Australian RC Forums banner

Hydraulic Front Brakes for Baja 1/5 Scale

15K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  truckzilla355 
#1 · (Edited)
I was cruising fleabay, as you do when you are bored and everyone has gone to bed, and I came across a set of Hydraulic brakes for the Baja. I had seen many other sets about and the price had always been a bit off putting.

Not a lot of reviews by anyone I knew or had heard of, and after having mechanical brakes on my 5B ss and having them work like a charm, really hadn't needed to get anything better.

Long story short, I found a complete set up by a No-Name Chinese company for less then $100 delivered, and the dollar was good, so I thought why not?

I had ordered the brake kit back in early July, but after having a heart attack a little later that month, I forgot about them arriving. I get out of hospital to find a heap of treats I had spoilt myself with, all waiting for me on my return.
I really wasn't up to fitting the brakes at that time, so I threw them in the tool box.

About a fortnight ago, I fitted them up to the 5SC, Caliper went on easily, although I installed them with the pipes to the top, rather than they way they were oriented in the diagram.
The lines coming in were to the bottom and I wanted them away from possible snags.

The lines were quite stiff and the fittings are all push together style that lock into place and seal really well.

The master cylinder is a simple fit up, just mark a hole 7mm in and 7mm forward of the right hand engine mount and drill a 5.2mm hole, one bolt from underneath and it is done, so I thought.

Bleeding...what a nightmare.
The system needs to be bled at the master cylinder, calipers and the lines all seperately, there is no easy way.

First remove the 2 screws on the top of the master and bleed a little fluid through it and replace one of the screws, then with the plunger out to its maximum throw, you need to force the fluid through the system with a syringe, the bleeders at the calipers need to be removed and and once filled completely the system needs to be sealed and gravity bled overnight.

The instructions fail to mention this and it took me a while to work out how to get it right.

Add to that the system leaked like a second hand fridge, the o-rings in the master were ripped and chunked as if they were too hard and had been broken while being assembled.

I used a set of 6.5mm o-rings to replace them and then discovered the hole is only about 6.3mm so as I inserted the o-rings a small sliver of material shaved off each of them, but they sealed up and no more leaks.

All up I would say the system is a nightmare, well designed but poorly assembled and the instructions are next to useless, but for under $100 Aussie dollars what can you expect.

They work, not as well as the mechanical brakes but they do slow the 5SC down, unlike the stock brake that does bugger all.

I will be fitting a stronger servo this week to see if that makes any difference, but not all that hopeful, I think I will be getting another set of Mechanicals for the 5SC

See less See more
#2 ·
I sign these n they look very similar to my set. Can't think if brand off top if my head but the set ddm sell that are very exxy lol.

Mine work a charm. I using a 30kg servo n I can lick the wheels on dirt.its stops with in 2 ish meters on the road from full noise.

I had to bleed em about 5 times before they became really good. N noticed there are alot of bubbles again in the lines last night. Haven't had it out for a few months though lol.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I saw a set of Integy branded ones and they also look very similar, I am guessing that the manufacturer makes these for several companies and they are just rebadged.

Mine would be lucky to stop completely in 20 meters from full noise, my mechanicals stop in an instant when applied hard.

I have an ACE DS-1015 on the mechanicals but only an SF-20 on the hydros, that will be changing this week.

#4 ·
they look the goods, it will be good to see if you are able to get them working as good if not better than the mechanicals.

is this on your track baja? I'm not sure how many baja's at our track have either mechanical or hydraulic brakes.

#5 ·
These brakes arnt too bad. They may not stop on a dime but they do pull you up quicker then the standard brakes.
I got a set a few months back, funny thing is when I posted about them I got chewed out for waisting my time and money on cheap stuff.

I found air leaked into the lines slowly around the push in fittings, this was fixed by dribbling plumbers pipe cement around the joins.
My master had busted o'rings from factory. It also had not been drilled from the resoviour to the piston chamber (there drill stoped about 1mm short) fixed by re-dilling the hole.
The little plastic elbows break fair easy, Replacements can be bought from BL-shipways, about $3 each. so can the line.

What are you running for fluid?

Cheers

#6 ·
I am running hydraulic oil rather than brake fluid, it is not corrosive so safe to use.

As for wasting your money....it is your money, dont listen to the knockers, it will drive you crazy.
I am often bringing in cheaper alternatives and testing them, always on my own gear, and if it doesnt work, I try to find an answer.

#7 ·
I found Extra Virgin Olive Oil good to run and its less than 10 bucks a litre.
Yeh dont mind cheaper things, sometimes they just need a little effort to get them to work right. Not that the most expensive things do what they say they can all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.