Australian RC Forums banner

Vital's Vehicles

51K views 198 replies 24 participants last post by  Vital-Blurs 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's start with my favourite....the Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL.

I managed to break the rear shock tower within the first week of owning it. So, the first upgrade was an STRC aluminium rear shock tower.

Next to break was a side nerf bar when a mate T-boned me. I replaced them with RPM.

After a few months the Titan brushed motor burnt out. This gave me a good excuse to upgrade to brushless with the Velineon system (which lead to new rubber......JConcepts Subcultures)

RPM gear cover was an early upgrade and the STRC battery strap is just a bit of wank really :p

Team Associated SC10-RS (sold)

The only upgrade I've done to this is changing the shocks to Losi Ten STCE's. The stock Associated shocks started to leak after a couple of months.

For some reason the Losi rears were extremely stiff in comparison to the fronts. So the rear needs some softening and more droop.

I'm not sure what the plan of attack is with that problem. Lower wt shock oil?....softer springs? shorter springs?

I also changed the front tyres to match the rears. It came with stock SC10 tyres on the front (KMC?) and JConcepts Subcultures on the rear.....which gave me alot of understeer. Now it's Subcultures all round.

....and what's this?.....a boat?

I know, it's only a cheap chinese jobbie. I actually bought it for my old man. It was 2nd hand so someone else had built it, provided the radio and rx and also did the apparently mandatory adding of weight to the keel.

It's seems to be fully operational but we've still yet to test it. Still looking for the right place for that.

See less See more
#180 ·
Yeah, it was a bit of an issue at times. Quite often, due to the race order, I'd have to drive the buggy and then jump straight to the SCT, making it difficult to push with any sort of confidence. I guess it was good practice and all balances out in the end.

#181 ·
My first Tamiya vehicle and my first onroad car....

It was actually an XB or Expert Built RTR from RC Hobbies (only $200 and it's got a TT-02 under that sweet body)

It came with a 2.4GHz radio, which is pretty basic, but should be enough for now.

#183 ·
Yep, it's the 1981 Zakspeed Ford Capri (Gr. 5) as driven by Klaus Ludwig......ja.

I'll probably end up taking it to Hobby Habit to use their track, but while Google mapping around my area I found this in the middle of a park just a few blocks away ;)

#184 ·
Some new rubber and a freshly painted body for the Yokomo. Thanks to Phil, our track manager who painted quite a few over the xmas break.

The blue at the back is actually that special colour-shift paint. So, it looks purple from a different angle.

#188 ·
Well, the 22 did alright for my first foray into a mod buggy class with a 2nd place. Happy with that :)

But I just finished my first kit, the Tamiya CW-01 Unimog 406!

I'm still going to paint up a driver figure for inside.

Just the standard electronics that came with it, a TEU-105BK and a 540 motor. Along with a HobbyKing servo.

#191 ·
Yeah it was quite an enjoyable build. Nicely detailed instructions and wasn't difficult finding the parts I needed from the bags. I wanna build another one now ;)

These Tamiya kits have a certain charm to them even if they're not the most advanced designs. Maybe a Blitzer Beetle on the DT-02 chassis or the LandCruiser on the CC-01.

#193 · (Edited)
The Mog is still going strong. Although I did have a slight run-in with a door frame while driving it indoors and broke the servo saver. It wasn't much of a knock, really, but I guess it did what it was designed to do. I've replaced it with the metal high-torque version and it seems to be able to take those small knocks now.

Several months ago I picked up an absolute bargain on ebay with a TLR 22T. Some bloke in QLD built and painted it with the intention of beginning his racing career, but he didn't go ahead with it for some reason. It was brand spanking new and you could see that it'd never had electrics installed in it. It had an starting bid of $200 and I was the only person who bid :)

So I put some Tekin bits in it from a Losi SCT that I had lying around and now it's ready to race.

#197 ·
Yeah, your Mog is a bit more capable than mine :) Mine is still a bit of a shelf queen. Although I do take it for a bit of a burn around the local marina sometimes.

To make it look approximately 20% tougher, I've put on some black rims and Firestone tyre decals...

And I recently put the finishing touches on this MST FXX-D to go drifting with the Warehouse Sliders. Winter has put a complete halt to offroad racing at the moment so I needed something indoors.

The 22T 2.0 is still going well. Got a 2nd place (after a massive tie-breaker) in series 1 for 2017.

#199 · (Edited)
Cheers. It's surprising what a set of black wheels can do.

With Offroaderfest came the need for a fancy racing paintjob, so the 22T got a JConcepts Finnisher body just for the occasion. Which was then painted by Phillip Neville and I'm pretty damn happy with the results.

Painted headlights and grill.

While he was at it, I thought I might as well get a matching one for my 4x4 Slash seeing as I had an standard body lying around for it. It might not ever be raced because we don't have a 4x4 SCT class any more, so I got some nice looking tyres and wheels and put it on a shelf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.