New Australian Distrubutors - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 109
  1. #81
    R/C God BIG-block's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,942
    Rep Power
    14
    Why lock it? Its a discussion. No rules have been broken and if you don't feel like reading it there is the rest of the forum. Right?
    BASH-BREAK-FIX-REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements
     

  3. #82
    AUSRC Legend anf0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia - NSW
    Posts
    5,490
    Rep Power
    18
    I agree.

    Cheers
    - RETIRED -

  4. #83
    AUSRC Legend anf0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia - NSW
    Posts
    5,490
    Rep Power
    18
    And I think the comments have EVERYTHING to do with this situation.

    Cheers
    - RETIRED -

  5. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements
     

  6. #84
    R/C Apprentice Aussie Nerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bundaberg
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    9
    Stuffed if I'm wasting my money on greedy distributors/stores in the vain hope that in two years time prices might be marginally lower. As for your argument you can get most of it within Australia borders, perhaps if all you buy is low grade hitec servos, specktrum radios, venom battery's and losi or traxxas rubbish. I'm lucky if my LHS even has a 1" aluminum servo horn in stock! About the only place I would find this for a reasonable price in Australia would be ebay, and all I'd be doing is supporting the guy who bought 10 from hong kong and is selling them again for $5 more. You get outside of planes/heli's and the RTR style stuff and you have almost no hope of parts availability. A friend walked into the LHS here and asked for a packet of Revo rod ends. He got looked and blankly and asked what are they. That is perhaps the single most purchased part to do with rc crawling.


    Kieren
    Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 05-09-2011 at 09:27 PM.
    What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis? Screwed...

  7. #85
    R/C Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kenmore, Brisbane
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    10
    I can't see the distributors lowering prices if they had more customers from people buying within Australia as Anfo says to do.
    If people are buying what they're selling at the current prices instead of going for the cheaper option then why change it? This would be their though process:

    Guy 1 "Hey we've got a heap more people buying our stuff in Australia finally, so we're making heaps more money"
    Guy 2 "maybe we should drop our prices to match the USA then?"
    Guy 1 "um why? They're already buying from us and we're making heaps more money"

    As for customer service, some stores are worth it.
    At my work I do as much as I can for EVERY customer.
    If they bring in the car to get a basic part fitted (lord of kid/parent customers) I'll also do stuff like:
    Neaten up the wiring.
    Clean and Re oil the air filter if needed.
    Clean the whole car.
    Check suspension and let customers know if a rebuild is in order.
    Check the tune and adjust if necessary.
    Replace any worn screwed that I come across.

    And I normally just charge for the part they came in for, sometimes they ask me to do a rebuild or fix something else when I let them know the car/buggy needs it.

    If possible I'll even show the kid how to fix it himself so he can do it next time.

    Customers come back and never complain.

  8. #86
    R/C God RatsacK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bundaberg, QLD
    Posts
    2,711
    Rep Power
    13
    I agree with Ben. Not really much more to this thread.
    Hobao Hyper 8SC
    Axial SCX10
    LRP S10 Drifter
    Spektrum DX3C

  9. #87
    R/C God RoBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gin Gin QLD
    Posts
    1,874
    Rep Power
    12
    could be a blessing in disguise, means aussie shops could get more competitive to each other, and whats to stop a-main doing a hobbyking and opening a shop in australia (since he's australian he bloody better do it )

    who here shops around for the cheapest price, ie looks on ebay ( sorts cheapest first) does a dummy order to tower, amain ect its normal to wanna get things cheaper, we've all earned our money, and the more u save the more u can buy

    till then, i will buy from overseas or where ever is cheaper
    Associated Rival / Associated SC8.2E / Traxxas E-Maxx / Traxxas E-Revo / Thunder Tiger Mt4 G3 / Thunder Tiger ST4 G3 / HPI Savage Flux / Hpi Savage Xs / Traxxas Rustler VXL / Tamiya Gold TA05 VDF Drifter / Axial Exo Terra Buggy

    Futaba 3PM - X (X2)

  10. #88
    R/C God RogerDaShrubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,823
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by BenV.2 View Post
    Guy 1 "Hey we've got a heap more people buying our stuff in Australia finally, so we're making heaps more money"
    Guy 2 "maybe we should drop our prices to match the USA then?"
    Guy 1 "um why? They're already buying from us and we're making heaps more money"
    THIS.

    There is only one way to lower prices and that is competition, when you have only one supplier in a market, it does not matter what the demand is, he can set whatever price he thinks he can screw the market for. Have 2 suppliers who are selling the same product and watch the deals come in, not only will they try and out sell each other, but they will also compete for better deals with manufacturers so they can sell more for less with a better profit margin then the other guy.

    One only needs to look at what it happening to book retailers in this country to see the truth of this. Book retailers are not going under because people no longer buy books, it is because there is no competition in the supply side in Australia to drive prices down. Thus consumers have voted with their wallets and buy their books from Amazon or from the UK because there is strong competition in supply which has made their books much cheaper.

    So until the protectionist laws that are the cause of this mess are changed so that Aussie retailers can compete on an even playing field with the rest of the world, my money will go to whomever can offer me the best deal and the LSH will be used when i want something now, or advice and support or when they can offer a comparable deal.

  11. #89
    R/C Novice vfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Newcastle NSW
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
    Why lock it? Its a discussion. No rules have been broken and if you don't feel like reading it there is the rest of the forum. Right?
    I dunno thought it was getting a little personal - maybe you guys know each other. Besides I think we are only rehashing the same points.

    I've already read the rest of the forum
    HPI Savage X: LRP .28, Hitec servos, Ofna thr mod, Fstln shock towers, Proline Big Joes, 3 Speed Tranny, 19T clutch / 52T metal spur, HD Dogs, steering bearings, HPI Tuned pipe, roll bars, RPM center plate
    HPI FirestormE: Novak Havoc Spec Brushless System 10.5T/4200kV, Futaba R603FF

  12. #90
    Senior Moderator
    zoomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia - VIC
    Posts
    6,575
    Rep Power
    10
    to compound the matter... ok the AUD has been crazy high against the USD but even the
    distributors who buy in USD, don't hear of them dropping their wholesale prices overnight


    imho no chance prices go south unless there's some cutthroat suicidal mob with cash to burn by
    setting up retail stores right next to existing LHSes and selling at a major loss (& we're talking NPAT nor EBITs).
    They'd also want to greyimport direct from factory, wouldn't be buying from existing distributors.

    you won't get that in USA even with their 10X population size, there's just not enough to meet critical mass


    Anyhow... who ever said "LHS" would be the most efficient method of distribution anyways?

    For something niche like RC, its probably better to get supplied direct from manufacturer
    and escape the distribution inefficiencies eg from middlemen profits to stock shrinkage.
    These are high value goods and easily transportable by mail.


    hey i visited the new & 1st Masters bigboxstore this week
    http://www.melbrc.org/vB/showthread.php?p=52926

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  13. #91
    R/C God BIG-block's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,942
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by vfast View Post
    I dunno thought it was getting a little personal - maybe you guys know each other. Besides I think we are only rehashing the same points.

    I've already read the rest of the forum
    Nah mate. While Anfo and I don't know each other personally we have bumped heads in many threads before. Nothing out of the ordinary. As long as there isn't harsh name calling or threats thrown around then no need for concern. Plenty of heated discussions go on around here and people will always have different opinions which sometimes they are very passionate about .

    Quote Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
    hey i visited the new & 1st Masters bigboxstore this week
    http://www.melbrc.org/vB/showthread.php?p=52926
    Holly cow Willy. That Masters store looks kickass. Where is it? I have to say that it even has a nicer look to it than Bunnings and seems to have a lot more quality stuff too. Sucks about Maccas though. I would much rather have a couple of snags with onion, cheese and sauce. Mmmmmmmmm..........
    BASH-BREAK-FIX-REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

  14. #92
    R/C God Sandman77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,957
    Rep Power
    13
    Also how are the prices of 'Masters' compared to bunnings?
    Challenge Accepted

  15. #93
    AUSRC Legend anf0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia - NSW
    Posts
    5,490
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
    to compound the matter... ok the AUD has been crazy high against the USD but even the
    distributors who buy in USD, don't hear of them dropping their wholesale prices overnight
    That's because the guys that sell to our distributors are being charged more for the goods and manufacturing. The USD has severely depreciated, therefore all goods dealt in USD have gone up. When you have AUD strength on the back of USD weakness, you hardly get any change in price on Australian shores. When you have INDEPENDANT AUD strength, then you'd get cheaper prices here.

    To give you an idea... The US Dollar Index which measures the dollar against a basket of other major currencies used to trade at about 120. Just before the GFC, it was trading at 85ish. Today you're looking at 76. It's likely it will fall further.

    Cheers
    - RETIRED -

  16. #94
    R/C God BIG-block's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,942
    Rep Power
    14
    So are you saying that because of the weak US dollar that things cost us here more too? Why is it that in US one can buy a Savage Flux for US$559 and here they are AU$850. You would thin they would have to be close since the Aussie importers would be getting the product at similar prices as the US based distributors.
    BASH-BREAK-FIX-REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

  17. #95
    Senior Moderator
    towie964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisvegas AYE!!
    Posts
    9,488
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
    So are you saying that because of the weak US dollar that things cost us here more too? Why is it that in US one can buy a Savage Flux for US$559 and here they are AU$850. You would thin they would have to be close since the Aussie importers would be getting the product at similar prices as the US based distributors.
    Not necessarily, a lot of stock comes into Australia via Europe and Asia, not the US, Hpi for an example, Australian stock is Europe based and therefore not purchased in US dollars.




    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    Baja...Because Size Matters!

    Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

  18. #96
    R/C Apprentice tdunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    10
    Prices are the least of my concerns with Australian distributors.

    A total lack of customer service and their reluctance to carry a decent supply of spare parts is my main issue.

    I'm a Tamiya collector and as such I get parts from Hong Kong and Japan because I can deal with people who not only know their product inside out but they more often than not have what I need in stock and can have it shipped to me within about three or four days.

    Hence, even if they could match prices - most Australian distributors fall a long way short.

  19. #97
    AUSRC Legend anf0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia - NSW
    Posts
    5,490
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
    So are you saying that because of the weak US dollar that things cost us here more too? Why is it that in US one can buy a Savage Flux for US$559 and here they are AU$850. You would thin they would have to be close since the Aussie importers would be getting the product at similar prices as the US based distributors.
    Of course there are other factors. The US orders literally 10 times more (probably more) than us, shipping is more expensive for a distributor in Australia, not only because of geographics but because most of the time our guys can't fill a container so every product is priced to make up for the shortfall... By the time the distributor makes a profit, and the shop makes a profit, a lot of that gap has been filled. There are plenty of factors.

    Why hasn't petrol become cheaper? In fact, it's more expensive. Why are you paying more for general goods and services? The US Dollar is the currency to the world. It's just the way it works.
    - RETIRED -

  20. #98
    R/C Apprentice tdunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    374
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by anf0 View Post
    Why hasn't petrol become cheaper? In fact, it's more expensive. Why are you paying more for general goods and services? The US Dollar is the currency to the world. It's just the way it works.
    Why not map fuel prices and their relationship to the vehicle currency over the past fifty years to prove your point ?

    Otherwise you're just making assumptions.

    It's not easy though considering you'd be comparing a pegged currency with a floating one and a regulated financial sector with a deregulated one.

    Then there's the issues of fix price versus flex price markets....... and so on.
    Last edited by tdunster; 11-09-2011 at 08:12 AM.

  21. #99
    Senior Moderator
    towie964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisvegas AYE!!
    Posts
    9,488
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by tdunster View Post
    Prices are the least of my concerns with Australian distributors.

    A total lack of customer service and their reluctance to carry a decent supply of spare parts is my main issue.

    I'm a Tamiya collector and as such I get parts from Hong Kong and Japan because I can deal with people who not only know their product inside out but they more often than not have what I need in stock and can have it shipped to me within about three or four days.

    Hence, even if they could match prices - most Australian distributors fall a long way short.
    You just answered your own question, also backing up what I have said previously in other threads...

    If you dont buy the model here in Australia, how are the importers/retailers meant to know what spares to carry? It stands to reason, that if we dont sell the car, as far as we know, there are no parts needed.

    This is the exact situation Losi had a year or so back, people were buying a particular model overseas, therefore the Licensed Importer had no idea of the demand for spares for that model, the model ended up being withdrawn from the Aussie Market because the supplier had no sales figures to work with, but as usual, people blamed the importer.




    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    Baja...Because Size Matters!

    Everybody is adding famous quotes to their sigs, so...My Mother to my Father on Disciplining me as a child....You hit him Noel, My Arm is getting tired.

  22. #100
    R/C God RogerDaShrubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,823
    Rep Power
    11
    This is the exact situation Losi had a year or so back, people were buying a particular model overseas, therefore the Licensed Importer had no idea of the demand for spares for that model, the model ended up being withdrawn from the Aussie Market because the supplier had no sales figures to work with, but as usual, people blamed the importer.
    Not always, even on permanent lines they carry there is little or no OEM parts support. You get better parts support out of the guys selling cheep HSP and Hobbywind stuff domestically. They at least carry every part for their models.

    I tried buying LRP spurs for my LRP and even tho the Aussie distributor showed them in stock, they were not, as were a few other parts, in the end i said F*** It and bought what i needed direct from LRP. Problem Solved.
    Last edited by RogerDaShrubber; 11-09-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Australian Festival of Speed
    By WaggaClint in forum General Talk - Non R/C
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 05:09 PM
  2. Australian Top Gear
    By a_hargy in forum General Talk - Non R/C
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
  3. Who reads Australian RC magazines?
    By zoomer in forum General Talk - R/C
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •