    What is your stand alone data link for?
    Tekno RC
    MBX6Te Tekno V4

Quote Originally Posted by Nogas View Post
    What is your stand alone data link for?
    The data link is part of the Wookong system, allows the Hexa 600c to be flown from a PC by joystick or fully automatically. I'm in the very early stages of attempting to deveolp some commercial applications for this type of machine.

Heres the system that got delivered not 10 mins ago

http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...oint/overview/

Very nice, looks basically like an upmarket PC based autopilot, stabiliser, OSD set up???

Very interested to see some of your footage.
    Tekno RC
    MBX6Te Tekno V4

Banned

See I think you guys are mixed up a uav is a unmanned aircraft vehicle or whatever....its something that's designed and programmed to fly on its own without any human input, a fpv aircraft on the other hand is a manned flying device, a person needs to take it off thegeound, control it in the air and land it, whereis it cannot do it on its own so its not technically a uav ....

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 2

Banned

As far as I'm concerned an aircraft fitted with an fpv system is fitted as an accessory, its a camera with an rf link that transmits the video back to base or in fpv case, your goggles or whatever you choose to be the screen, you can not look at the goggles and still fly the aircraft, I've had gliders and my 50inch eagle as a pindot in the sky flying through clouds n all, sometimes you can get tricked with getting stuck in thermals but then that's the whole fart about it....figuring out which way its pointing and trying to bring it back haha

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk 2

Most decent OSD's have the option for autopilot and RTH which will control the vehicle to a number of predetermined points, so yes, FPV planes can and do fly them selves.

I cant see how having a remote point of contact makes it a manned craft. If there is no man in it, it is unmanned.

Not sure what you mean by "you can not look at the goggles and still fly the aircraft"?? thats the whole point of FPV, you look through the goggles and use them to fly the plane.
    Tekno RC
    MBX6Te Tekno V4

Haven't managed much of my build yet, seems family or work need me more. I was trawling round the net tonight researching UAV training in Aus and found the answer to my question about when does an RC aircraft become a UAV.
    http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dl...::pc=PC_100375 also there's a section on UAV's http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dl...::pc=PC_100374 that makes for interesting reading. I already have the required flight crew license and flight experience so possibly won't require to invest too much in training. Spent the best part of today swapping emails with DJI trying to get my Data link working, not sure who I hate dealing with more the indians or the chinese. At least the chinese don't call me saying they are from MS Support wanting me to install some magical program to fix all my problems but is actually spyware.

R/C Newbie
    Flight crew licence? Training?

What the heck? I just want to build a quadcopter with FPV with my brother and fly it around as he does tricks on his motorbike.

How much does all this training bull**** and certification cost? Amazing how much of a nanny-state this country is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast