That is a great idea
    I will have to try it on a few of my nitro's
    you cant get enough RC

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz972 View Post
    Ok sorry for rehashing an old thread, but I tried this tonight on my old trx 2.5. I ordered an new piston and sleeve for it so I thought what the heck ill give it a go, anyway went down to the local automotive store to buy a hose clamp. They didnt have any the right size. So I started looking around the shop for something else I could use, I was looking at the battery clamps and asked the shop assitant if he had a set of verniers. Measured the sleeve 17.98mm, found a brass clamp that was 18.03mm. And the good thing was it was machined with a taper. So the long of the short is the battery clamp is a lot sturdier than a hose clamp and its machined with a taper which seemed to suit the sleeve perfectly. $5.80 for the clamp slipped the sleeve tightened it so the piston had some pinch, shoved it on the stove in a pot for 3 mins quenched it, perfect! Motor has a stack of compression. Reset the carb back to factory and it started straight up. Ill run it in tomorrow and see how it goes

Daz
    What did you use to quench the sleeve?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Baja...Because Size Matters!

Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

Don't know if Ide bother quenching it, just let it cool naturally. Quenching it may cause the chrome to come away from the inside of the sleeve being two different metals that react at different temps.
    Come to Lake Centenary in Temora to run your RC boat. Free BBQ's, power points, great amenities with hot showers, a childs sandpit/play area and lots of shade sails around the lake edge. It's 2km out of town, fresh water and gas boats are welcome.

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by towie964 View Post
    What did you use to quench the sleeve?

Just in room temp water. I've now run 4 tanks though it and it is still running well. compression(pinch) is still good

Daz
    Ofna Monster Pirate Sport hyper 21 8p
    Traxxas Sportmaxx 2.5 2 speed conversion.
    Traxxas T Maxx 3.3
    HPI Savage X 5.9

R/C Newbie
    The quick cooling process of quenching makes the metal contract. letting it cool naturally may give you a result but I cant see it happening. I am a boilermaker and often we would heat metal up and then quench it to make it contract. I've also used the process on dents in car body's heat the dent up and then quickly quench it with cold water. the metal would contract and pop the dent out.

Daz
    Ofna Monster Pirate Sport hyper 21 8p
    Traxxas Sportmaxx 2.5 2 speed conversion.
    Traxxas T Maxx 3.3
    HPI Savage X 5.9

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the info Daz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Baja...Because Size Matters!

Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

R/C Newbie
    so i have a HPI nitro star t-15fe engine and i needs re-pinching bad so just wondering what temperature wound you recommend for the DIY?

R/C Newbie

is really necessary to use the heat

shouldn't leaving the clamp tightened up on sleeve for like 10-20 min do the same thing ?

R/C Newbie

Works or not?

Thank you for this wonderful post. I did try the procedure on my OS 0.46 and a TT 0.46 (both were almost end of life).

The piston seems to have a better fit, cannot be pushed back further by hand anymore. The compression certainly 'feels' better. I can tell because the fuel pull in the line is much much consistent than earlier and swinging the prop by hand gives a tighter feel. BUT, there are two significant problems

1. the engines do not want to start. They only start when they are cold, once they get a little warm, after a few failed starts, both the engines totally refuse to start.

2. When they start (best case), they do not hold for long (even with the glow booster on), like 5-6 seconds maximum.

Am i missing something? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

gs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234