Australian RC Forums banner

HID Xenon Torches

7K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  snap off racing 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I've got the led lenser mt7 It's a bit battery hungry but I love it!

#5 ·
Dunno about cost I got mine 2nd hand :) think I paid about $60ish retail over $100.00

#7 ·
i was in the same boat awhile ago as you are, mate and i wanted these monsters, i have 35w hid headlights in my car and we were like wow 75w but saw the 25w jaycar one and it was CRAP, go with LED dude, i got this LED torch from jaycar and its 200lumens, tiny, fits in your pocket for 30 bucks and its BRIGHT, i use iit for shooting because it has a pencil beam on it too

#9 ·
I have 3 other CREE LED torches. From 250 lumen to 1000 lumen. 2 are from hong kong ebay and are SUPER BRIGHT!

If you shine them in the sky its like a massive light sabre!

But I dont want LED this time, these HID torches are upto 7500 lumen! The battery life is only 1 hour but that is fine by me. I wouldnt have it on for more then 5 mins at a time.

#13 ·
Wow they are bright, now I want one. That vid didn't need to be 2 minutes long tho, and I wonder what the people in the buildings thought with a bright a55 light coming through the windows? Can you get some sort of conversion kit for a normal mag light?

#16 ·
I was waiting for him to hit the bloke on the bike with the beam. :lol:
I liked it but dont need a $150 torch that much, unless I am the friend you are giving it to for xmas : )
:rofl: Onya Pete. :D

#32 ·
I only keep my 6D maglite around in case of home invaders..and I wouldn't be using it as a torch.

#15 ·
I looked at one of these on Thursday, a sparky I know has one, you can feel the heat coming off the lense almost as soon as it turns on.

I liked it but dont need a $150 torch that much, unless I am the friend you are giving it to for xmas : )

#22 ·
Well I have just ordered two of the mothers. One for me and one for my mates x-mas present. Express postage so it should be here maybe by friday next week.

Ill post a sneaky pic or vid when it comes, but then it has to be wrapped and put under the x-mas tree!

Hopefully it dosnt get held at customs like the lasers! that would suck

#23 ·
My 2 torches came yesterday, That was 5 days from Hong Kong.

I must say I am very impressed. I was a little unsure as the same torches but made by name brands were about $700 upto like $3000.

I paid $150 each. One for me and one for my mate for xmas.

It came in a little carry case, one was a little damaged but the other was fine.

Open the box and they are safe and sound. The torch comes with an aussie charger, 7800mah battery, one yellow lense cover, shoulder strap and of course the monster torch.

I charged both batteries for 5 hours and plugged them in, it was convienently night time now! I took them out side and pointed them to the sky and..............WOW! On the highest setting after about 5 seconds when the bulb is warm it was SO BRIGHT!!

So then I went out to the front of the house and found a tree FAR AWAY and pointed the torch on high to it and it was illuminated like a xmas tree!

I am not sure to how measure the lumens but they claim 7800lm! I have a Cree LEF 1000lm torch and this is seriously WAY BRIGHTer so I would say it is accurate!

Ill try to get a pic and video tonight befor the missus wraps it and puts it under teh tree!!

#26 ·
I made my mate open his but he didnt want to until xmas day, I assured him it would be worth his while and so he did.

He was very impressed with the torch! So am I except I still have to wait till xmas.

Ill upload some pics soon!

#27 ·
Woo Hoo I finally got to open this baby!

All I can say is........ ITS FRIGGEN BRIGHT! WOW :)

Its nice and solid and came in a nice aluminium case.

I charged it over night last night, worked this morning but then when I went to use it again it wouldnt turn on, I put the multimeter on it and it read 0 volts, I put it on the charger for 5 mins pulled it off and it read 10.7 volts. Its meant to be 11v but it hasnt charged upto or over 11v yet.

I have tried it a few times today on and off and it worked 8 times out of 10, when it dosnt work I pop in on the charger for a few mins and it works again. The last time I charged it for 5 mins and it has been working ever since.

I am not sure if the battery needs to be charged through a few full cycles for the first so many charges to get it back to life or if there is a faulty battery.

The battery itself has 3 leds on it that you can use as a small torch, this is also an indicator that it is flat or not.

The last time I turned it on I left it on for about 10 mins, ever since it has been fine.

Weird, but any suggestions what it could be. Its clearly the battery.

Ill take a phot or a video tonight when it is dark to try and show just how bright it is!

For now Ill give it a 8/10, when it works its bloody awesome, when it dosnt its annoying, but a quick charge and its good.

Arm Muscle Microphone Finger Elbow

Rectangle Gas Tool Auto part Electric blue

#28 ·
Thought I would give an update. The torch has been working 100% since my last post. The battery turns on and off every time. So lets hope it stays that way. It must have just needed a few charge cycles.

#30 ·
Ha ha thats funny. They are awesome and very bright.

Did you get the same one as me? my battery seems pretty crap at times. It has 3 brightnesses, most of the time the brightest dosnt work.

Still, it is very very bright and nothing is as bright that I have ever seen!

#33 ·
Sounds like a small price to pay ($150) for a week of peace and quiet!

#35 ·
Almost makes me wish I havd a costco up here, my standard bulb maglite is pretty ordinary in comparison to the led versions of the maglites. $25 is a great price for a small and a large maglite.

#36 · (Edited)
Does anyone have one??

I want to get my mate one for x-mas and the more I look at them i would like to get one.

This is what I am thinking about

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160634891135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

What are your thoughts??

I have a few Cree cheap hid headlight kits and they are BRIGHT but the specs on these kind of torches are way higher.
These torches are nice and effective.. I gifted one to my father on fathers day and he says it is quite useful thing to have..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.