Australian RC Forums banner

Vital's Guide To Adelaide's BMX Tracks (2012)

[SA] 
88K views 132 replies 21 participants last post by  Vital-Blurs 
#1 · (Edited)
Vital's Guide To Adelaide's BMX & RC Tracks (2012-2013)

Ever since I bought a couple of 1/10 scale off-road cars I've struggled to find decent places to run them. Doing speed runs up and down the street is only fun for a few minutes and an open patch of flat dirt can get a bit dull after a while. What we're all looking for are tracks....tracks with jumps.

In this thread I plan to visit as many "public" BMX tracks (and a couple of RC tracks) around Adelaide as I can find. There are 38 different locations confirmed so far, it's time to start visiting each one. While I'm at it, I might aswell take a few photos and share my findings with any other RC off-roaders around Adelaide who stumble upon this thread.

I've replicated this guide as a regular website at vitalblursrc.weebly.com too.

Semaphore Park

West Beach

Broadview

Salisbury Downs

Para Vista

Salisbury Heights

Kurrangga Park

Salisbury North

Colonel Light Gardens

Mitchell Park (RC)

Elizabeth North

Golden Grove

Highbury

Hawthorndene

Littlehampton

Happy Valley (2)

Aberfoyle Park (2)

Morphett Vale (2)

Banksia Park

Gawler

St Mary's

Hallett Cove

Aldinga Beach (3)

Woodside (Post Office Rd)

Paralowie (Liberator Drv)

Andrews Farm (Davoren Rd)

Hackham (Gates Rd - Forsythe Reserve)

Reynella (Jessamine Ave)

Seaford (Grand Blvd)

Sellicks Beach (Wellington Ave)

Willunga (Railway Tce)

Woodcroft (Normandy Rd)

Vines Golf Club of Reynella (Pine St)

Thanks to little_drifter, Makavelian, froggy, sbr511, savage600 and truckzilla355 for their contributions.

Please remember that these are all public spaces and free for everyone to enjoy, but RC cars can be quite dangerous projectiles. So, while there are other people riding on the track it's probably best to give way to them. Let's face it, they're the ones in harms way and we're not. Unless you stand in the middle of the track with your transmitter :p

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
SEMAPHORE PARK

*Edit* This track was completely rebuilt in 2014 and is now an awesome place to bring a bmx or mountain bike. But RC cars aren't really welcome anymore unless you're prepared to remove all trace that you were there. A handful of people have worked really hard to build and maintain it, so just bring your bike :thumb:

#5 · (Edited)
WEST BEACH

On the corner of Military Road and Africaine Road.

Google Map

Suits anything up to 1/8 scale and noise won't be a problem (there's even toilets)

The area is fairly small but the jumps and berms are tightly packed. Visibility is ok. As an added bonus you'll be standing directly under a flightpath for the airport across the street.

The surface is pretty good. Not too many rocks.

Some small berms with small jumps. Good scale for RC.

And a complimentary video....

#6 · (Edited)
BROADVIEW

Broadview Oval (Myponga Tce)

Google Map

Suits anything up to 1/8 scale, but noise might be a problem with houses very close by.

A basic oval-ish shape with a decent berm and few jumps along one straight. It's usable as a full circuit due to it's small size.

That tree on the inside of the bend is like a magnet to RC cars.

The surface is quite loose at one end....

....and harder packed at the other.

#7 · (Edited)
SALISBURY DOWNS

On the corner of Kings Rd and Martins Rd (right next to the "Slug and Lettuce" Pub)

Google Map

Suits anything up to 1/5 scale. Noise shouldn't be a problem.

This is the best track so far. Quite large and mostly smooth.

Slight rain-damage all over the place. But it's not too bad for an unmaintained track.

The surface is a little bit sandy but still hard-packed.

One big jump and in the background on the right is a little kidney shaped mini-track.

Another average shot of the mini-track. The tree isn't too much of an issue for visibility if you stand at the other end.

#10 · (Edited)
PARA VISTA

Barina Avenue

Google Map

Suits anything up to 1/8 scale. Noise might be a problem with houses close by.

This track would be the worst one so far. A basic oval with some jumps along the straights.

The main problem is that all of the jumps are damaged in some way.

The berms are average.

This is just vandalism :mmph:

Oh well, whatever is next will have to be better than this one :D

#11 · (Edited)
SALISBURY HEIGHTS

Canterbury Drive

Google Map

Suits anything up to 1/5th and noise hasn't been a problem.

This is one of the best. It's a bit narrow in one or two places but visibility is good. You can actually do a whole circuit without losing sight of your car much at all.

The surface is good. Slightly loose dirt with only small rocks. There's a triple jump and two doubles that provide some smooth landings. Something the Salisbury Downs track lacked.

The berms are pretty decent. A little bumpy if you take a high line.

If you looked at the Google Map link you may have noticed there are actually 2 tracks here. Unfortunately the smaller one isn't as good but we can't complain :D

And a video for a better view....

#13 · (Edited)
I'm aware of that one but it's owned by a BMX club and RC cars are usually unwelcome on club tracks. This is why I haven't included tracks like Cross Keys, Tea Tree Gully and Gawler.

*After visiting Hallett Cove BMX track and speaking to some members I got the distinct impression that RC cars are not welcome. So I've removed it from the list.

#15 ·
i hate u guys, i dont have anything half that good near me

#18 · (Edited)
KURRANGGA PARK (CITY)

Unley Road. Between South Tce and Greenhill Road.

Google Map

Suits anything up to 1/5 scale and noise won't be a problem (toilets available too) but it's best to avoid this place on weekends as it's usually packed with kids and over-protective parents.

This one has plenty of room with nice wide straights and lots of table-top jumps, but we spent most of our time on the other sections.

Some decent berms and smaller jumps.

You can actually do a circuit using these back sections away from the main tabletops. Visibility is ok if you stand in the right spot.

We had to stop and remove sticks, twigs and general vegetation from our cars often. The shade during summer would be appreciated though.

And then there's this right next door. I'm not sure an RC car would go well over here. I didn't want to find out.

#19 ·
This place has changed over the years. I used to spend so much time at this BMX track in my early teen years. I did the biggest face plant you could imagine once over one of the jumps, I had a huge scab on my top lip and everyone called me hitler!

Yesterday I drove past a BMX track next to the Happy Valley reservoir, is that the one on your list? I didnt catch the name of the street it was on or near.

#23 · (Edited)
SALISBURY NORTH

Diruwa Avenue

Google Map

Suits anything up to 1/8 scale. But noise might be a problem with houses very close by.

Sandy hard-packed gravel surface. Very similar to the Salisbury Downs track but slightly worse rain-damage everywhere and visibility is a bit poor.

I guess this finishes off the northern half of Adelaide. Time to head south! :)

#26 ·
Aint gonna keep a 1/5th pinned on that track unless your homer (with kevs workshop).... Massive jumps there, suit a mega 1/8 lipo back flip machine like a glove....

#28 · (Edited)
COLONEL LIGHT GARDENS (Mortlock Park)

West Parkway

Google Map

Suits anything up to 1/8th scale but noise might be a problem with houses on the other side of the hedge.

Another basic oval with a berm at each end and jumps along both straights. It's quite narrow in places but visibility is great.

The surface is pretty decent. Mostly fine gravel.

But in the end, why would you bother to go here when the Mitchell Park track isn't too far away (see next track)

#29 · (Edited)
MITCHELL PARK (Updated)

Bradley Grove

Google Map

Since ARCR (Adelaide Radio Controlled Raceway) has gained control of this track, there have been several overhauls. The track has been smoothed out, a timing gate has been installed, new ag pipe all round, some strategicaly placed pieces of carpet to protect the new jumps and some new rules....

No bikes!
No nitro
No larger than 1/10 scale cars

A handful of the ARCR guys have put in a huge amount of work to get the track in the best state it's ever been. If you want to race 1/10 electrics on real dirt in Adelaide, this is THE place to do it. Meetings are held every fortnight on Saturdays with various classes being run (2WD & 4WD Buggies. 2WD & 4WD SCT's and 2WD Stadium Truck's)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.