Australian RC Forums banner

Vital's Vehicles

51K views 198 replies 24 participants last post by  Vital-Blurs 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's start with my favourite....the Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL.

I managed to break the rear shock tower within the first week of owning it. So, the first upgrade was an STRC aluminium rear shock tower.

Next to break was a side nerf bar when a mate T-boned me. I replaced them with RPM.

After a few months the Titan brushed motor burnt out. This gave me a good excuse to upgrade to brushless with the Velineon system (which lead to new rubber......JConcepts Subcultures)

RPM gear cover was an early upgrade and the STRC battery strap is just a bit of wank really :p

Team Associated SC10-RS (sold)

The only upgrade I've done to this is changing the shocks to Losi Ten STCE's. The stock Associated shocks started to leak after a couple of months.

For some reason the Losi rears were extremely stiff in comparison to the fronts. So the rear needs some softening and more droop.

I'm not sure what the plan of attack is with that problem. Lower wt shock oil?....softer springs? shorter springs?

I also changed the front tyres to match the rears. It came with stock SC10 tyres on the front (KMC?) and JConcepts Subcultures on the rear.....which gave me alot of understeer. Now it's Subcultures all round.

....and what's this?.....a boat?

I know, it's only a cheap chinese jobbie. I actually bought it for my old man. It was 2nd hand so someone else had built it, provided the radio and rx and also did the apparently mandatory adding of weight to the keel.

It's seems to be fully operational but we've still yet to test it. Still looking for the right place for that.

See less See more
#4 ·
I've never seen any RC boats there but it was one of the suggestions I made to the old man. It's often quite breezy there and pretty consistent. I think he wants to test it somewhere where the water isn't so deep first. We had a look at the pond at Bonython Park, it would've been perfect but the water is full of rubbish and general gunk.

Mawson Lakes seems to be the place where the pro's hang out but that's some serious water :cool:

#6 · (Edited)
Went back to the Kurrangga Park track today. While doing laps I noticed the right/rear suspension was getting stuck at full compression occasionally.

Looks like I've bent a shock shaft....

#7 · (Edited)
I've considered buying a fixed pitch 4 channel heli for a while now. The Blade and the Solo Pro have been tempting but then Jang convinced me that the V911 is pretty damn good for $50.

So I weakened......

old4570 would be proud of me ;)

#10 ·
I must say the V911 is a great little heli! It's as stable as a coaxial but nice and fast when you want it to be too (dual rates)

Comes with a surprisingly nice backlit LCD screened transmitter, 2 batteries, a twin USB charger and a full set of spare blades (2 main and 1 tail).....all for under $50.

I've crashed it twice without any discernable damage.

Bargain.

#11 · (Edited)
In the end the V911 was just something to distract myself with while I waited for this!

My first plank....all up, it's cost me pretty much bang on $300.

Is it a good idea for someone to start off with an EDF jet?......I dunno, but I'm gonna find out ;)

Don't worry, LD will hold my hand for the maiden.....and perhaps help to pick up the pieces.

*Hey, look at that. Buying a plank made me a Guru it seems

#12 · (Edited)
Back when I had a slightly larger heli I started working on a helipad just for something to do. It's made from some building material that seems to be 2 sheets of aluminium sandwiching a thin layer of rubber/foam and 500mm in diameter.

It was good practice for masking, cutting, painting etc. It didn't turn out as good as I was hoping for, but I learnt a few things so it wasn't a total waste of time.

All I need now is a bigger heli.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm the one that should be nervous! :pray:

As you can see, it's a bit of a mess in there. I'm not sure where the best spot is for the receiver. I know that I should try to keep it away from stuff like the ESC, motor, battery (although it surprises me that the battery would cause problems)

Perhaps all the way up the front?....there's some space further forward in the nose.

There seemed to be 2 plugs coming from the ESC's direction. I'm still not sure which one is supposed to go into the throttle channel. One of the wires was wound around a little green ring half way along. What would that be? (you can almost see it under the bind plug tag)

#17 ·
The little green ring is suppose to stop interferance. (Jaycar sells them) but I wouldnt worry too much where you put your reciever. I wack mine where ever it fits best or looks the neatest and I have never had any problems ever.

I only have one JR and one Spektrum rx, the rest are HK orange ones and I have never had any issues with drop outs, range, glitches or what ever.

#18 ·
There are two slots in the receiver (Throttle & Aux) and two plugs coming from the ESC's direction that I don't know which is which.

Which one of those two would have the little green ring?....and what would the auxilliary be for?

#20 · (Edited)
The Rx is an AR600.

1. Throttle
2. Ale
3. Elev
4. Rudder (only steers front wheel)
5. Gear
6. Aux? (lights perhaps?)

The lead with the little green ring has a tag with 6 on it.....I'm gonna assume that's not throttle then :)

#22 ·
the 6th channel isnt for running your ailerons on seperate channels is it? No Y lead, ailerons plugged into channel 2 + 6? Make sure you get a vid of the maiden i want to see this thing fly ;)

#24 ·
The ailerons are using a Y lead and going into one channel. I hope to get a vid of the maiden too. If I crash it, I might aswell get it on video :cool:

This could be the case, but I still have no idea why there are two leads coming from the ESC??

Does the ESC have a BEC?
This is possible. I'm guessing the black thing is actually the ESC and the other thing with clear plastic is a BEC? (the lead with the number 6 tag comes from the clear unit)

I have no experience with BEC's and I wasn't expecting to see one in this plane. Any idea's as to why I'd need one?

#25 ·
If you have an external BEC in a plane you have to have another battery for it, which means more weight.

Did it come with an instruction book or can you download one on HK website. Is there any info on the HK for about the ESC?

#26 ·
The manual had some nice colour photo's for the assembly but was completely lacking any technical information.

Looking at the HK website it says the plane comes with a 45A ESC w/ UBEC. So I guess that's it. Maybe it was intended for using a separate battery for the retracts. I don't really need it though do I?

#27 ·
Its a weird setup never seen it in a HK plane and I have had many :)

If the ESC dosnt have a BEC youll need it as the rx wont be powered when you plug your lipo in, only the ESC will work.

Have you plugged it all in and turned it on? does it run on 3s or 4s?

#28 ·
If the ESC dosnt have a BEC youll need it as the rx wont be powered when you plug your lipo in, only the ESC will work.

Have you plugged it all in and turned it on? does it run on 3s or 4s?
I'm not sure what you mean there. I need to do some reading on BEC's I think.

It's going to run on 4S. I bought a couple of 2200 Turnigy nano-tech's but I haven't turned it on yet as I wanted to make sure it was all plugged in correctly first. I guess I can safely do that now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.