Gasser heli

Thread: Gasser heli

R/C Newbie

Gasser heli

Hi thanks for all the great info.
    I am looking at getting a Heli. total beginner, well u had a plank many years ago.
    I do not live near any good supply joints so i was thinking a gasser would be the "bees knees". for me.
    Yea I know they cost a lot more but in the long run would be cheaper.
    Or as a Noob would elect be the way to go first? I want a 600 heli. no issues with noise or neighbours or any thing like that. Nearest house is almost 2 klicks away
    Ok so here is another question.
    maybe best to put questions in order for ease of reading
    1. Would elect be better to start with than gasser?
    2. Can I get a heli and convert from elec to gasser?
    3. if I get into this I want to get good gear. radio? DX9? I think it is?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator little_drifter's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum.

Can you tune a motor?

If not get electric. Plus I read your other post abuot how to get fuel, if you had electric you would have to wait to get fuel. Just charge and go.

So.....
    1. I would say get electric, dont dismiss the 500 size helis, like the Trex 500.
    2. Not sure but I would think it is possible but I personally wouldnt bother.
    3. If you plan to get a couple of helis and a few planks get a good radio, lots of memory is great. I have a DSX9 and it has 50 model memory.

There are a few good thread on here in the heli section, I have recently built a trex 500 and a Hobby King 600.

You could look at the hobbyking 600 heli kit, it was $130 from Sydney warehouse, youll have to build it up yourself but that is half the fun.

Look at a website called wattsuprc, rcbits.com.au, zeejayhobbies and model flight, there are some geood helis around these days.

Last edited by little_drifter; 15-09-2011 at 09:34 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AIR:
    DJI Phantom - Spektrum DX9 Mode 2, Hobbyking Bixler v1.1

Mine's smaller than yours AUSRC's Avatar
    I will wait for Peter to chime in, because he has 3 Gassers, and he loves them.

He flys, and I would highly recommend, the Miniature Aircraft Spectra G. It is an awesome machine, and runs either the 231 or 260 Zenoah motor.

They are not cheap however (no 90 sized machine is) and it would run you to about $3000-$3500 to buy new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Land:
    Losi 5ive-T | DX3S and a PICO SWITCH!!
    Traxxas MERV (x2) | Small but powerful... like my imagination

Air:
    Trex 500 BeastX FBL, Trex 500, Blade mCP X, JR 9x with XPS 2.4ghz | When my heli grows up it wants to be an MA SpectraG

Free Plug:
    Need a Cabinet Maker? |

5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

I'd suggest you learn to fly with a 500 size machine , then go to a gasser ... BTW, gasser = petrol powered , most liquid fueled helis run a nitro/methanol mix

As said above , they aren't cheap , and the inevitable unintended impact with the planet ( which WILL happen ) can be offputting with a large , heavy heli ...

There used to be a club at Armidale ; I flew there ages ago ; probably worth looking into..
    Last edited by Peter; 16-09-2011 at 12:24 AM.
    QLD's Gold Coast.

MA Spectra G's ;Stratus's ; Extreme, E Razor , N Razor, Fury 55 ;Furion 6; Electric , Nitro & Gasser Whiplash's; ,Aeolus 50 3D ; TSA 600N ; TSA 700N; BeastX FBL electronics... XPS 2.4 GhZ radio........ lots of ignored planks

Hey PSEPete, I assume you are referring to a gasser as in a nitro heli and not as in a two stroke machine
    Cheers - Jeff.
    Baja 5BSS, buggys/truggys nitro rules! A couple of b/less drifters and nitro/bless helis and planes.
    Spektrum/JR and Futaba radios + empty wallet lol...

R/C Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Hey PSEPete, I assume you are referring to a gasser as in a nitro heli and not as in a two stroke machine
    Wobbly you should never ASSUME it will only make an ASS out of U and ME
    Seriously though I would like a gasser ( petrol) engine as Unleaded is cheaper and easier to come by than nitro.
    I think I will get a 550 elec to learn with first though. I would love to get into FPV.
    thanks for the Tips and info.
    Though getting a kit will be longer as the car sucked the funds for a few weeks.

Yep trex 550 is not a bad start or as Peter said the trex 500 is also a great size to learn on. resist the temptation of anything smaller than a 500. For gasser you can go with the MA stuff or look at buying a trex 700 and doing the gasser conversion to that. The dsx9 is a great radio, I have been using one for years and has served me well.
    spectra g, compass atom 5.5, trex250se, "reserved"
    Lots of planks!!!!

R/C Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by pete05 View Post
    Yep trex 550 is not a bad start or as Peter said the trex 500 is also a great size to learn on. resist the temptation of anything smaller than a 500. For gasser you can go with the MA stuff or look at buying a trex 700 and doing the gasser conversion to that. The dsx9 is a great radio, I have been using one for years and has served me well.
    Thanks. I have no trouble resting smaller helis. the trouble is resisting bigger ones LOL.
    I thought about getting one to convert but thought if one dies I could still fly the other one.
    I prefer the realistic look not the 3D aspect.