Synthetic or Castor oil mixes?

Synthetic or Castor oil mixes?

The manual for my onroad 1/10 .28 Fusion says to use 20% with Synthetic oil only.

What are the pro's/con's of each type of oil mix?

I have to catch a bus to Cootamundra to get some nitro fuel next week, my guess is that he will have one brand, with a choice of nitro content, if I'm lucky. I will call him in the morning to find out what he has.

Thanks!
    Come to Lake Centenary in Temora to run your RC boat. Free BBQ's, power points, great amenities with hot showers, a childs sandpit/play area and lots of shade sails around the lake edge. It's 2km out of town, fresh water and gas boats are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C Apprentice
    I think you will find the castor/synthetic debate is much like asking what type of beer one prefers.. There are obviously pro's and con's for both. Synthetic is typically cleaner, and doesn't leave any/as much residue or gummy build up in your engine. Castor oil is also very good, and supposedly can help lubricate better at sustained high RPMs by breaking down and creating a lubricating film between the piston and liner.

A lot of people recommend a significant castor content for high end onroad applications as they generally pull a lot more RPM and for a longer amount of time than their offroad counterparts. That being said, I don't know anything about the engine in your car or its specifications, but i'd be willing to bet you're not going to notice much difference running it around on a netball court.

Also, doesn't 20% seem a bit low for a .28? I would've thought 25% would of been a minium, unless they shim them different from the factory.

That's exactly what I was after, thanks asc!

The engine is a Picco .28, made by Picco for Schumacher. I have no info on the specs of the engine, other than conservatively it will rev too about 38,000rpm. I would rather sacrifice some performance for longevity, not go like the clappers for a few months and have a dead engine.

I am looking for a fuel that will keep the engine in good service running on a netball court complex (10 courts, 2X5).
    Last edited by PC WIZ; 17-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    Come to Lake Centenary in Temora to run your RC boat. Free BBQ's, power points, great amenities with hot showers, a childs sandpit/play area and lots of shade sails around the lake edge. It's 2km out of town, fresh water and gas boats are welcome.

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

I do not think it matters all that much Brett, most RC fuels are a blend of both. It only really matters with using castor in gasoline, because it does not mix fully.
    Spec-R S1 - Hobao GPX4 - TT EB4 S3 - Kyosho Inferno EP - LRP S10 BX - Serpent LX - 3Racing FGX F1

R/C Apprentice
    I agree, I doubt you will notice any significant difference. Being a .28 its not going to rev to the moon anyway. With a decent tune and half decent fuel it should last a fair while.

Would it be right to say a smaller engine would benefit most from Synthetic oil, over Castor, as castor leaves more residual (unburnt) oil?

Or does a smaller engine need better lubrication.

Sorry just read your earlier reply again.

Caster is good for high reving engines and it doesn't really matter what oil is used when running a large capacity engine around a netball court.
    Last edited by PC WIZ; 17-05-2012 at 07:07 PM.

R/C Apprentice
    I don't think so. Everyone has differing opinions on what is right for what engine, but i've never seen anyone really mention size as a factor before. Onroad guys typically seem to suggest castor being more useful in their application however due to the revs involved. But once again this is really for high end racing engines that spend most of their life at 40,000RPM+.

I personally use a fuel that I understand (not even 100% sure) is fully synthetic in my onroad engine, and have not come across any problems.

Any particular brands that stand out?

Senior Moderator
    Most retail fuels will have Castor/Synthetic blend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Baja...Because Size Matters!

Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

I hope Coota has some, otherwise it will be 4ltr from RC Hobbies.

R/C Apprentice
    I think rchobbies sell amain which is pretty good I've used it quite extensively. Not sure if they sell neo+ which is designed by the same guy, good also and what I'm using currently. They have both an onroad and offroad blend.