Australian RC Forums banner

Adelaide Offroad Racing

81K views 1K replies 47 participants last post by  mkfyzee 
#1 ·
just curious: how many ppl would race their truck/buggy or become a member if an offroad raceway opened up within 30min of adelaide that was fenced offand required a key (membership) to access?? possibly one with some sorta 4x4 obstacle/offroad course aswell maybe?

Edited by: Oblivion

#2 ·
Oblivion said:
just curious: how many ppl would race their truck/buggy or become a member if an offroad raceway opened up within 30min of adelaide that was fenced offand required a key (membership) to access?? possibly one with some sorta 4x4 obstacle/offroad course aswell maybe?

I would, but subject to costing & type of track.....just big jumps don't intrest me I perfer a track to do laps as well as a run around area ( a few jump to mess with)

#4 ·
30 mins in which direction? That could be an hour for people on the wrong end of Adelaide.

Would I be interested? Yes but depends on so many things. Formal racing doesn't really interest me because then I have to be there at a certain time, and we would all need similar vehicles. Bashing would be good, especially if we can change the track every so often to keep it fresh. Do you have a place in mind?

#5 ·
Since alot of info on tracks has been discussed here I'm going to use this post to compile a list of all the tracks we know about. Once it is complete I will edit the first post of this thread to include it or ask Modsto make it a sticky or something. No reveiws here just a list and the address. PM me for additions or corrections.

Salisbury Heights, Canterbury Drv Salisbury Heights

Salisbury,Corner of Kings Rd and Martins Rd Salisbury

Salisbury North, Diment Rd Salisbury North

St Agnes,Smart Rd St Agnes (Fenced off but check the side gate!)

West Lakes, Grand Junction Rd West Lakes.

Wynn Vale, ? St, Wynn Vale oval

Elliston Reserve, Corner of Awonga Rd and Lower North East Rd Highbury

Adelaide, Pultney St in the parklands

Paradise, Darley Rd, opposite the bus interchange

Regency Park, Cowan Ave

Para Vista, Corner Nelson Rd andBarina Rd Para Vista

Aberfoyle Park, Taylors Rd West Aberfoyle Pk, Happy Valley Sports Park

Happy Valley, Candy's Rd?

Salisbury North, Decimal Rd, It's an oval track for pushbikes

Morphett Vale, Wheatshiff Rd Morphett Vale, Shephards Hill Recreation Park(actual RC track)

Morphett Vale, States Rd, behind basketball court

Hallet Cove,Lonsdale Freeway? Hallet Cove

Broadview, Myponga Tce, Whittle Reserve

Woodside, ? St

Salisbury, Bremen Drv Salisbury (I think this one is fully fenced off and we cant get in so bring ya boltcutters!)

Should take a while to tour all of them!
Edited by: mike

#6 ·
I would be in. I enjoy the bashing, but some formal racing would be fun as well, and a proper track would be good.

I think something that would be suitable for 1/8 scale would be a lot better. The track at Wheatsheaf road is a little too small for serious 1/8, and is a lot mroe fun with 1/10

I know the track at Port Gawler that was being built/organised by Complete Model & Hobbies has ceased, but i have heard that there is someone building a track around wingfield somewhere.

#7 ·
with it taking 45min to get from the hills to the beach and well over an hours distance between eliz/ smithfield + reynella / noarlunga etc it will always be impossible to have a track within 30minutes of everyone.

however i have a few places in mind where we could most likely rent/lease councilland thats within 30min of adelaide which is about the best your gunna get unless hell freezes over and adel. city council let us build a track in the middle of victoria park racecourse next to the V8 start finish line

When i was treasurer of ALPA (Adelaide LAN Party Assoc) we used to travel 40min to get there. when we outgrew that hall and found a better one the other ppl bitched bout having to travel25mins to get there (you will never ever please everyone with location)

[/ martin luthur king voice on] I have a dream, a dream that one day we will have an offroad raceway in Adelaide [M.L. king voice off]

ok, all jokes asideWhat iz' thinking is i'dbemore than willing to help find aspot by contactingcouncils, help build the track etc. but i dont have finances to get the full transponder system n stuff which is a huge hurdleunless we can get another club onboard

i dont wanna make money off the newly madeclub, i just want somewhere to race & have fun so maybe we can race under another clubs name, let them take the revenue in return for using their transponder stuff - an offroad club like mitchell park would probably even move in if it meant getting their own fenced off raceway, or even Model Radio Car Club of Adelaide (the parks onroad raceway club) since their club is slowly meeting its demise it would also support them with the extra revenue.. (itd be even sweeter if we can get a chunk of the vacant landnext toMRCCA and the greyhound track)

as for the track, thats the easiest part.. land redevelopers are always looking to unload free dump trucks full o dirt, and im sure pool companies would do the same if we gave then naming rights to a corner or something..

ideally it would be atrack likeJohnny Cool Guys Raceway

JCG raceway

or Fisk Hobby Farm

Fisk Hobby Farm

and if space permitted, you could get the dump trucks to pile dirt mounts next to each other and with very little shovel work, make it into some sorta 4x4 "trials" zone with some other obstacles so you can accomodate rock crawlers and other "non racing" competitions also.Edited by: Oblivion

#8 ·
sounds really good man. i would be in to help out with all the stuff when ever i could.

#9 ·
I spose the biggest cost of the transponder stuff would be the transponders themselves???

Surely there are plans on the 'net for the sensor/timing/monitoring side of it all, just a matter of finding them all.

Im not really fussed as to where the track is located. As long as there is a track, and basic facilities (toilets, drinking water, shade/shelter), and regular meets, then i would be happy.

#10 ·
That last track looks the biz, and yeah some extra mounds to play on would be the go. We just need a place and it ideally needs to be fenced off for obvious reasons. Money for a transponder would probably be easier to gather after there's a track built. I don't think we should have to pay a council for space, there's always bits of useless land around the place we could use. I won't ask Salisbury council I don't think they like me right now!

#11 ·
from what ive seen them using at the parks raceway, they have

the charging rack for the transponders (holds like 20 of em) with 10 red, and 10 green transponders. but then they have whatever it is they lay neay the start/finish line (i think its laid under the bitumen maybe?) and in the lap scorers box they had some crusty old pc with a monochrome monitor and some software which looked like it was dos style windows.. i asked why they dont upgrade, they said the software dont run on newer, faster systems (im sure theirs was a 386 or 486 which u can get free anywhere)

for a while you could go without transponders and all the flashy stuff, just have "fun but competitive" racing until the club grew..

dunny would be either

1. <LI>an empty fuel bottle</LI>
    <LI>the nearest tree</LI>
    <LI>a long drop dunny (since its only a tin shed with a seat + 10 foot hole)</LI>

Places i had in mind, well ya got lots of land in the wingfield area, but i think our best chance would be with all the crap land just past taperoo, before pelican point. its only 5minutes from port adelaide, and im sure we could get acess to a block possibly around near the sub corp.

my old racing club "Adelaide Dirt Kart Raceway" (next to the old kartmania bolivar) were forced to move, they actually moved INTO and took over a section of speedway parks carpark. Of course im sure that will costa few $$thou every year tho..

next to the parks raceway, regency park (behind thedish-lickers track) is a whole stack of unused land around their perimeter. if only we were allowed to have a section near the other RC club, that would be really cool (have onroad + offroad next door to each other)

any other locale's?

#13 ·
yeah thats acually a really good spotif we can get in around there.. (prolly the best spot actually)

maybe were best off just trying to get some land and build a track, without any real quality facilities till it gets up and running. The parks raceway got an ex-basket ball court and started out with a 6x4 trailer as a drivers stand so im told, and its sure come a long way since them days

but how manyof ya'swould actually be willing to bust their chops building a track for free, with yer own shovels, wheelbarrows, trailers etc (whatever we need)

even more important, is anyone willing to help me in looking for a location? once we get that sorted, the track is the easy part.Edited by: Oblivion

#14 ·
I'll help however I can. My bro's a bobcat dude so maybe able to get him to help cheaper than anyother bobcat dudes. Got a matewith a dingo digger cousin should cost $0. We need to identify spots then write to the councils and maybe approach the Penfield club.

#15 ·
Count me in to help build... And im sure my eldest lad would also love to help.

I will go and have a look at the Penfield track. I do recall there is quite a bit of vacant land between the new 1/5 scale track and commercial road, but what the plans are for it, who knows...

Software wise...
Just googling around, i came across this site: http://www.rctiming.com/ They're software is freee, and works with AMBrc which seems to be a very popular timing system.

I'm still searching to see if there are any plans/schematics available on the net to build your own... LOL

#17 ·
The map here http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/joanlynn/map.htmshow the layout of the area. Doesn't look like there is much room in the current layout for another car track.

They certainly need to look at improving their web site. Talk about hard to read the link on the main page... YUCK!!!

#19 ·
mike said:

I used to belong to the WRE motorcycle club & that clubroom looks like the one.

There used to be a 1/10 electric buggy track where the new road went through, pity cause it wasn't too bad....coated in oil or something to keep the dust down.

Last time I saw the track was around 1996, bit tight for 1/8 but may have been ok....Pity it's gone

#21 ·
man, looking thru their website and seeing the old steam trains brings back memories of being a kid and having my dad plonk me on a carraige for a lap, and i swear the traintrack was at least 500m - 1km back then.. then i used to take my tamiya hornet to their offroad club for some fun..

anyways getting in around them other clubs would be good for us, i think grouping RC clubs is definately the way to go to ensure their survival.

ill make some enquiries and see what strings we can pull to get our own chunk o turf
Edited by: Oblivion

#22 ·
The West lakes track was knocked on the head by the council due to lack of toilets,,, so a long drop wont do

What size area are we talking here?

Ammenities needed are basically toilets and power...

Stay away from areas near housing. Any piece of land down the lefevre way is crown land or council land. May be very hard to aquire, due to lack of tiolets and power.

I definately think the simplest way is to hook uip with another club, but dont limit it to RC, what about a Motocross track?

Oh i hate to be a downer,,,but theother thing ifwe're going to become an official club we need a constitution, bank account, committee all that crap. all very doable but requires money to lodge forms. The worst thing may be insurance. If some kid got hit in the headby a Savage doing 40mph, it could be ugly...

this all sounds very negative, but i will help out where i can, i have a wheel barrow and shovel, and can drive a bobcat. just need permission from the land holder to be there........

#23 ·
thats easy then for ensurance, we limit the age of people to say like
13+ and say they arent allowed to be a marshal. we would only need
simple power to run a laptop and transponder system, or even u can sit
there jaf and count how many times each vehical has been past. lol.
like obliv said a long drop aint hard to put in. i could prolly get
help with stufff as my dad is in the buliding industry.

#24 ·
jaf_SA said:
What size area are we talking here?

Ammenities needed are basically toilets and power...

Stay away from areas near housing. Any piece of land down the lefevre way is crown land or council land. May be very hard to aquire, due to lack of tiolets and power.

I definately think the simplest way is to hook uip with another club, but dont limit it to RC, what about a Motocross track?

Oh i hate to be a downer,,,but theother thing ifwe're going to become an official club we need a constitution, bank account, committee all that crap. all very doable but requires money to lodge forms. The worst thing may be insurance. If some kid got hit in the headby a Savage doing 40mph, it could be ugly...

this all sounds very negative, but i will help out where i can, i have a wheel barrow and shovel, and can drive a bobcat. just need permission from the land holder to be there........

yeah when i was in ALPA we had to make a constitution (yawn) and all that, and i was the one (as treasurer) who got a bank account setup and actually got the club account from $0 to almost $2k within a year, used to pick up drinks, organised us to get pies/pasties/donuts etc direct from the maker (alaskan fine foods, they make all cowleys/prices bakery pies n stuff)

we went from renting a scout hall, to finding a council run hall. we got the one on grange road (welland?) booked permanently every month for half their regular fee (the council was real great helping us)..

for RC wereally dont need much to start off with so thats even easier on their part. just point us to some spareland is all we need.

as for insurance john, theyre not gunna do it cheaper if you only have old guys on the raceway.any person can/will sue, regardless of age.. also "Banning" the younger guys from teh track discriminates against them due to age, and gets em pissed off and most likely wont come back- and we will need all the members we can..

#25 ·
mmm, that public liability insurance and stuff is a b****, and doesn't come cheap.

On the constitutional/rules side of things, and probably extremely
immature, but this page lists all the rules etc as set out by ORRCA
http://www.rccar.com.au/Orrca Aust rules.htm (it won't hyperlink,
probably cause of the spaces)

Of particular interest is 16.2 which states

"National titles events must use an AMB 20 transponder system
with minimum ALyCAT software or equivalent system."

As i said, extremely premature, but something to think about.

The other strange thing, is that the AMB20 system is old
technology. Why not use the AMBit system, which is newer, and
supports 1000's of transponders, and also personal transponders.

Some more thinking stuff. LOL

</font></font>

#26 ·
i was only posting what i did mainly for the council to take us seriousng to give land to some bunch of yobbos with some expensive toys. they want thier asses covered when it comes to injury claims. If your happy to do a long drop im out,,, thats extremely lame. I think you will loose more people that way than having an age barrier.... and forget hiring porta loos,,, they are in excess of $200 a day depending... what we need is a friendly company with a spare paddock,,

I just thought of something.. the port adelaide aviation museum is mocving to a new location... is where tyhe old C cabin rail yard used to be behind the wool stores on the rosewater side. it hasnt gone up yet but is a HUGE park would only take some public toilets to make it workable

as for power, there are extremely cheap genb set out there now,,, for what we would be pulling i think they may suffice,, dunno,, what sort of power would we pull?

If you want to do the contitutional thing, i can help there,,, member of 9 clubs and rewritten a couple of constitiutions they are easy enough, just full of drible mainly...

heres me all keen and my RC dont GO!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.